replacement parts expierences/problems | Page 2 | FerrariChat

replacement parts expierences/problems

Discussion in '206/246' started by GermanDino, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#26 dinogts, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    I second a lot of what Tony says.

I think it would be helpful to have this thread eventually summarized - first with a list of parts that have become very hard to source; and then second, a list of producers that sem to be making correct versions - some of the parts suppliers that some of us have been blasting seem to have at least a few items that are pretty good replacements, while other items they carry are not so good.

I also feel that it would be very helpful if we can identify suppliers that routinely offer good products and service in certain areas so we can encourage them to continue to do so.

If we can do this properly, we might be able to help some of the suppliers cut their bad inventory out and also try to help them find better sources.

Our problem is that there are not a lot of options left for us, and many of the suppliers don't see a large enough market that they can serve and make a reasonable profit in, at least not with just Dinos.

I know it might sound a little odd coming from me (since I sometimes get into a little bit of an attack mode), but I hope that this thread doesn't simply become a "gripe thread" that doesn't produce much positive information and encouragement - which is exactly what we, as Dino owners need, and what our suppliers need too.

Finally, I also think that what Synchro posted was very helpful. His photos clearly showed the dimensional differences between original parts and the replacement parts. And, it would be helpful if we were able to provide specific feedback, for example to JE Pistons, other than simply calling their pistons crap. I have heard of others being happy with JE, so they would probably appreciate feedback that told them what they should try to improve or correct. Sometimes that is very hard if you are the one who had problems with a product or part, but maybe as a group we can try to help mistakes get corrected and products improved, at least a little.

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Very well put and my sentiments entirely.

Although I think most reproduce parts to a good standard, as Rob C stated some time ago, going that extra 2% can be a lot more work but the rewards are a much better product.

I really like the idea of positive encouragement, these suppliers do need this and moreover help to identify the finer points which lift the item from a replacement part to a damn good reproduction.

Most people I have dealt with don't recognise the finer points but if we can get 100% quality with 95% accuracy I think that's the best any Dino owner can wish for.

What we as Dino owners do not want is these companies to say "sod it" and turn to more profitable parts for newer cars.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Tony -

Again, well said.

Let's try to move this thread forward in a positive fashion. Sure, we can (and should) identify parts and their suppliers that have dropped the ball, but let's try to be specific and state the problems and offer suggestions as to what needs to be done.

I think it would be great to say something like Dinoparts (or Maranello Concessionaires, Superformance - or whatever) - Euro side markers good, window seals good, lug nuts need work - should be longer, tie rod ends don't fit - should be larger by 3 mils, wiper blades too long for late E series, etc.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #29 synchro, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I purchased a set of Engine Rod Bearings from GT Car Parts and they arrived in a brown box with no manufacturer identification nor country of origin. Factory spec for the rod bearing clearance is .002" - .004" and my engine builder measure .001" which is far too tight. He also noticed that the inside lip has no witness mark line which occurs when manufacturing companies QC every part they produce.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #30 synchro, Apr 8, 2015
  6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

7. Svito

Svito Karting

May 13, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Svito Puko
    Why did you want to replace them? From what I see in the pics, they were just rusty, easy fix.

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #33 synchro, May 15, 2015
  9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #34 synchro, May 15, 2015
    DinoParts claim this crankcase ventilation hose is for TAV items 11-8,10,11,12

When it arrived I see their single small website photo hides the fact that it is not a hose but a plastic liner in a cloth sheath that can not support itself like the original so must use a spring to prevent collapsing failure. Buyer must cut to fit.
    Ferrari 246 GT/GTS: Engine: Engine Block: Crank case ventilation: Blow by hose set
    Ventilation hose, between carbs + air box
    Set 72,90 EUR

Look at this situated on top of my existing - not long enough by 2 ft to make those 4 hoses and the diameter is too small.
    Poor quality DinoParts!

I can't imagine this would survive the heat of a Dino Engine oil breathing system.
    Unfortunately, UPS wants to charge me $75 to return it (72,90 EUR cost) and DinoParts insists I must pay for shipping.

Why can't websites have multiple photos and accurate descriptions of what you are buying?
    This is not just a waste of my money but a waste of my time
    </end of rant>

10. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    what a joke.... these guys are long off my parts dealer list.....

11. williamsondc

williamsondc Rookie

Aug 14, 2006
    Australia
    Never buy a water pump impellor from Dinoparts. One was not remotely usable. The other was not centered around the pulley hole, it could be pushed onto the pulley with hand force! We had to fit a grub screw to top fix the complete lack of grip. Dinoparts did not believe us or offer any support but we're instead very rude.
    Thankfully we have a fantastic mechanic able to source or create much of the parts/upgrades we require.
    If you are interested Matthias I was thinking of cnc milling some hi flow impellers (not that you probably need it in Germany :p).
    David

12. snowsports1

snowsports1 Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2013
    UK
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Don't buy anything from there, none of it is correct, they still owe me 5000 euros

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Received a polite email from the new owner, Stefan, he is crediting both incorrect hoses I showed with no return. He appreciated the input to sort out the previous owner's mislabelled inventory.

Very good form, thank you.

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If I recall correctly Superformance did the correct hoses, in kit form too.

I bought a set and they were perfect but that was some years ago

Tony

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #40 4CamGT, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    It would be good to know more about the new owner and his attitudes towards great service and great products serving the Dino community. I hope he would want to interact on this site to earn the trust of a global community of potential customers. As it was, like many of you, I had no interest in being a customer. For most of us, this is a fun passionate hobby and should be a pleasure to deal with vendors with a common passion for our cars. It's a huge opportunity for a vendor. As an example, look at the many successful vendors serving the Porsche 356 and early 911's.

Freeman

16. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #41 synchro, May 29, 2015
  17. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    Where are all those "new" parts manufactured ? China...? Romania...?

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #43 GermanDino, Jul 16, 2015
    Hello, does anybody have any experience with the reproduction aluminium fuel tanks from Superformance? Do they fit? Are they a 100% copy of the original tanks?

19. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    does anybody know where I can get distributor spring ignition points in original nos quality?
    all reproduction spring ignition points (DinoParts, Superformance) I tried didn`t last very long... 500 Km... extremely poor quality....
    Ferrari Eberlein has the same problems, the reproduction spring ignition points simply are useless....

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    dinogts knows this from his experience with British car parts for several years now. Apparently the overseas reproductions have economically forced the quality Euro makers out of business and the cheap points don't last.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even MM points were getting really terrible. They were far from the quality we got in the 80's. So even if NOS is found it may not be any good.

synchro likes this.
  22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If it wasn't for low quality, there would be none.

synchro likes this.
  23. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    China junk....

24. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #49 synchro, Jul 17, 2015
    Alfa Ricambi in LA sold Marelli and UFI in the '80's

25. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Matthias,

What is failing on the ignition points? Are they getting hot? Are the springs breaking? Is the contact tip burning up? What ignition system are you using inside your Dinoplex?

Freeman