Serrare Forte? | FerrariChat

Serrare Forte?

Discussion in '308/328' started by tinterow, Apr 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    SERRARE FORTE... SVITARE LENTAMETE...IPRA...0.9

These are the words on my original radiator cap for my 1980 308 GTSi. So, what does it mean and why is a 16 lb. cap recommended when the car came with a 13?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Recommended by who? Shouldn't the Recommender be providing the the reasons/justification/engineering logic?

3. F430-Scuderia

F430-Scuderia Karting

Feb 22, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manny
    "Serrare forte" is the Italian for "Tighten (with force)"
    "Svitare lentamente" is the Italian for "Unscrew slowly"
    IPRA stands for I(ndustria) P(iemontese) R(adiatori) per A(utomobili)
    HTH
    Cheers
    anny

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I would have translated "serrare forte" by "tighten strongly", but I am nitpicking here, as I am inclined to...
    Rgds

5. F430-Scuderia

F430-Scuderia Karting

Feb 22, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manny
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....I live in Italy and I think that my Italian is worlds better than my English,which unfortunately is getting rustier with every passing year!
    That said "Serrare forte" in fact means "Tighten strongly"...."tighten with force" or even "Please see to that that you'll exert enough torque in order to make sure that the cap is tightened properly"!
    I think that all our friend needs to know is that "serrare" means "tighten" and "svitare" is the Italian for "unscrew" while "svitare lentamente" roughly translated into English means "Try to avoid ending up like an Irish Stew"!
    Best
    Manny

6. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Ok...thanks for the translation...now...what about 13 vs 16 lb. Pressure?

7. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Steve, on the Dr. Tommy radiator thread they all mention 16lbs.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Just one précision: are we talking about the radiator cap, or about the expansion tank cap?

Rgds

9. dpospres

dpospres Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2005
    Expansion tank cap.....there is no radiator cap

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Thanks dpospres...duhhhh...expansion/radiator cap! My bad! :( NOT!

11. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Manny, Il Tuo Inglese e' meglio che Italiano mio!

12. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A previous owner of my 328 had problems with coolant escaping from the overflow tube on the coolant reservoir , which Ferrari of Denver eventually solved by using a BMW radiator/expansion tank cap. The time frame for this was about 1996. The only numerical information on the cap is a "140". Might this be kilopascals, which converts to about 20 PSI?

The owner didn't know why the BMW cap solved the problem, but perhaps it's simply that it was able to maintain a higher pressure. This would be consistent with using a 16-lb cap vs 13-lb cap.

13. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
  14. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #14 tinterow, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    I have been all over the radiator cap thread...wait...there is no radiator cap...that thread is fraudulent...there is only an expansion tank...but wait...that's incorrect also...my tank doesn't expand...the coolant expands...ok...just kidding to show how stupid it is to try and differentiate what kind of cap it is :)

Now back to the point...no where in that thread does anyone say "why" they use a 16lb. :(

P.S. The cap we are referring to should be called the thing that looks like a common radiator cap but isn't because it sits atop the expansion tank that doesn't expand thingy :)

15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Ok...we finally got to it. As I mentioned, there seemed to be no concern of putting a stonger cap on in the other thread. In reality it will put unnecessary stress on all components of your cooling system...case closed...give me a 13 pounder :)

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ah; I'm sorry I didn't understood more quickly That it was the 0,9 vs 1,1 debate. My metric brain switches easily for weights or lengths or speeds, but for pressures it Is more difficult.
    You have the answer already: some people choose to put 1,1 caps, some others prefer to stay with the OEM recommandation of 0,9.
    Sorry for not having connected immediately, I've got fooled by 16 vs 13; must work on the équivalence with metrics again
    Rgds

17. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Thanks Nero!

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I would recomend to stay with the standard 0.9 bar expansion tank cap. Replace the cap at least each ten years.

ciao

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ferrari has been telling us since the early 90's to use the 1.1 cap when they started to be used in production. They have proven to be a real benefit to the QVs with the marginal cooling system and it also reduces the chance of cavitation which can do a great deal of damage.

20. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Brian...cavitation...nice use of vocabulary! Leave it to us Texans. Thanks for the tip. :)