Just how fast | FerrariChat

Just how fast

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, May 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just how fast can a stock boxer really go. Ferrari said 188 on a BB, but that was marketing BS. I rmemebr a R&T test of a BBI where they got to 166 or soemthign but that was a federalised car.

Seems there are any number of credible reports of daytonas getting intot he 170s, although these may be period speedometer numbers and somewheat suspect.
    But tot his day I have never read a credible maxed out BB or BBI top speed, liek soemhtign on a GPS.

I think "in theory" my car would loose accalerative pace somewhere around the high 5krpm say 5800 range in 5th where aero forces really begin to blunt drive and you are gobbling up road too fast to keep at it, what speed would that be in relaity?. On a long enough stretch of road I have no doubt that it would pull past 6k rpm I assume to the power peak soemwhere around 6600, but never found such a stretch of road and the long straight at monticello is not long enough to find out. Anyone ever done it.

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    fastest i had the bbi was at about 145 mph on the way through aosta going to the targa florio in 2009. lots of rattling and roaring.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    fastest with GPS I have been going with my BB koenig 1977 ( koenig says 450 hp ) has been here in germany on the autobahn with 279 km/h, so about 174 mph, but it was terrible driving, loud, rattering and shattering. with my TR koenig competition I drive 210 mph it is is much more comfortable ( if you already can say at that speed comfortable :) )

but I remember in a motor sport newspaper the 512 koenig had been tested and they reached 298 km/h ( but they don´t tell how they tested this speed and at that time a GPS none was dreaming about ). but it was the first car with a price more than 200.000 german marks. so at that time about 100k dollar

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    145 mph is 7k rpm in 4th, I can punch up there pretty quickly even ont he straight at monticello, and its pretty stable, the high 5k rpm in 5th is probaly 155-160 or so, as you guys say lots of rattle shake going on and acceration past thta point is what i would term incremental.

I think after Newman does my next eo and we redo the supension bushings I will have to try see what a BBi can really do. Seems like 160s is a known quatity and speds above thta require a really really long stretch.

My sens eis a Daytona is a betetr more stable hgh pseed msiile, whereas a BB is more a corner carver, good for the modern age.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Would really like toi here your general compro between a BBI and aTR.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i have probably warbled on about this theme before, but will try again.

the bbi is engaging to drive because it takes more muscle to move things around, and you feel closer to the action because there is more noise, and the cabin is tight so you feel more like you are strapped into a race car. but it is also not nearly as sophisticated, the interior fiat parts bin bits feel cheap and awful. the leather dash parts dont always line up.

the 512tr is a much bigger car and harder to wheel around town because of it. harder to park. but the gear changes seem smoother. the steering is heavy, but less so than the bbi, and you get a little more leverage on that bigger wheel. the aircon works, the radio works well - even tho i dont really listen to it. all the interior feels a little better designed and put together. there is less road noise and less engine and wind noise. at high speed it is a vault. i have probably driven the bbi higher than 145, but that was the first memory that came to mind when you asked. the 512tr on the other hand, i have vmaxed all over the place and it just stays planted.

basically the bbi is a wonderful car, but you feel the age, and you are conscious of its failings and the risk in pushing it to any limits. the 512tr feels like a more complete car, but not as sporty.

as far as attention, the bbi does not attract the same looks or reactions. people mistake it for the 308 all the time. so few were seen in period anyway, that the unknowing can be forgiven.

whereas the 512tr always gets looks and elicits joyous reactions (now, as opposed to 15 years ago when i would either get spit on or worse). that 512tr is the most iconic modern ferrari imo. the design has such an impact on people and it screams exotic and outrageous excess. even non tifosi like it.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A good friend tried it is his once. Said it overheated the oil before it ran out of HP. Hence the great big oil cooler on the TR and the BBLM for that matter. It has also been said, even by Ferrari that the stability becomes an issue.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Had the same issue in a Lp5000. Whenver I would push past an indicated 165(whatever that really was) oil and water temps would rise at the same rate as the revs. At an indicated 175ish temps woudl be so high det woudl set in. Then I woudl back off and temps would drop. The Ct seemed to have more drive at these higher speeds than the BBi.
    But above 160ish in the ct I was literealy contersteerign a weave to keep going straight, almost like a boat chine walking where you contersteer to keep it on an even keel, and the front end was real light, early 911 light.. This was in South Africa where there were long big open roads to play with.

On the BBi I notice oil temps can rise, but not so much with speed,(maybe havent gone real fast or for too long.) more like when you are workign it in 3rd and 4th. From the little high speed I have done in BBI car it feels a lot more planted than in the front end than the Ct when up there, althoug a lot less stable on say 120-130mph bends. A BB is most def a slow in fast out kinda car, ct felt more neutral and direct.

One of these days... its simply gotta be tried for posterity.

Anybody know of a dead Tr, I have a 512M motor laying around.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i suspect that if you took a bbi and completely stripped it apart and rebuilt it and used some good newer parts where needed, added modern rims and rubber, maybe lowered it a bit, that you could get it to head towards 180 mph, and make it feel comfortable doing it.

thats basically what i tried to do with mine, and it felt pretty good. but it was scary compared to all my other fcars - so i must not have done it right, or my expectations were too high, or my courage not high enough.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #10 boxerman, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    I am going to say that the rear of a boxer always will have that unpredicatble feeling. You get used to it, and its an attribute, but at spreed ita all exagerated.

Whereas the Daytona by rep was always supremly stable at speed. Thats probablya good reason why the boixer was nto so loved in period, esp as they ahd the same crappy tires as a daytona, sou really did nto take adavantge of the me layout.

I hear if you want a really scary ride at speed try a miura.

Modern rubber gives my BBi oddles of grip, more predictability and better ride, it does not make it feel less twichy at speed. I suspect that bushings and appropriate alignment could change that a lot, after all a Tr is really a lwb boxer. Next time I may try Tr alignment settings. Its gotta be correctable, a BBLM is essetialy the same chasiis and suspension, the ealry ones had close to stock bodywork and ran big speeds on track. Shocks bushigs and tires. My guess is stock bushings are very soft as are the roll bars to cope witht he crappy tires, when you change tires one probably needs to sitten the rest up too.

Lets say its going to take a long piece of road and brave sould to push a stock BB past 170, and there better not be a bend in the middle. I think the TRXs are only rated for 155.

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The BB is a single-purpose built car. Not the fastest....certainly not the most comfortable ...joke of an a/c system.......not great for long trips unless you like your clothes (and you) steamed........nor easy to drive as it does require strength for clutch and steering........

It's built for the thrill of the drive. No slacking allowed either physically nor mentally. But the sensory overload is phenomenal. Sight......sound........feel.........and the smells that emanate from the car after a rollick through the hillside roads. You have had a great drive in the BB when after you climb out of the car and you can smell the fuel, exhaust, oil, clutch and yourself!! The 5 fragrances of the BB!

12. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    If memory serves correctly, Phil Hill drove a 512 BB 176 mph for Road and Track magazine, clocked speed. In June 1975, Road & Track clocked Bud Keeney's 365 BB at 175 mph. As for Daytona's. I recall Dean Batchelor telling me his top speed run, for Road & Track, in the Daytona (173 mph) was the least dramatic high speed run he had ever made.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And you are dehydrated drained and ready for a a great sleep.

You sir hit the nail on the head.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A euro spec daytona maybe faster?
    We know the Boxer is going to be dramtic at speed. I wonder what revs Phil Hill was pulling.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In the 6 May 1978 issue, Autocar road tested the Ferrari 512 BB, claimed at the time to be the fastest road car in production.

Our testers were slightly disappointed to tease a top speed of only 163mph from the Berlinetta Boxer’s 4942cc, 12-cylinder engine, compared with Maranello’s claimed 188mph.

“Try as we might, we could persuade no more than a mean 163mph at 5975rpm from the beast, while the car’s electronic speedometer read 174mph,” they reported.

The performance generated a torrent of responses from readers, some of whom shared Autocar’s disappointment at the maximum speed its testers had achieved.

David Steinberg of London wrote: “I own a 1974 365 GT4 BB and have seen 195mph on the clock on the Stuttgart-Basel motorway at 6am.”

GH Jones of Dollis Hill reckoned we’d made a mistake: “I fail to believe this figure of 163mph is correct, as other road tests show figures of 197 and 188mph. You state the acceleration from 0-60mph as 6.2sec, whereas another magazine says it takes only 5.1sec. How can your figures vary so much?”

Autocar’s road test team responded thus: “Autocar is the first British motoring magazine to measure a Boxer’s performance accurately – which among other things means attaching an accurate speed measuring device to the test car – and not to rely on the car’s own speedometer, which above 150mph can be grossly optimistic.

“What one may see ‘on the clock’ in one direction is, with the greatest of respect, neither here nor there. There is not the slightest doubt about the performance we measured; it is what that particular car was capable of in the condition in which it was presented to us.

“That said, was that particular 512 BB au point? On hearing our results, Maranello Concessionaires suspect that it was not. They propose to check the car thoroughly and return it to Autocar for retest, which we shall perform.”

The test team laid bare their workings, proving that the Ferrari as tested could not have hit the hallowed speed: “To reach the magic 188mph, with the car geared as it is at 27.28mph per 1000rpm and not allowing for any possible tyre growth, the engine would have to rev at 6900rpm, well past the 6200rpm peak. Unless the power curve is absolutely flat, the gearing would seem to indicate a lower top speed than is claimed.”

Autocar nevertheless held the £26,104 car in high regard: “If the ultimate top-end performance is not within the Berlinetta Boxer’s grasp, it is more than compensated for by its flexibility. Snap open the throttle from 2000rpm upwards in any gear and the car surges forward.

“Ferrari has done a magnificent job but it would be nice to be able to say, if only for the Guinness Book of Records, that the Boxer truly is the fastest production car in the world.”

Previous Throwback Thursdays

16. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    280 km/h on speedo many years ago.

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do you know if they mentioned (significantly) increasing the (cold) tire pressure in the article for >155 MPH operation as the BB512 OM specs? You get the double bonus doing that...

18. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Boxerman: I do recall that Paul Frere clocked a Daytona at 176 mph for a two way average in Europe.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Based on revs and the above article I may have just cracked 160 in mine in theory of course theoreticaly not so long ago. If a BBI can go 170 its going to need a lot of road to get there, because above 5700rpm the speed gain comes on slow. Well maybe I I cosed the windows there would be less aero drag and it could come on a bit faster.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  21. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I asked something similar aimed at our friends who have access to the Autobahn with a Boxer. It's a thread on here in the Boxer section - IIRC, it was north of 150, but I don't recall seeing things like the Youtube vids for the BMW M6 with the GPS showing speeds over 320kph etc. My point is really fast with confirmation.

I dare say, the BB sure feels pretty fast, especially given its age.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great writing and 100 % true
    driving such car nearly to the limit in public traffic ( that means about 60 % at a racetrack ) makes so much fun if you know how to drive and also enjoy the hard handling. so nothing for "motherboys". that was real driving at that time and not like today where you only accelerate and steer and the electronic always beeps when the distance to the front or the rear car is too small.

23. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    IMHO you gents are missing the point. It is about Style and Swagger. Agreed a certain amount of speed is required which my Boxer has plenty of. But in end I would rank Style and Swagger above Speed.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    :Originally Posted by SCantera View Post
    "The BB is a single-purpose built car. Not the fastest....certainly not the most comfortable ...joke of an a/c system.......not great for long trips unless you like your clothes (and you) steamed........nor easy to drive as it does require strength for clutch and steering........

It's built for the thrill of the drive. No slacking allowed either physically nor mentally. But the sensory overload is phenomenal. Sight......sound........feel.........and the smells that emanate from the car after a rollick through the hillside roads. You have had a great drive in the BB when after you climb out of the car and you can smell the fuel, exhaust, oil, clutch and yourself!! The 5 fragrances of the BB!
    great writing and 100 % true
    driving such car nearly to the limit in public traffic ( that means about 60 % at a racetrack ) makes so much fun if you know how to drive and also enjoy the hard handling. so nothing for "motherboys". that was real driving at that time and not like today where you only accelerate and steer and the electronic always beeps when the distance to the front or the rear car is too small."

You two have hit the essence on its head. One of the reasons why a boxer has not been worth what some other ferraris are, is it takes a driver to actualy use one, and as we know these days not to many of those about.

I always marvel when I go on a club run, the BBi can set the pace for the others, while I am workingn for my speed and having fun, they are managing systems. The speed at which you are not managing suystems in a modern on the road its the speed of insanity anbd really only attainable past 9/10ths on track.

BTW I think "theoreticaly" as of yesterday a BBi like mine will pull to 6K rpm in 5th, in a relaitivey reasonable distance. There is more to go for sure. Putting the windows up makes a big difference. Above 5500 rpm it all settles down again and tracks well, but you do "theoreticaly" get the feeling of skating on ice, any significant lane change or turn would be setting a frisbee in motion.

I am going to suspect that on my car modern rubber and worn/soft suspension bushings means there is a toe in toe out effect in the rear when loaded, and that a suspension redo, alignment to tr specs, and maybe something like penseke shocks would work with the modern rubber to have it handle more like a BBLM, in which case corners at 170 should be fine.

Long ago I discovered that some great pads means the stock brakes when workign properly are just fine, well good enough for a few massive slowdowns at the end of along straight on a track, ie more than you will need at speed on the road.

I do lament the moma boys moderns, they are fast and stable for sure, but besides being good in traffic, whats the point.