Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Mondial Rear Windows stuck in Down

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Oct 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ssunkel

ssunkel Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    Key West, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Sunkel
    I've had the same experience and found the same problem. Can you tell me where you found the replacement bearing? Thanks.

Steve

2. ssunkel

ssunkel Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    Key West, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Sunkel
    By the way, mine is stamped "SKF Germany" on both sides. Thanks.

3. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    Add me to the list... cabrio t 3.4 with windows stuck in the raised position... bad news.. can't lower the rag top, good news, from what i read.. easier to remove with windows in the up position..

BTW: the Lancia's of thei era used the same style mechanism and all report the failure of the curved "WORM" ( what soup call the "rails" ) the (somewhat) flexible worm drive..seemed like a good idea at the time to fit many models and window sized but add years of dirt and hardened grease to the worm and they don't move..

any updates on the volvo retro fit...

4. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Well... It's not that bad, I have taken rear window out, while it is up position.
    Trick is to pop out that nylon roler or drill out rivet holding it.
    After that; you tilt mechanism and window lift open inside sill to get them out.

5. TampaTMM

TampaTMM Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Terrance Maloney
    On Saturday my passenger rear window started being stubborn. The lock switch is not activated as I am able to make the drivers side work. However, when I press the up/down action on the passenger side button I hear a faint bump/thud noise. Is this the same as experienced by others before deciding to tear apart the system? Could this be another issue?

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    If you have a "T" try changing or cleaning the switch contacts first.
    I can't speak for the 3.2, QV or 8 but my rear windows were very slow due to dirty switch contacts.

DavidJ

7. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Also, make sure your alternator is putting out the proper voltage as they are also sensitive to low voltage.
    Cheers,
    Greg

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #158 MvT, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just came across this.. to have some part numbers. I guess the Lancia Y10 and Fiat Uno never crossed the Atlantic. (Brazil maybe) So you would need to order overseas.

Car Model ➝ Part #
    Lancia Y10 (1988-1992) ➝ 7735704 or 7636248
    Fiat Uno MK1 146A/E (1983-2000) ➝ 7539068
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #159 soucorp, Mar 1, 2015
    I bought a pair of Fiat Uno used window motors from Italy and tested it on the Mondial rear loop mechanism, problem is the loop itself. The Unos had problems pushing the rod thru the figure 8 just like the original. Maybe its a ground thing, but I still have not gotten them to work so I can place my rear window back in. Maybe this summer, but its been 3 years and every year I say the same thing, its more trouble than its worth.

10. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    #160 ddenboer, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Any updates from anyone else who have this working? My mechanic has had my car for 6 weeks trying everything and still no car in this awesome summer we are having.

Edit:

I found a pair of Volvo S40 front window regulators on eBay for $103 with free US shipping.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Power-Window-Regulators-w-Motors-Left-Right-Pair-Set-for-00-04-S40-V40/370885433611?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35389%26meid%3Df678b3624de847c2a587f28b4defb401%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D311596812123

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Are your windows down? if so this is a winter Project

If your windows are up Its still a winter Project!

no sarcasm just drive it for now and worry about windows later

that said what exactly is your issue?

12. Roc

Roc Karting

Nov 19, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Rocco LaBriola
    Hi David! The Volvo parts are exactly what I purchased a year or so ago. I sold the car before I had a chance to install them but feel quite certain, from the information in this thread, that it will work. Good luck!

13. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer

My rear passenger window is stuck up, so I can't get the top down. I bought myself a new (to me) 1994 Alfa Spider to tide myself over until I get my Mondial back.

The Volvo parts will be here next week and I will give them to the mechanic right away.

Thanks!

14. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    I'm starting this project tomorrow as both left and right rear windows are stuck down. Paperwork from the past owner shows they tested the switches which worked and noted it's the motors. Unable to find new one's it was left that way when I got the car.

I got the top and frame removed (replacing it) and through endless hours online searching i do have NEW sealed left and right motor windows for replacement. I'll be removing the old ones, cleaning and testing before opening the sealed Ferrari packing of the replacements. Hope to get both out and maybe replaced by the end of the day, wish me luck. I'll take pics and show updates.

15. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    @TGIF, where did you get the motors and how much were they if you don't mind my asking?

16. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully

I found them on eBay back in Sept from Tampa Bay Ferrari. They were asking $1500 each but i got both for $1250 shipped. While waiting for them to accept my offer on eBay as on the phone with Ferrparts and happened to ask giving the part number and they had one in stock (left i think) and bought that one for $975.

Yes, i'm probably the one only that has 3 new sealed Ferrari Mondial window motors. I figured I'll the extra for trade or resell value down the road. First want to get Mondial windows working.

17. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Having a snag to get the window out before pulling the motor. Doesn't seem you can pull both without breaking the window. Mine are stuck in the down position which isn't giving any leverage to break loose. I bolted the motor assembly back in, wd40'd the bottom of the window area but still no luck getting to move.

Any insights? Can i access it better if taking off the real wheel and inner tub?

18. ddenboer

ddenboer Karting

Sep 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    David denBoer
    @TGIF yes taking the rear wheel and tub out greatly improve access.

19. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks, I'll do that this weekend. Was hoping didn't need to but it is what it is.

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #170 soucorp, Jan 21, 2017
    Hello, you might want to test the motors first installed on the loop with glass and then plugging them into the existing wires to use the buttons to test. When I tried that with just the motors, it worked like a charm until it had the full load of pushing the rod thru the figure 8 loop da loop, it just stopped moving from all of that grime and old harden grease.

One of my rear window assembly is still out of the car, just have not had time nor care to put it back in. At some point, I will but most of the time, I drive it only in good weather and top down. Btw, the rear well does not help get to it, the motors are totally located in the side panels and they don't have any opens except from above.

Best,
    Mike

21. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks Mike. My goal is to get the glass out (should have better access from wheel and tub out) and then pull the old assembly out. I'll test it, clean it and test again to ensure they don't work.

Prep the new one (right side) testing it without glass, with glass and then run wires to the switch before install. Always want to make sure everything works before final install.

With the rain this weekend i'll get another start at it. Not seeing any other way to get the glass off as "wiggling it out, carefully" mentioned on page 1 isn't working. Can't unbolt it since its stuck down. Ill post some progress and pics.

22. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #172 soucorp, Jan 21, 2017
    My glass was stuck in the down position as well. Its been awhile but from my recollection, you have to unbolt the 2 screws that holds the side assembly, slowly push the assembly unit up to the top opening and there should be enough room for you to disconnect the glass from the white plastic holder. From there you can take out the glass first, then the assembly with motor as both will not fit thru the top opening. Be patient, you'll figure it out.

Best,
    Mike

23. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    #173 TGIF, Jan 21, 2017
    Yes, thanks. I that all printed out which helped an got it out. Glass first and then the motor. Tested the leads with a volt meter and switch worked. Tested it with an new motor/assembly and that works.

Now it's time to place it all back together. Quick question, Motor in firs and then attach the window (since the motor will be at the top) or can I attach it and then install it as one with the glass up?

Thanks in advance. Here's some pics from today.

24. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #174 soucorp, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    That is awesome you were able to get them out! putting in the new units will be the reverse and harder to do. If you can find a way to install it with the glass on without too much tension from squeezing it in at the opening from top that will be great. May have to find thinnest point of glass/motor by lowering the glass on the rail. If not, motor assembly in first, work glass in after and align and bolt on. You've gone farther in this process than I have! You are very lucky to have found new rear motor assemblies, extremely rare and expensive parts!

good luck, you are almost there!
    Mike.

25. TGIF

TGIF Karting

Mar 7, 2016
    Milpitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Paully
    Thanks, I planning to try and fit the motor in today assembly in today and see if i can get the glass on. With match VIN on the glass i'm going to be super careful and don't want to break. I do have an extra set of flag windows (both those vin match together along with door glass) as backups but hoping to keep those in the collection and not have to use.

Before I bought the car i knew the window motor were shot (service record called it out) and started daily hunts for motors assemblies. Hopefully able to sell the spare passenger one to cover the costs of the other 2 in coming years but first get these two up and running.
    Thanks again.