When is a VIN a car... | FerrariChat

When is a VIN a car...

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by 330 4HL, Nov 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I came across the following while trying to see the "Speedster" on bring-a-trailer.
    - some of the comments are hilarious!

I think brilliantly sums up much of what has gone on in the Ferrari market as well; very zen...

I have my grandfather’s axe.
    I’ve replaced the handle
    I’ve replaced the head
    I have my grandfather’s axe.

2. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    A.K.A as the ship of theseus...

Ship of Theseus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    a philosophical step too far for a Friday...

this begs the question; as most of my body (90%+) has "regenerated" itself over my life time, am I still me?

I'll have to check the chassis number but I'm not sure I can still bend over that far...

4. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Of the 29 SSK Mercedes built nearly 50 exist. Of those 50 most are built with some real parts.

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    all you need is that little piece with the VIN on it

6. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    This is exactly why it is utterly important to have provenience backed up by solid proof that is available for anyone to inspect.

The SSK owners are a funny bunch as some of them are really venomous towards cars owned by other individuals. On several occasions I've heard people claiming that the Bertil Lindblad SSK in Sweden would be a complete fake. For me if there is one genuine car, that must be the one. The complete racing record is very well known and Lindblad was always open about how he followed the trail and found this car dismantled into a scrap heap sitting there waiting to be picked up and melted. Thank heavens he was there in time and put it back together!

Best wishes, Kare

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It becomes really funny when 2 or more cars claim the same identity.

Best,

Jack.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    On the other hand numbers are just numbers. I am more concerned about fakes, where a serial number was applied to a car after copying it from the papers being used. Very few people care about this type of faking as they are so eager to have a serial number they can enter into their files. Any number that is, as for us number players it is always painful to admit that we don't really have a clue...

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur

Too right, and if you take re-stamped engines into account, and cars still getting N/A Platinum status, ego-trips and $$$.

Best,

Jack.

10. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Am I right to say the only marque it seems to be almost ok is with vintage Bentley's?

11. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1

The Vehicle Licensing system in the UK encourages the use of paper identities being used to register a car. The alternative is a "Q" plate and gaining "type approval" for the car.

As you say, the irony is that these magic numbers transform what is effectively a recreation into an accepted and original car.

12. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    #12 drew365, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017