Are 6MT drivers really that insecure? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Are 6MT drivers really that insecure?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Skidkid, Apr 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some of us have been doing heel and toe for 50 years or more. And add double clutching to that.

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Lol you made a good point lol I still think the Scud is the best thing ever lol

4. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    A few thoughts ...

1) Enzo wanted to win races. He would have opted for anything that made the car faster, so F1 and/or DCT would have trumped the stick shift had the technology been available to the Comendatore during his time at the helm.

2) F1 (and DCT as well) is faster than a stick shift. On a track or race car a sequential box wins out, they are sublime, I've competed with many variants and driven many types of cars on the racing circuit there is no doubt which I'd rather be in when the green flag drops.

3) stick shift is about feeling, personal enjoyment of driving, the actual motion of selecting the gears, matching the revs, sound of the lever clicking and clanking thru the gates. It's not a speed thing it's a feeling thing, enjoying the pleasure of working the transmission and clutch and feeling that connection with the car.

4) the scud is an amazing car. There are other cars that are wonderful too but the scud does double duty as a nice track car and a good street companion.

As for me I was on the quest for a used 458 or scud, but ended up getting a unicorn of an F430 w Stickshift, carbon brakes, and carbon factory racing seats all in one car. The feeling of driving that car sealed the deal for me and I made my choice. To me there is something special in the way the car enhances my driving experience and ultimately that won out in a feeling over the numbers alone.

5. F430-Scuderia

F430-Scuderia Karting

Feb 22, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manny
    +1!

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Funny, It isn't the F1 guys saying that the F1 is faster. It is of the 3 pedal guys. What are we to make of that?

Just because we have an F1 and enjoy it doesn't mean we can't/don't drive 3 pedals. Both my wife and I drive 3 pedals. I get what they bring to the party. I even commuted in a 3 pedal M-Roadster for MANY years.

This thread was more fun than I ever imagined. Ar4me, I finished my 2 minutes in the corner. Can I come out now?

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #57 INTMD8, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since we know 1 and 2 is absolute truth may as well move on to 3.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our definition of scantily clad is different.

Where I'm from that is every day apparel for women.

Sometimes even men.

Now that we have that out of our system is it time for a timing belt thread or a Californias are girls cars thread?

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    LOL :) On a serious note, I enjoy both 3-pedal and F1 - each have their merits, no right or wrong, but I can see it getting tiresome if the same opinions get repeated over, and over, and over... as if that will eventually make them facts...

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No it's the same I just like that photo. Not so much every day apparel around here. Sounds like I need to visit Austin :)

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are you kidding? The first thing 2 pedal owners say is "it's faster and therefore better" namely because that's the only benefit there is.

Dave

12. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    To be fair...........I know some 3 pedal owners who SHOULD be driving autos.

I'm also very familiar with double declutching. I can also drive without using the clutch pedal at all. I drove a cement mixer in my youth with twin 5X4 sticks (think triple clutching!) Not quite 50 years ago, but painfully close.

Dave

13. LV360

LV360 Karting

May 1, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    As long as we're going there, in my opinion the 360 looks better than the 430. Thoughts? lol

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Actually I was referring to California, hence the comment about men.

15. supratime

supratime Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2006
    lmao you guys in this thread. Just own both...they are just different flavors of awesome! :) why should we need to choose??! kinda like the "brand loyal" debate. Own what u like jeeezzz.. It's like only being able to like one flavor of ice cream, blonde or brunette?? Come on

16. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Just stare at my avatar and weep.... :D

17. mashoutposse

mashoutposse Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2005
    If one has driven a manual long enough, it might as well be an automatic. Shifting gears becomes subconscious after a meaningful amount of experience.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You may be on to something but those meaningful shifts still come up, that catch you in a pleasant way, often! Probably the way a well timed squeeze of the paddle feels at just that right crescendo of events.

19. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Funny thread.

I replaced my center caps the other day. They look great.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Graham- Hopefully you lined them all up identically with the wheel bolts.

21. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    ummmmm, was I supposed to?

Or is this a wind up.....April fools joke?

I wouldn't be surprised if they're supposed to go in certain way.

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Not just faster. Violent also when you want it which is really fun and engrossing. Plus from an engineering standpoint and the relation to f1, absolutely fascinating technology. To some anyway.

I never wanted a semi-automatic ; ) before...then I drove the scud. The boner went away....eventually.

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yah some are super meticulous and align then all w the same reference on the wheel; like the valve stem. I never noticed and still don't honestly.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is a funny thread. Who is to say whats best except that having the choice is best. I don't see one owner as more insecure or the other. I guess some of us just lament the loss of the choice.

25. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    My dd doesn't even have a transmission!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk