Excellent Major Service by T&R Automotive | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Excellent Major Service by T&R Automotive

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by 4RE886, Mar 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    I'm pleased to join the many others here who have had the good fortune to find Tony!

I took possession of my first Ferrari, a 2004 360 Spider, this summer. It had been serviced by other mechanics here in the Bay Area. The experiences were OK, but I was hoping to find someone I felt a better connection with and also closer to my home here in San Francisco. ... I found Tony through the many earlier posts here and it turns out Tony's shop is literally minutes away.

A few weeks ago, I decided to take my Spider over to introduce both it and me to Tony and meet this person who so many admire. When we opened the engine cover Tony said he noticed an electrical smell and then we went on to talk about the car and Ferrari's. Then, while we were standing there a large plume of spoke billowed out of the engine bay! What luck I was there! Turns out the solenoid had literally melted, the starter motor and battery fried, and the cooling system had not been bled properly in it's last service. ... A few days and many emails later (that is another great thing about Tony, he keeps in touch with you) he had found a way to rebuild the starter and solenoid, bleed the cooling system, replace the battery and, while he was at it, work his way down a list of small jobs I had asked him about.

Having owned many cars of different makes and models over the past 40+ years, I've met and worked with quite a few mechanics. Tony ranks at the very top of my list! His passion for Ferrari's is obvious. But what is special is the care he takes with his work and the way he communicates (even to Ferrari novices like me).

Thanks Tony for all you've done and will do!

2. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    If you want to learn more about Tony and the fantastic work he does at T&R, have a look the following Cafe Spa YouTube clip: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO_EQLaqDUA]Episode 17: Ferrari 360 X 430 - YouTube[/ame]

3. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the video. If you haven't stopped by T&R Automotive, you don't know what you're missing. Always look forward to visiting Tony and Ed.

4. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    Love the video. Tony has a great way of describing the cars and the differences. Though as a 360 Spider 6 speed owner, I know it really comes down to what appeals to your 'Ferrari instincts'.

5. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Another great service by T&R Automotive! I just picked up the car this morning. Thank you Tony and team for your consistent professionalism and excellent service.

I will be bringing in the daily driver next week for service.

Happy Holidays everyone!

6. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Had a brief opportunity to visit Tony and Ed again at T&R Automotive today. It's always a pleasure to observe and discuss the maintenance being performed at his shop. I've said it before and will say it again, you folks in NORCAL/SFO have a real treasure. Do yourself a favor and take your F car (or any one for the matter) to Tony when it needs it.

I wish I had someone like Tony near me, although his sage advice and guidance concerning my Ferrari certainly is appreciated despite the 2000+ miles between us.

Mark

7. Fernankr

Fernankr Rookie

Nov 24, 2012
    San Mateo Peninsula
    Full Name:
    K R Fernandez
    I would like to add my comments about Tony and his team at T&R Automotive Center as well.

My 79 308 GTS needed a belt service and a general look over. After reading all the positive comments and recommendations about Tony and his quality servicing I decided to place the 308 under his professional care.

Everything that's been positively written is absolutely true! He did the complete belt service, tightened up the shifting, and engineered some bolt repairs that required some creative thinking to solve. And he solved them!

He provided guidance regarding future service plans, didn't say that they needed to be done immediately and explained why. He takes the time to talk with you, he seeks to understand his customer's needs, and works with you to provide an enjoyable owner experience.

The T&R Team are professionals in the true sense of the word.

It was an absolute pleasure doing business with them!

KR Fernandez

8. Tifoso Ferrari

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Just had the heat exchanger replaced on my 360 (preventative measure) + 4 new tires + rim touch-up. Super pleased ... as always. GREAT job, Tony!

9. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Once again great service with Tony A. at T and R. I brought my 1997 F355B in for yearly service and many cosmetic interior and exterior changes, that Tony promptly finished in just a few days! Basically, bringing my slightly modified looking car back to almost factory stock look. In addition, I previously had my airbag light turned on after I had my seats redone by another shop a few months ago, and Tony had no issue resetting it. The shop that initially set off the airbag light, actually recommended bringing my car to T and R, for this. I also had Tony paint my White Speedline challenge wheels stock silver at my request. He will update you with pictures through text and email and promptly gets back to you when you have any questions. Once again, Tony as a penchant for doing a lot of "extra work" that he feels are necessary, that the customer doesn't necessarily ask to be done. It's a lot of the little things that he does, the details where Tony A. thrives at. He will touch up some blemishes, add a few missing screws, repaint my worn Venturi under trays and wheelwells. For many of these extra jobs, Tony will often not charge you for these things. Tony will take it upon himself to finish the job correctly like a true craftsman with pride for his work. He treats your Ferrari like he would his own. He will give you your Ferrari back in pristine condition, as he performs a comprehensive interior, engine bay and exterior detail!

Once again, thank you for your A+ work Tony!

10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I paid Tony a visit in the Scuderia recently and the car was back to me just in time for our wonderful Bardessono FOG drive this past weekend!

I guess the 5 year old gearbox seal was starting to show its age and a very small, slow leak had begun collecting on my rear carbon diffuser for the last couple of weeks. Tony ordered up a new seal, cleaned out the diffuser and that was all she wrote.

or so I thought...

That pesky evap leak made a 3rd appearance and Tony was able to track down the source again. This time instead of plugging it we decided to change the darn thing so it will never ever haunt me again. They say 3rd time's the charm so I have my fingers crossed.

I also had noticed a rattle from inside my driver's side door. It happened to be a loose window regulator bolt that needed tightening. Tony generously squared that away too, and at no charge...who does that?!

T&R has continued to help keep my baby red running silky smooth and tip top shape, can't complain!

11. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Brought the scudie in for a GruppeM carbon airbox w heatshield install.

Check it out!
    http://origincache-prn.fbcdn.net/10299653_1400103046940036_1948510891_n.jpg

I'm dead serious about keeping things cool back there and protecting my carbon ;) thanks to tony my engine bay now looks even more amazing and because the intake boxes are so aggressive, it looks like I have twin superchargers!

Tony also replaced my horn for me which went kaput even though I've probably only ever used it once in my 3 years of ownership! You fellas should check your horns!

Thanks again Tony for continuing to keep my car in tip top shape.

12. Vraiment

Vraiment F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Vraiment
  13. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    This addition looks amazing on you Scud. Very aggressive addition.

14. ASFJr

ASFJr Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2004
    SF, CA & NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Alfonso Faustino
    I had a strange rattling noise emanating from the engine bay; I had to get down to Los Angeles; so, I dropped by T&R without an appointment. TAFORZA immediately put my car on the lift to trace the source of the noise. My exhaust bracket was cracked. He welded the pieces together and reinforced the weak-points. Thereafter, he did a safety-check to make sure my car was road-worthy to make the trip to Los Angeles. Within 1.5 hours, he fixed my bracket, topped off my fluids, checked the tires, and did a test of the computer system. All was groovy. My drive was enjoyable. Many thanks, TAFORZA.

Check 6,

/s/ Alfonso Faustino

15. 4RE886

4RE886 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thank you Tony for taking care of the DD. I recently had the tires all replaced and a minor service! As always thank you and your team for superb service! I have said this many times before - We are so lucky in the Bay area to have the most talented and intelligent Ferrari, Lambo, Mercedes, Range Rover, Porsche, Lexus, BMW, Audi...tech in the entire Bay area. I have brought my Mercedes, RR, Ferraris and Lexus to Tony. He has always provided better care than all the dealers combined. Thank you T&R!

16. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Tony and his guys are great! I had a seriously pressing issue that HAD to be fixed immediately and Tony came to the rescue. Pulled the car in and immediately started calling around for parts...told his guys not to leave until it was fixed...and fixed it was by 545 pm....can't say enough about Tony and his crew!

17. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    Commissioned Tony to perform a lot of restoration work on my 456M:

* Removed entire dash and recovered entire dash
    ** Tony had the leather installed and removed 3 times before it came up to near spec
    * Removed ALL interior plastic and removed sticky
    * Readjusted back bumper and re-gapped to spec
    * Removed entire headliner, which was sagging, and reinstalled perfectly
    * Removed rear leather panel behind passenger seat and recovered with new matching leather
    * Removed and repaired slow leak radiator
    * Repaired front undercarriage aero panel
    * Repaired front spoiler damage from road hazard; colour matched and had clear bra reinstalled.
    * Repaired dings in two rims and repainted.

-------

Restoration came out beautiful. I would go back to Tony again. Selected Tony based on the positive feedback in this thread.

-stu

18. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    I have always been told to not believe (everything) you read online...let me just say that Tony and this place is the real deal.

My story...

Have had a '04 575M for three years now...serviced elsewhere (same mechanic used by the guy I bought the car from). The car had a clutch replaced at 22K miles (bought at 25K miles)...and I was told at close to 40K miles it was really worn and on it's last leg. We elected to simply wait for signs it was a problem...

When I took the car in for it's cam belt service at 55K miles...still no slipping or shifting into N issues...left clutch alone. Maybe not it's last leg??

At 57K miles...driving home shifting from 2 to 3 under load...it went into N for a second...then 'placed' itself into 6th gear before I could regain control and shift again. I tried again and did same thing.

I then learned my mechanic was moving out of the area and thus needed to find someone new.

Thank god I stumbled on this thread.

I emailed Tony...he got back to me within the hour...my car was in his shop the very next day. He said he would do some preliminary diagnostics and get back to me. He told me that day he did not believe it was the clutch. The computer said 22% wear (with 35k miles on clutch) and measured about 2.5mm. He also said without any slippage...was more concerned about an f1 system problem...and the computer had shown a general f1 system malfunction. Not good...maybe actuator...ouch!

He said he needed a day to run through his algorithm. He checked the f1 system (leaks/connections/pump pressures/etc.) and all was good. The dealer fix for this would probably be replacing the entire f1 system (which apparently runs about $25K just for parts)...but Tony felt given his prior experience with similar situations in other cars...he thought the problem might be one of the potentiometers.

He told me when he was going to get the part....how long it would take to install...check the system...and when the car would be ready. All were spot on.

I have been driving the car now for three days and no issues...fingers are still crossed...:)

He also noticed the cooling ducts for the front brakes were cracked (and thus not cooling the rotors) and the f1 system was overfilled...which he corrected.

Best experience I have ever had...period. I really got the impression he treats your car like it was his.

I appreciate a shop not just throwing parts at a problem but rather doing some troubleshooting first.

See you at the next service Tony...and thanks to you and the guys again.

Mike

19. Tifoso Ferrari

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    Had all 4 tires on my 575M changed a few weeks ago. Tony mounted and perfectly balanced a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... very pleased!

20. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    #270 TAFORZA, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Tifoso, you have a beautiful 575M, always looking as glossy as a
    Piano!!!

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Tony is a true pro...I had some issues and had to have them taken cared of on short notice...Tony came through and as all other here have stated - went ABOVE AND BEYOND.

I can't recommend him enough...10/10

Thanks, Tony - very much appreciated

22. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    Just a quick thank you to tony and his team

They took great care of my 993 turbo

Service/new tires/powdercoated rims/fixed alternator belt sensor/and a window rattle

Feel lucky to have found the "right" spot for my cars

23. TAFORZA

TAFORZA Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    San Francisco, USA
    Full Name:
    Tony A.
    You are welcome p1turbo. Your 575M is looking great as well!!

24. SFFerrari

SFFerrari Karting

Jul 21, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LanceD
    Want to add my thanks to Tony and his team for ensuring my 360 Spider will be running fine for miles to come -- installed four new tires (found, mounted and balanced), replaced the heat exchange filter (a lurking problem that Tony is on top of), and repaired a vacuum switch (which they found dangling with three screws missing and the fourth almost gone as well).

As always the work was excellent and and the 'customer service' superb. I love bringing my car to Tony and his team, and am certainly fortunate they are only a few miles from my house!

25. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #275 freshmeat, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    In preparation for Ferrari Racing Days next week, I brought the Scuderia in for a refresher pack.

All fluids changed (with the premium stuff as always), replaced an O2 sensor that was on its way out, Tony also did a once over everything on the car and found that my insanely loud exhaust system had a few rings that came loose. Everything is nice and tight now.

And as a result......and I did not think it was even remotely possible for my loud but sublime system to be even louder, but it is LOUDER now.........so for those of you who will be behind me at Sonoma, bring ear plugs and I apologize in advance if you lose your hearing.