Dutton Phaeton | FerrariChat

Dutton Phaeton

Discussion in 'British' started by MITYRARE, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 MITYRARE, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picked up this sad bird today. Needs some love and paint and a few bits. This is one of the factory built cars according to the Dutton Club. (I should have known there was a Dutton club!)

Notes form the previous owner;
    Dutton

The car is a real handful to drive with lots of power and not much weight. The engine is a Ford two Liter overhead cam engine that has a header, a weber DGV carb, Offenhauser manifold, and a performance camshaft. The chassis is a tube frame with a Spitfire/GT6 based front suspension, and a Cortina live axle with coilover shock/spring units and a four link suspension. The master cylinder is a ford Cortina, as is the rear axle and brakes, and the front rotors and calipers are Triumph GT6. Needs paint.
    The seats and carpet are new. This is a very unique car that is lots of fun to drive for the experienced driver.

Does anyone here have experience with these... or build one up from a kit? apparently they produced some 9,000 plus cars (mostly kits).

beev
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Looks really fun.

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    You have my blessing in this noble endeavour. Do keep us posted.

4. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just received word from Britain that my new car is not a Phaeton as advertised but rather a much rarer early 1976 Dutton Malaga B Plus with a factory installed "race spec" 2.0 litre Pinto engine. Only 4 cars were speced with the uprated engine apparently and some of the Dutton owners club are extremely interested in my find..

beev

5. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #5 MITYRARE, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    I had one of these growing up in the UK with a lotus twin cam engine. Lots of fun but make sure you secure the hood section. Mine flew off and nearly took our heads off. I think they had made some extra brackets to secure the front of the hood at some stage.