Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Alonso to miss Australian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Mar 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Either FA does not trust the car, like the Mayor said, or they think the car is so uncompetitive that it isn't worth risking a second concussion because they won't end in the points anyway.

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    me thinks it was either a seizure or electrical shock...these are the only two RATIONAL explanations

3. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Problem is, the answer may not be RATIONAL.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The latest update from Alonso's doctors:

"We can now report that the concussion suffered by Mr Alonso was not caused by his McLaren F1 car making contact with a wall during a testing accident in Barcelona, but was in fact caused by Mr Alonso constantly banging his head against a brick wall whilst muttering: 'Why did I leave Ferrari?......why did I leave Ferrari?........Why?.......Why?' "

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hope it was not a seizure, just attended a wake for a friend who's brain cancer first manifested in this manner. Of course many things can cause seizures.

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I read reports that doctors initally requested Mclaren to send videos and footage of the crash, to assist in understanding Fred's condition. Ron said no and sent them pictures instead.

I still think something fishy happened. Mclaren seemed...so secretive about the crash. from pictures, and what Vettel says, it was a slow crash. What i don't get was how did he get knocked out at a slow crash. However, did he get knocked out before the crash? And then mclaren blamed the wind instead..

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ron's theme song.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmaK6rBOayk[/ame]

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    +1....agree completely.

9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
  11. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    This report seems outdated before it was typed. The AMuS report stated that the 215 km/h was an erroneous figure brought up by the BBC but accepted as wrong information.

They further keep citing McLaren as source of information. This renders the article rather shallow as the quality and content of their information remains heavily disputed.

There is all sorts of rumors with McLaren withholding information from treating doctors etc... Citing them in such a scenario as source of information is dangerous and certainly doesn't show journalistic merit.

12. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well based, on his behavior sometimes he's pretty spot on

13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is no way they could know that without someone revealing confidential medical information. That's unfortunate. People are usually confused and agitated when they wake up from being KOed in my personal experience. The classic line for boxing is, "I'm fine, but how did all these people get in my living room? (in reference to the crowd)" Now if it took him weeks to recover other memories, that is even more scary. Maybe a doctor could comment on that.

The best point they make is - if McLaren says there was no injury and concussion, then there would be no risk in Australia since there would be no chance of a second concussion.

Just so poorly handled. McLaren has really fueled the speculation through their poor handling of the incident.

14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They had FA in the hospital and didnt withold the patient. They quote Dr Hartstein. This article seems the most sensible one yet. It lacks the hype found in so much surrounding this incident. Call Benson and rewrite the article dated today for him. No one here has anymore proof --frankly a ton less. Post yours if its so accurate. I dont think the BBC is equivalent to the Sun or Bild frankly.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    And now there's this...

Aussie GP boss rejects boycott talk

Australian Grand Prix organisers have dismissed reports that a boycott threat is looming over the race following Fernando Alonso's accident.

Double World Champion Alonso has been advised to skip the season-opening grand prix at Albert Park after he suffered a concussion during a shunt at the Circuit de Catalunya on 22 February.

Although McLaren insist the 33-year-old is fine, confusion surrounds the events before and after the crash in Barcelona and Germany's Sport Bild reported that "several teams are thinking about not letting their drivers start the season opener for safety reasons" as "it has still not been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the Spanish double World Champion did not receive a shock".

An unnamed team boss is quoted as saying: "Honda must provide answers with the FIA".

However, Australian GP Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott has dismissed suggestions that teams could boycott the race.

"We're talking to the teams, Formula One and the FIA multiple times every day and a boycott certainly hasn't been raised or discussed," he told the Australian Associated Press.

"All the teams are coming to Melbourne; they're excited about the start of the new season, the freight is on its way, Formula One personnel are on site at Albert Park setting up the broadcast and from our perspective it's 100 per cent all systems go.

"We hold no fears about anything apart from containing the enthusiasm of the Australian public across the four days."

16. Abbey

Abbey Karting

Dec 1, 2014
    This was a very strange incident. What we heard from the formula was not what was not matching up with what was going on. He's all clear and fine, but unconscious and in the hospital for 3 days. Our Mr. Vettel says the accident was strange and Fernando turned right and into the wall. But later he changed the story saying he did not see the beginning of it. I think what he said at first was the truth. I also think that Alonso might have been unconscious before he hit that wall. The doctors uncertainty with what happened to him would be a reason to keep him in the hospital for observation and to run a lot of tests.

Then I heard that Alonso and his people were asking to see McLaren data himself, thinking the car might have had an issue. If that is true, it could be McLaren covering things up, although Alonso's folk were happy with what they received - or so they said.

Very strange the whole thing. Let's just hope everything is alright and nothing like that happens again.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Imo all this attention for Alonso is because there isn't much else to talk about. Sad. When was the last time we already knew from the previous season who 1st and second in the wdc and 1st in the wcc would have been? That defies what sport is meant to be and some at the top should pay for not having foreseen this would have happened i think.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As far as I know he had to be conscious before he hit the wall. He was on the brakes completely, requiring 75KG of force. Impossible if you're unconscious.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    From an arm chair perscpective you have a point, yes. Us idiots on the internet poking at things until F1 begins.

But the fact is, the FIA, Bernie, teams and even the GPDA are asking questions now, and especially latter isn't going to start asking questions simply because they're bored.

20. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  21. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
  22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The latest update from Fernando Alonso's doctors: The prognosis is not good!

"As Mr Alonso's doctors, we have a duty of care for his welfare and so we have been studying his case very carefully, from every angle possible.

Base on the findings of these studies, it is with great regret that we have to announce that, in our opinion, the situation is not good as it appears that Mr Alonso has a contract with McLaren that is air-tight.

All we can do for Mr Alonso now is to wait and let nature take its course, in the hope that either a way can be found to release Mr Alonso from this contract or the contract will run it's course and Mr Alonso will eventually be able to lead a normal, happy life with another team.

It is a very regrettable situation and our thoughts and best wishes are with his friends and family at this time."

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Fred's Twitter from just now:

@alo_oficial: Keep working good ..... 30 min bike, 30 swim, 30 gym. Malaysia is one of the most demanding races, and we will be at 100%!

24. gmbjr

gmbjr Karting

Dec 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Ron's car tried to kill Fred. This has to be the way Fred sees it.

This should be very entertaining to watch as it plays out over the course of the season. Physically, Fred might be 100% but, mentally Fred is already done for the year. I just wonder how many races into the season before they're at each others throats and Fred walks off the job.

What's the over/under? I'm guessing by the 4th race that Fred actually participates in.