Where did you buy your first used Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Where did you buy your first used Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wthensler, Apr 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks all for your responses ! Great advice and lots of information to consider......

This will be my first Ferrari ownership experience, and of course I want it to be a positive one. I've always been pretty lucky with cars (knock on wood), new and used (oops, pre-owned), but as always chance favors the prepared mind (Louis Pasteur).

With all due respect, after a bit of poking around, i don't think the Cali is the car for me - I'd be happier with the more traditional mid-engine design, something a bit more primitive and aggressive (assuming I won't make the pages of wreckedexotics.com). Maybe it's just the engineer in me....or that I'd rather go camping than out to dinner.

I might keep my options and price range open and include the 430, dunno yet.....

Thanks again!!

Bill H.

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Touché my bro !

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Pretty sure the 458 would better fit my edgy side. Not in a huge hurry, and will unload my Carrera first.

I plan to visit Algars. I do need to familiarize myself with the car and available options.

Interestingly, there's an exotic car place that does rentals here in Phila, and they have a 485 coupe, so maybe not be a bad way to experience it without pressure. My history of visiting dealers 'just to have a look and a quick test drive' has generally had disastrous consequences for my wallet.......

4. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    correct - however anything metallic (as in nero daytona) is even faster than red :)

5. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    LOL - are we related?

6. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Ebay. Sold it there, too.

7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bought from dealer.....worst car buying experience ever!
    They were full of lies, promised things that weren't done to the car when it arrived at my house 1,300 miles away. Then ignored my phone calls to make it right. Finally called back after I posted on Fchat and they found out (to tell me that they were not happy! LMAO). Still dragged me along until I took it to the next level legally and they finally sent me a check for the proper repairs! (took a few months total)
    Not fun. Just remember, they are nothing but used car salesmen/dealers! I was completely blindsided because I had an expectation since it was a higher end brand. I have been treated better at EVERY other dealership that I've done business with for dozens of cars that I've purchased. (after the sale when they had my money....before the sale, I was treated like a king)
    Just be careful, have everything written down (thankfully I did) and don't hand that check over until the car is EXACTLY as you agreed when you take possession of that car.
    Once you hand the check over they don't have any incentive to do anything to the car because that just comes out of their bottom line.

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Sadly, I learned that lesson long ago with my first sports car (240 z). Probably an order of magnitude ( or two! ) less than yours, but I was a starving graduate student back then, so it's all relative. However, one should expect better treatment with such a limited and expensive brand of car. My (perhaps unfounded) concern is that with such high end cars there is much, much less choice when it comes to purchase and/or service, but that is something everyone here has faced, and there appear to be many happy folks on this forum service and purchase-wise.

Regardless of how and where, I won't be purchasing this car sight unseen. If necessary, the cost of a plane ticket and a day's time are worth a good night's sleep.

9. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    My first is my only ever.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I bought mine from Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I took a flight down to see my car because I felt the same way as you. I wanted to be sure of what I was buying, there was nothing sight unseen. Every issue was pointed out, they promised to fix it.....they didn't. It's as simple as that. They LIED to my face.
    You have to trust me when I say that it was ridiculously bad. I have purchased a lot of cars and have never had issues like this.
    I also would like to add that I had another Fchatter PM me that bought from the same dealer and they promised him a certain situation with his car (I think it was regarding a trade in). When he went back, they refused to honor it. Their reasoning was that the general manager from back then (the same guy I dealt with) got fired! He was completely useless so I could see why. However, the deal with the dealership was made and they used the excuse that the other manager was fired and said that they are not honoring HIS deals! IT was not his PERSONAL deal, he was acting as a representative of the dealer and the dealer should honor it even though the employee is gone. Well, similar to my situation, he had to get very aggressive going after them before they finally agreed to their offer that was fully documented. It's amazing how that dealer knows that if it's on paper they will have to eventually follow through with what they agreed on, but they still make the customer fight. They are hoping that the customer just gives up and goes away! Unbelievable business tactics. I would never treat my clients that way, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.
    I heard that same tactic from at least 2 others since then as well.

12. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    FOLI and FOFL. I've never had a better buying experience. That includes numerous Porsche and MB dealers.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The rental can cut both ways. On the one hand, you have the car for the day. On the other hand, this will be a car that has probably been not just used, but likely abused, and thus there might be rattles or even the alignment could be a little out. You might not get to see the car in its best light. If you plan to put a ton of miles on it, it might be a good way to see what its like with lots of miles. Perhaps you could see if the dealer would grant you a bit of an extended test drive. My guess is they won't but you never know.

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #39 wthensler, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
    About the rental - the COO (wife) and I were discussing today on our drive down to the Blue Ridge Mtns (talk about Ferrari roads, anyone ever been on 211? ) She liked the idea of having the car for two days. I'm 6' height wise, but I always liked driving with the seat fairly reclined. I can do that in a mid-engine Porsche because of the hatchback shape, I dont know how it'll be in the 458 after several hours, and I want to know how the car will fit me.

Rentals are two days, So it'll give us a great opportunity to really experience it. I will definitely ask about the age and mileage of the car before going this route. I get your point about the condition, etc.

By the way, the COO gives a thumbs up to the looks of the 458.....

Bill H.

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Bought both of mine local to me within 10 miles. Searched high and low for my 328 and found an ad in Hemmings for one close to me, private seller car was over serviced by the local F dealer. It was 10 years old with 12K on the speedo.
    The 355 was bought from another F chat person,mentioned I was looking for one and got a PM from him. Checked it out and bought it, well serviced by a local Indy shop.

16. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Cars.com and Prestige Motor Works on Long Island. There were some things that slipped through the cracks but overall it was the best for it's model east of the Mississippi. Top tray of tools, tire bottle, cover, valve stem caps, rear view mirror, and tonneau cover were all missing. Paint was molested with crazy custom job early on in Hawaii, but served as it's best conserving factor. I bought it on the higher end of the range for low mileage but got a grand off by negotiation and transportation thrown in. I think it may have had some mileage rolled off but interior is in excellent condition and the driver's bolster only shows minor wear. The shop is known for their BMWs, Audis and restored 50s classics. There was a black Cadillac with fins on the back just getting started when I bought the Ferrari. The staff was pleasant, responsive and sincere. They even sent me a bottle of Rosso Corsa touch up paint a few weeks later and helped straighten out the title via FedEx with strict MA rules.

17. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I'm 6'2, the car fits fine around me mate, it's older ferraris I find can be tough to mould myself into. I have the carbon racing seats, with manual adjustment, and comfort is perfect. Drove for three hours straight last weekend, no issues at all, and I have a niggle in my back almost permanently, so a fit person should be happy

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Let us know what you think. Getting COO approval is always wise!

19. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Craigslist out of state sight unseen. Relied on reputable shop that knew the owner and car.

20. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Bought my first used Ferrari from Universal Autosports in NY, from Pete Spinella.

More specifically, it was a race car.

The most dangerous thing in the world is buying 1) a used car 2) a used Ferrari and 3) a used Ferrari race car.

It was a great experience - before, during and after. He's smart enough to know relationships matter more than a transaction, and wise enough to know how to match the client to a car (or, not to).

Pete is among the very best, knows his s_it and a stand up guy. His business does "sell used cars", but more a bit of a small curated inventory, his real work is the shop and racing.

If you're in Philly and serious about buying a used Ferrari, it's worth speaking with Pete. (he sponsors Fchat as well). It's a short drive.

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

Name the dealer. Help out the forum.

22. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ferrari of Washington, 2010, was a 2002 TDF 360 spider. Still a picture of her on my profile page, I think.

23. mambodave

mambodave Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Charlotte NC
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ditto..

24. drake123

drake123 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2012
    Pa
    Full Name:
    Drake
    #49 drake123, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Bought my first one a 330 2+2 from an ad in the NY Times classifieds in 1972. Loved the car but for business reasons I sold it 6 years later. (Wish I still had it) It's still alive and well in upstate Michigan.

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I found both of mine on Ebay. Found, not bought. In both cases, the sellers and I got to chat on the phone and exchange information. The first one I flew in, inspected the car and drove her home the next day (it had a fresh engine out from a respected shop that knew the car well).

Second Fcar was local and in a large exotic collection. It also had a fresh belt service from a known shop so all I did was give it a quick test drive and check out the basics with a flash light. Then I went over the records etc.

I would buy a FCar sight unseen only if it had a PPI by a Ferrari Dealer (not the selling dealer) and eyes on by some one I trust who owns the same model (Fchatter?).

I did a quick and dirty inspection for another member on a TR a while ago. He just wanted to confirm that the car started, ran and general condition. The car was 'as advertised' with the caveat that it could have some internal issue that only an in depth road evaluation would reveal. Started, idled fine, no smoke, all interior buttons worked, paint work was normal etc.