Visiting Baltimore- looking for things to do | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Visiting Baltimore- looking for things to do

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Heat Seeker WS6, Apr 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flipjack

Flipjack Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Balt. is a terrible and terribly run city and has been for a very long time. I too spend ample time there unfortunately. There are blocks upon blocks upon blocks of abandoned buildings and even the "nice" commercial places like Harbor East get regularly swarmed upon by gangs of marauders who have absolutely no respect for anything or anybody whatsoever. I know a lot of the outside investment interests who have recently come, have had big time second thoughts. And who would blame them? Most people who come from out of town are shocked. A lot of business people won't dare take clients out in Baltimore for fear of what they might be exposed to.

There are literally blue flashing police light thingies the city places on street lights that are meant to indicate to people that they are in a high crime area and could get jacked at any time and to get out ASAP. And they're EVRYWHERE!! And if you happen to be in one of the very few places where they are not, go one or two streets the wrong direction and you're in "the zone". The city is basically telling people for their own safety not to come there, and for very good reason.

Goggle "Baltimore 12 oclock boys". Just do it. Watch some of the videos. That is what Baltimore is really like. And it isn't isolated, they go EVERYWHERE and the police do absolutely NOTHING and are expressly ordered not to. If one were blindfolded and dropped in many parts of Baltimore they could seriously think they were in Mogadishu.

Esp. in the summer when its hot there can be 2,3,4 murders in a day. I believe last year it was 330 something total. And yes there are a lot of police brutality lawsuits, mainly because the city has some real gems of marquee tort attorneys like Billy Murphy (look him up). You couldn't pay me $10 million a year to be a Balt. cop. The job these people are tasked with is simply unimaginable and then the mayor ties their hands behind their backs and then throws them under the bus when something unfortunate happens regarding policing after she fosters and insights a culture of violence and crime.

But its not just her in all fairness, its all of us and all of America. When you idolize and iconize admitted ex-drug king pins like JayZ and give him a virtual open door policy to the whithouse and have him play an integral (and very successful) get out the vote initiative; make superstars out of people like Ice Cube and put him in lead roll of "mainstream" PG-13 kid movies, coors beer ads etc, and feature people like Dr. Dre's namesake audio products in mainstream Chrysler and Apple products (Apple actually ended up paying him billions for his crappy co.) this is what you'll get. The message is, be a thug and a gangster and a racist and a drug dealer and beat up and demean women and you will be justly rewarded as a superstar. These people made their very fame and fortunes being racists and abusers of women, with "music" groups with the N-word in their name, with songs like "cop killer", and "F the police", "tear this (city) m-fer up" just to name a very few. And they are widely accepted as mainstream media icons. Juxtapose the full bore media demonizing campaigns and taking of property from people like Paula Deane and Donald Sterling. Its quite a world we live in.

It isn't even a fair characterization to call the mayor incompetent, in fact she is very competent at achieving her intended result. She wants this. I know it might sound unbelievable but its true IMO. She is basking in this attention and she knows that ordering the police to do nothing and let this stuff go on is how she gets a lot of her votes. They have successfully executed voter campaigns throughout the city and this is what you get, a lot of the voting populis want this and this kind of attention and lawlessness for and in the city..

Now mind you the current mayor first became mayor because she was head of City Council and the lovely woman who had just been elected mayor before her was case-closed no questions asked charged with stealing many thousands of dollars of food stamps and gift cards from city coffers, yes food stamps. So the now mayor, then head of city council, got to work setting the stage for the mayoral thief to quietly step away from office without putting up a fight because as per city charter if mayor post abandoned it gets filled for remainder of term by head of city council. Voila!! Like magic, a made mayor without one single vote. Best part, and not well known part, part of that negotiation was to grant the crook her full pension for lifetime, and no prosecution, no fines no nothing, just step aside, collect your full pension for life and let me take over. Current mayors father was a lifetime figure in MD politics also, and apparently was quite the prolific "deal maker" himself. Its so corrupt its disgusting.

The one good thing about Balt., security concerns notwithstanding, its a great place to keep a boat. Way better than Annap. (waters too congested) or DC where your basically relegated to the Potomac river. There are some really nice marinas right near the main width of the bay. Just go straight to the water, park in the locked parking, do your boat thing and go home.

Anyone coming to Balt. Stay as close to the interstate as possible (escape route) and stay within the city limits as little as possible. Go to DC. Its only 40 miles. It isn't a problem free place, but it is far from being Baltimore, very far. Gee I wonder if the fed.s maintaining some authority over the local gov't might have anything to do with it??

Cars and coffee at Katie's in Great Falls, VA the biggest but way early Sat like 6. Annap C&C smaller but way more laid back and not brutally early Sun 8:30ish. The museum of American history in DC has quite an auto collection, like hundreds of very significant cars, But last I was there which was many years ago, they put them all in storage and completely replaced what was a vast display of autos with a civil rights movement display. They actually have/had a mucked-up bus that you can go on and sit in the back of it and pretend your Rosa Parks. Its not decades' worth of Indy 500 winning cars but pretty cool nonetheless.

2. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I don't remember students burning down any CVS or Community Centers after basketball wins...

3. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Flapjack, nice write up. I'll stay in Annapolis, thank you. Baltimore is fast becoming a cesspool due to crime, lib politics, graft and corruption. It's a city in decline.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

4. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Get this. The Orioles are going to play their ball game tonight, but it is closed to the public. What the fug?

5. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I'll watch on TV, like I was going to do anyhow.

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    If you are coming to Baltimore now bring marshmallows, hot dog's and a bullet proof vest. Nothing but animals doing the damage. Takes away from what good folks are trying to do.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    No, you've probably just isolated yourself to the point where you can't relate to anyone that doesn't share your same life experiences. You probably also lack much capacity for empathy. Just a guess, but I imagine I'm right.

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    You're spot on, you know me so well. My parents didn't raise their kids to be animals and we were taught to chose our friends wisely and to respect law and order.

9. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

Game is on tomorrow, closed to the public.

10. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    I was disappointed to no end at the screaming and incensing of the people INSIDE THE CHURCH!!! at Mr Gray's funeral by pastors and senators. Then quiet interviews days later with the same people calling for peace were also hollow and obviously BS.

I have a feeling things are gonna continue for a while. It might just take one media-twisted statement...

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

A bit outside of town, but interesting and fun is Chesapeake City, MD. Don't know when crab season really fires up, but head there for good food, and an interesting town.

I think a bar called "the Taproom" is the place to go for crabs, but I'm working from memory.

D

12. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You're welcome to join me down in court... I'm there 4 out of 5 days per week. Or we can set you up to shadow a doc at Mercy's ER for a day. We've built careers around making Baltimore a better place but we're giving up real soon. Been beating our heads against that wall for 17 years now. Even a large capacity for empathy runs out at some point.
    And 88testarossa doesn't need anyone to stick up for him as he can speak for himself, but boy have you pegged him wrong.

Can we be done swinging our edicks now?

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Next two games are now moved to their minor league complex down here in St. Pete FL.

gonna see if I can grab some tickets.

D

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    That's a great place to watch a game!!!

15. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    You're lucky Dave. Last I checked they were killing it today 6-0. It has to be very weird playing to an empty stadium. The sad part is how the riots are draining the local economy and forcing those with jobs to forgo their income.

I feel truly sorry for the innocent people who are affected and the business owners, many who very well may face bankruptcy or take their business elsewhere. The economic toll and burden on the taxpayers is not trite.

16. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    To the OP:
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't worry about coming to Baltimore - especially if your company is putting you up in one of the tourist hotels around the Inner Harbor and Harbor East. The entire Inner Harbor area gets special attention from BPD because they know it's the economic engine that helps drive the city - and pay for the corruption the Flapjack mentions.

In many respects, Baltimore is a tale of two cities - the White Baltimore and the Black Baltimore. And the two couldn't be more different. For example, while the protests and riots were going on Saturday afternoon downtown by City Hall and the stadium, rich white folk were drinking wine and eating cheese in the bucolic countryside for the Hunt Cup, an annual equestrian event.

I live not too far from where the Hunt Cup is held and I work in the city. And I don't mean the part of the city that most people work - in an office tower downtown. I work in a building that's decidedly on the East Side, in a The Wire kind of neighborhood, just a few blocks from where the senior center was burned down. Because of this, I tend to see both sides of Baltimore and I'm not one to be scared off by either.

Baltimore itself is a pleasant city overall. There are nice places to eat, nice museums and quite a lot of things to do. As with any major city anywhere in the world, there are places that you probably don't want to go - like I don't visit the banlieues in Paris, or go to the northeast in Mexico City. I would recommend not visiting the Wilkens Avenue area or the general area west of MLK Blvd. to North Avenue, then across North Avenue to the East Side north of Patterson Park.

But the rest of the city is perfectly fine to visit. Places like the Charles Street corridor up to Johns Hopkins University and northward to the county, including Hampden and Charles Village. Out to the east of the Inner Harbor through Harbor East, Fells Point and Canton are all nice areas to visit. Then in the south through Federal Hill and Locust Point - all should be perfectly safe areas to visit during your stay here.

And you don't have to go to Annapolis for C&C, there's one every Saturday from 8am to 10am at the Hunt Valley Town Center straight up I-83 about 25 minutes from the Inner Harbor. And of course, the Radcliffe event is this Saturday and that's always worthwhile attending.

Let me know what you like to do and I can help direct you.

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

This would be the way to do it for this Saturday. Hunt Valley for C&C, and then over to Radcliffe. Those 2 areas are pretty close, and connected by some nice roads and great scenery.

I have been to Autobahn once. I am not a huge fan of electric carts, but it does cut down on the noise and make it a more pleasant environment. The nice thing is it is huge and has 2 different tracks. One is very tight, the other more open and high speed. Because there are 2 tracks things move pretty quickly and you aren't stuck waiting around forever.

Indoor Go Cart Racing in Baltimore MD- Go Kart Racing in Jacksonville FL- Autobahn Indoor Speedway Baltimore - Washington D.C. Area

It loks like they are planning to open another location in White Marsh and one in Manasses this year.

18. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Made it to Canton just before curfew and ate at Nacho Mamas last night. Night before went to Chapps Pit Beef. Was hoping for a run to the Inner Harbor tonight but no dice. Hopefully Radcliffes tomorrow!

19. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    #44 88Testarossa, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Jay is wrong suggesting you choose between Hunt Valley v Annapolis Cars and Coffee. Here's the marked differences.

Hunt Valley (HV) is on Saturdays.

Annapolis is on Sundays.

HV starts earlier/ends earlier.

Annapolis is 9am-noon.

HV is in a shopping center parking lot.

Typically, after CnC, a group of about 15 exotics caravan for lunch. Last week they drove about 30 minutes on some fun back roads.

Annapolis is held in a bucolic and historic city. We park waterside, plenty of coffee and breakfast shops, you can go for a jog at the Naval Academy next door. Come for coffee. Stay for lunch and take in the sights.

So, you can do BOTH because they are on different days.

Annapolis is NOT your typical venue (there's a tall ship docked right next to us)

Tomorrow, Annapolis CnC has moved to Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis, for the SPCA Cars and Critters car show. There is also a run/walk for the animals on the park trail scheduled.

Checkout the Annapolis Cars and Coffee Facebook page and my YouTube channel (apassori) for CnC videos.

Welcome to the area 😎

I think you'll enjoy both Hunt Valley and Annapolis. But, Annapolis draws the tourists.

20. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    Hey, didn't mean to disrespect Annapolis C&C - I didn't know it was held on Sundays as I haven't been yet!

But to Heat Seeker - glad you're getting around and sampling what our city has to offer.

21. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Is there room for trailer parking close by? My wife loves Annapolis and this sounds like a really nice CnC.

22. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Thanks and due to the city's situation it's been a real challenge even to leave this building. The bosses have a real tight leash on us as far as where we can go and where the rental vehicles go. I'm really bummed that we missed the car show today, I was really hoping to make it out there and made it no secret even before we left that I intended to attend, but at the end of the day is only so much I can control.
    We have the Inner Harbor on our radar and plan on making stops up there through the upcoming weeks.
    Another facet is being on this trip essentially alone- even though with coworkers, my fiance is at home all alone. No doubt it's been tough on her & I try to understand the best I can and I hope she understands my situation, however I'm just a passenger on this ride. 1 week down 3 weeks to go, although I get to fly home next Friday night and get back in town here crazy early Monday morning to resume the next two weeks here.

still hoping ,even at an outside chance to meet some of you guys out here!

23. onocoffee

onocoffee Karting

Sep 29, 2006
    Hunt Valley, MD
    Full Name:
    Jay C
    Sorry to hear you're on lockdown. Presumably you're staying in a downtown hotel? Outside the city, you'd never know anything was going on. Hopefully the media will calm down and you'll get to see more of our area.

24. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

Yes, at the Naval Academy Stadium
    Take the free trolley, Uber or walk into town

25. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al

Slip out the back door and come to the SPCA cars and critters show today at Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis, 9-1pm. Ask for Al.