Trim/Upholstery Service in So.Cal.? | FerrariChat

Trim/Upholstery Service in So.Cal.?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TTR, Apr 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I know this is probably a long shot to ask here, but does anybody knows of and care to recommend a high quality trim/upholstery individual or shop in southern California (preferably in L.A./I.E./O.C. area) with vintage car experience.

I'm looking for an "old school artisans" with understanding and willingness to do the job "correctly", including ability to restore vintage car seats so that they "feel" period correct, not like a modern S.U.V. "Recaro" or who's work will still look and feel great let's say after several years and tens of thousands of miles of serious enjoyment.

Person(s) or shops catering mainly to exotic, more modern and/or latest trends in custom and hot rod fashions do not interest me.

And if recommending, please provide a detailed reasoning why, not just "go to Billy, he's the best !" or "Johnny at So-and-So's gets my vote".
    You may also provide your recommendation via PM if you prefer privacy.

Timo

2. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A search of "upholstery" in this forum will show loads of results. Best of luck.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks for your reply, but having been there, done that already I found very little substantive or usefull reasoning in most of the recommendations thru such forum search. And with all due respect to all, some one capable to replacing a dash padding, seats or soft top on a F-car or late model M-B doesn't impress nor interest me. Most of that type of work I could do (and have done) myself.

I'm looking for some one similar to a tailor or cobbler who could make a perfectly fitting 1930's dinner jacket or hand-made shoes from from scratch, not only authentic looking but also capable and willing to utilize period correct materials and techniques, including hand stitching if needed.
    Most trim shops I've seen in recent years, incl. some highly regarded, are not willing to do that, because they can make most customers happy with lot less effort and in the process still make themselves look like heroes.
    Or are not able to since they've never seen or attempted to study authenticity of a 50, 60+ year old upholstery construction.

Yes, I know I'm asking a lot, but no harm trying. Right ?

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    Bill's Hotrod shop on Lambert in Brea. Great work at great prices. did work on my Diablo. Matched the leather perfectly.

5. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Bobileff in San Diego is world renowned for restorations, but since that's your occupation as well you probably already knew that.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tony Garcia at Autobahn Interiors in San Diego is terrific for vintage Porsche, if that's what you're looking for.

Tony did my Speedster - concours car. Also had the original steel seat shells repaired/restored prior to padding and upholstery -- all flawless.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #7 Bullfighter, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    Try Prestige in Anaheim. I don't know about vintage but he was very meticulous and detailed in his work with the owner doing the work.

9. IsoBizzaGrifo

IsoBizzaGrifo Rookie

Sep 2, 2012
    Gabe"s in San Bernardino, California

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

You may have better luck on the east coast, may want to look that way for old world craftsmanship. I dealt with a few that are now retired or passed on.

I have not seen any here in the SoCal area in my short 20 years here

Good luck and please post back your findings I am very interested also.

:)

11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Autos International in OC or Prestige Upholstery in North Hollywood (huge on this board)

12. Century Transport

Oct 9, 2007
    Westhills,Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Fernando at Prestige amazing!!

818-753-9606

13. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had good success with Mike's Auto Tops & Upholstery, 25701 Taladro Cir # D
    Mission Viejo, CA. (949) 380-9859. They had a number if restorations going on, an Alfa, complete new interior on a TR, seems most of the dealers of high end cars sends him their work.

MB

14. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1

17. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Prestige does all the work for Ferrari of Beverly Hills.

18. Daytona

Daytona Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    The Valley
    Full Name:
    Mikee
    Richard Ward in Van Nuys. Just saw a Dino he is restoring and it looks unreal!!!
    Will PM you his number. He has worked on my 308 and my 550. Very happy with the work and especially the price!

19. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'm also a big fan of harrys Upholestry in west LA, does BH Ferrari as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    He currently has the interior from my car. I'm hoping for the best. He seems very good to work with so far.

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    An update, if any one cares ?
    So far I've been in (or attempted to) contact most of the recommended entities and with exception of maybe couple (still not sure about these either, one way or another), most did not qualify for my expectations, some not even by a long shot, but I appreciated the fairly enthusiastic initial replies.
    Names have been deliberately withheld to protect the "innocent".
    Search continues...

Timo

22. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    There's an old school guy in Reseda, been around forever. Have you talked to Jacks yet? Jacks Auto Interiors

23. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Thanks Timo

If you do find something please drop my a PM with the contact. Like I stated east coast may be the only option if you find a father son craftsman shop.

You may want to shoot Eric and email, I worked with him years back and lost his contact. He may be aware of someone that can help in his current circles.
    A Craftsman's Legacy TV Show

Tim :)