612, time to buy? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

612, time to buy?

Discussion in '612/599' started by BAEM, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    How many miles? 140k for a 2010 too sounds great

2. ntmatter

ntmatter Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm still waiting and watching - the early cars are only 10 years old and I agree that, having seen what happened to the kinda-in-the-same-class 456 that they're approaching the bottom of the curve, but that it could well be a pretty long bottom before prices go up. The great opportunity here is that the savvy buyer will still be able to find a well kept and well maintained low-owner example that hasn't gone through the churn of inexperienced owners and deferred maintenance. Those cars will be the rare examples and will appreciate first (not yet, but first) - less documented cars will sit in a trading range for some time yet.

3. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    I just trade mine. It was a really nice car almost new. Only 15k miles well mantained.
    I offered it to one member here in 70k and he think it to long.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/479050-ferrari-612-wheels.html#post143757965

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In the $70k's, wow. What an amazing value, or would have been.

5. AndrewJM

AndrewJM Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2012
    Norfolk, VA
    I'd advise anyone thinking about getting a 612 to get one sooner rather than later, not necessarily because of increasing values (that may be years off), but because there will likely be a shortage of nice examples when the demand increases. As others have mentioned, deferred maintenance becomes common as these cars become older and trade hands more often.

6. berger27

berger27 Karting

Apr 5, 2007
  7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    11,000 miles, two owner, well maintained, all keys,books,tools

Needs a belt service soon, so add 5k to the price, still a pretty good deal, now if I can figure out this ridiculous Bose stereo/nav system

8. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Around 65k :-(

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah that's what I was offered. I did better though on consignment.

10. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    This pic put a smile on my face, lucky guy!

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You got a great deal- how about some pics - by the way i got the belt service at F of Fort Lauderdale for $3,000 +-
    PM me if you need help the the Bose - I love it - great sound - never even turned on the radio in my Scud

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    #37 Dave.0, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a crappy garage pick of the car, as well as an interior complete with a mugshot of me. TDF blue over beige. I was a little unsure of the colored seat inserts and the piping until a saw a car without them. There is acres of dead cow in there, so without the contrast of the inserts and piping it looks a little washed out. I love the roof - I would consider that a must have from now on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd advise the time to buy is when you have a burning desire to own and drive one. Life is too short to look at everything from an investors eye IMHO.

14. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    1+

15. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Prices still dropping here in Dubai, not that it's necessarily an indicator for the US market.

Here is an ad I just saw for a 2007, asking price US$ 58,500:

Dubizzle Dubai | Scaglietti: ferrari

16. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    Just unloaded my 2006. High 80s for it. Excellent condition 8 out of 10, super low miles.

But the exotic market is real weird right now, values for non-vintage exotics plummeting since early winter last year

It will probably plateau by late spring or summer.

I absolutely loved my 612...just had too many cars and not enough space.

For anyone looking to buy, the 612 is a 'true' Ferrari, don't let the 4 seats fool you. I've driven an OTO. Great car, but not worth the $25k-$30k premium over an 2006 or 2007.

17. godf@ther

godf@ther Rookie

Feb 23, 2015

this car which u post about it in very bad condition and the price is so much for is, i saw it live i can tell even 40k is to much for it.

18. boss33

boss33 Rookie

Mar 30, 2015
    What Godfather says is true. Despicable version of a beautiful car. Previous owner Kuwaiti and was very poorly maintained. No service history at all. Missed services. Car practically falling apart.

All the above verified with Ferrari dealer who ran the VIN number and practically came up blank. According to them buyer will have to drop at least USD $40k in servicing fees (including tire and brake change). A/c not working (USD $15k to rectify) and in Dubai, that presents a slightly large problem.

Saw a red/ tan & black today. 2004 model with 19.8k km on the clock. Mechanically cannot fault it. But needs a timing belt, major service and tires. Austrian owner (works with someone important here) and has multitude of cars. This one, whilst not perfect seems a viable alternative.

19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I think 612's would be depreciating faster if the FF wasn't so ugly. Just saw a 2012 FF listed for under $200K with an original MSRP of nearly $400K. Down circa 50% in three years is ridiculously precipitous depreciation. I've had Ferrari guys tell me they can't move FF's to save their lives, but that desirable 612's are not hard to sell at all.

I don't think the FF pit of despair will overtake the 612 because it's such a beautiful car, but you never know. If the FF refresh/replacement is drop dead gorgeous, everything could change in a heartbeat. Desirable 456M's are under $70K, with run-of-the-mill cars under $60K, and high miles/weird colors under or around $50K. Those were over $230K new, and that was in Y2K dollars. So, if the FF replacement is beautiful, all of the early 612's could be under $90K in very short order. The OTO's will always be more desirable, and the Sesantas will always be rare and super cool.

I may skip the 612 and go from my 456M directly to an FF, because as fugly as they are, they are awesome cars, and are quickly becoming the best bang-for-the-buck Ferraris on the used market.

Then again, I'm kinda hoping the new FF is killer looking, because I'd like a 2005 612 in red with shields and a tan Daytona interior.

Cheers,

George

20. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think we've actually hit equilibrium on FF for the time being. Prices haven't dropped much if at all on 2012's in over a year. There aren't any at auction, and there are several 612's on Manheim. I wouldn't venture a guess whether 612 prices are helping buoy FF prices or vice versa. Frankly I think they're two different markets. One thing that seems fairly telling is all last generation F1's, F430's, 599's, 612's, are all doing pretty well in terms of bottom.

21. flumpy

flumpy Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    If you can, get a manual 612, epic car to drive, and an appreciating asset.

22. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    If the FF had a stick, I'd maybe be able to forgive the fugly.

No wait, I'm lying.

23. Melanzane

Melanzane Karting

Sep 12, 2012
    Florida
    The FF may be fugly, but when you are on the inside pushing hard in the twisties, it is a gem.

24. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    And when you are inside, you can't see it's butt !

25. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Yeah- Can you imagine a bunch of geniuses are Ferrari sitting around a board room table saying- 'OH YEAH- Look at that new FF!! FANTASTIQUE-- We're going to make SOOO much money selling this car- It's Gorgeous!!!'_

EHHHH!!!(Game Show wrong answer buzzer!!!

Seriously- What were they thinking?