Denise McCluggage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Denise McCluggage

Discussion in 'Who's Who in Ferrari Universe' started by synchro, May 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I met her some years ago at a dinner held in conjunction with the Euro Auto Festival in South Carolina. I remember reading her columns years ago in AutoWeek and was very impressed with her writing style. Of course, she chuckled at the references to herself as "Denise McSuitcase" and she always seemed to be smiling. And we need to remember her driving prowess as one of the pioneers of woman's racing, years before Janet, Lynn, Danica and the others. May she rest in peace.

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I had the pleasure of hearing her speak one evening in the late 1990s at Joe Marchetti's Como Inn in Chicago. After dinner I was in the bar listening to Joe's son play piano and guess who sat next to me? Between sets she told story after story. My two favorites were the time Dr. Thompson clipped the front of her car during a race and she knew she couldn't afford to keep racing because everything she owned was tied up in the car. The other was when she was at Chinetti's with Miles Davis and someone blew a horn and Miles responded "E and F." A great woman who was a true treasure to the automotive world.

3. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    It is hard to realize that today it is one year since Denise passed on. When I go to the Santa Fe Bar and Grill for Tuesdays Car Table somehow I still expect to see her there before reality sets in. This poem which contains one of her book titles was almost prescient.

With rue my heart is laden
    For golden friends I had,
    For many a rose-lipt maiden
    And many a lightfoot lad.

By brooks too broad for leaping
    The lightfoot boys are laid;
    The rose-lipt girls are sleeping
    In fields where roses fade.

Rest in peace my friend.

Best regards,

Robert

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    It is now two years ago that Denise left us, and I miss her terribly.

Robert

5. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Three years ago she left us. Amazing how time seems to pass so quickly. Seems like only yesterday we walked together out of the Santa Fe Bar and Grill from the Tuesday Car Table meeting she started so many years ago. Still leaves a lump in my throat thinking back over the half century we knew each other as friends.

Robert

6. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Ran into this thread and it brought back the couple of times I had the pleasure of meeting her. She was part of an era and world of cars that I luckily got to revisit today. A car show in Beverly Hills (not snooty at all) had four machines that I think she would have enjoyed driving...and probably did. There was a wonderful silver 1963 Corvette Sting Ray split window coupe with knock off wheels. There was a 1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA (a genuine Autodelta car in full track specs). There was a great little 1955 Fiat 8V Zagato coupe. And maybe the most irresistible, a 1950 Touring bodied Ferrari Berlinetta. Whatever there is beyond this, I'm sure she is making the most of it in her own way.

9. rse1851

rse1851 Rookie

Jul 2, 2008
    Rome GA
    Full Name:
    Steven Eckhoff
    I met her at Shelton Ferrari in 1989 when I had sold the alloy 275 NART Spider she and Pinky raced to a 2nd in class finish at Sebring in ‘67. Car left for Europe a few weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat