Suspension lifter vs Handling | FerrariChat

Suspension lifter vs Handling

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFire, Apr 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Hello FerrariChat,

I hope you are all well. My name is Joseph, a new member.

I am currently in the market for a pre-owned 458 Spider. I found the perfect one but it has the suspension lifter. I say "but" because of tjhe added weight. I would prefer it without but at this point, I don't want to be too picky.

Two questions if I may:

1. For those of you who have the suspension lifter option, I'd like to know if it affects the handling of the car in any negative way?

2. Is the suspension lifter, overall, reliable?

Thanks a lot ahead of time for your feedback!

2. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Weight ???

You should be happy it's there ... you may once need it and then you will be VERY happy it's there.

4. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I use it every time in and out of my driveway, would scrap otherwise. Never failed me.

5. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Hi, there are several threads here (found with a search) about whether or not to get the front lifter. I put 9,300 miles on my 12 coupe without the lifter and never needed it. I did have skid plates in the front for the rare low clearance issue which was more than adequate.

6. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    + 1. Same here. Happy I have it. Have not noticed any handling issues.

7. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Will you track it? If you worry about the weight of the front lifter then I would worry about the cowl shake of the spider more. No way that you will feel the added weight on public roads. regardless its an awesome car and congrats.

8. Jay-K

Jay-K Karting

Feb 3, 2015
    did not own one,
    about handling I'm not sure it will help,

but for some non lifter might be a deal killer,
    but it comes back to where will you drive the car, because sometimes lifter is a life saver.

btw, are you looking cars in LA, maybe you are more experienced I might chime in and follow some advice.. dealership pre-owned are priced so high ..

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you do a search you will find a lot of information. I forget the exact amount of weight the lifter adds but I remember being surprised at how little weight it added. I was expecting more. In terms of affecting handling, I don't think you will notice it at all in a 458 Spider. If you are going for the ultimate handling then I'd suggest the Speciale and even then I think as a % of the car's weight it will be a very small number.

I have the lifter on my 2 year old Italia and it has so far worked flawlessly.

10. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    no problem with lifter here. plus if your lifter fails.....you now just have a car without a lifter.

11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    No problem with my lifter. I use it often. Just last Sunday, I scraped the front (fortunately, no damage) in a situation where I didn't think I needed to use the lifter.

12. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Hi guys and thanks a lot for your feedback.

I did run searches and found great info on the lift but nothing about how it may (or not) affect handling.

I conclude it doesn't affect the handling, doesn't add that much weight and is a good overall reliable option to have.

I will post photos when I finalize the purchase.

13. IanC

IanC Rookie

Sep 17, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I ordered the lifter with my 2011 but passed on it when I ordered my 2013. I did notice a significant difference in handling with the 2013 feeling far sharper than the 2011. There were probably other differences in the suspension between those two years but for me I'd pass on the lifter unless it's really necessary.

14. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    I drive my 458, just turned 24k miles, very glad I have the lifter, so many situations I really needed it.

I have driven 458's with and without the lifter on Laguna Seca, I couldn't tell the difference.

15. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My 458 does not have a lifter. Figured my 360 was ok with 4.5" clearance so the 458 should be fine with 6.5". I was right!

16. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    congrats on the car.

Lifter or not, depends (as others have said) on IF you need it. We had it on our 458 and first FF, never ever had to use it. F12, Speciale and incoming FF we did not. However, IF you need it and don't have it, life can suck.

The lift adds 20 kilos IIRC. However, it's a hydraulic system and the components are actually spread around the car. (that's also why it's almost impossible to retrofit it).

You won't notice the weight. You'll notice more when the fuel tank is full vs. empty than with/without the lift.

good luck

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Daily drive my spider. 1.5 years no need for lifter. Worry more about reversing and scraping your rear diffuser IMHO.

18. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    What I know, it's only 10 kg. and they sit low in the car. I doubt many can feel a difference.

To me, it's peace of mind. I needed it going on a ferry last year, and on occasion for parking in garages with steep ramps. I'd rather live with those few kg. and not worry, than live without and worry.

19. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i heard it is 22 pounds. i have never noticed a difference on my 2013 spider and used it numerous times no problems

if you are concerned about weight, drive with 1/4 tank fuel

20. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    My opinion and experience:
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I have a pretty steep driveway so I was a little concerned when I didn't get the lift on my 2013 Italia but I've had no issues. In fact, my Corvette air dam drags a little but nothing on the Ferrari.
    HOWEVER, I attended the Beverly Hills 60th anniversary event and pulling out of the hotel parking lot gave me nightmares.
    My recent Speciale order has the lift!