Caring for carbon fiber | FerrariChat

Caring for carbon fiber

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by jacques, Feb 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I am very interested to know how those of you with true carbon fiber maintain these parts.. My sculling oars are constantly exposed to coastal air and salt water spray. I am loathe to use something that might actually harm them
    when carbon racing masts and spars first emerged in the 1970's, we only used fresh water, and "Dawn" dish detergengt, with no visible harm. All thoughts very much appreciated. Thank you. Jq.

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    i have been using carbon fiber fishing equipment for a long time - i Just rinse off and wipe dry - this is in salt water - no problems

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've seen lots of detailers use Klasse wax on them. I believe it's cared for the same way fiberglass is. I'd say for you, grab some meguire's marine wax or another high end marine wax. It will keep the deposits from building up.

4. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If they are 'coated' carbon fiber and not 'dry' then you care for them like any other painted surface. They are clear coated and we always treat that like paint.

You can always wash them, polish any scratches/scuffs out and then apply a permanent/semi-permanent coating to them.

This would provide the most long lasting 'protection' and allow much easier clean up.

Hope this helps!

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ... now that you mentioned 'dry' carbon fibre, what do I do if the coating's worn off? Can I re-coat it with regular varnish or do I need to use a special varnish?

6. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I use plastic cleaner and plastic polish/wax to take care of my carbon fiber.

7. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I also treat it like paint and just use carnuba on it to shine it up.

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Most carbon fiber that you find commercially whether it be wet lamination (coated) or pre-preg (dry) receives a coating of automotive grade clear coat as a finishing step. This clear coat is most often a gloss finish but can also be a satin finish and should be treated the exact same as any painted surface on your car. As such it can be buffed and waxed while minor imperfections can be polished out.

It is quite rare to find raw out of the mold carbon with no finishing of any kind but even those pieces can be treated to a coat of automotive wax to help protect their surface.

Hope this helps

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's good to know. Thanks very much for your input! ;)

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank all of you for your lovely responses to my question. I am greatly relieved that the "dry" surface is rather hearty. I feared de-laminating my oars. So, for now, I will wax, and with warmer weather, will clear coat. Again, thanks. Jq.

11. jimxyz

jimxyz Karting

Mar 17, 2009
    Orange County
    On a related note... I've got bike wheels (Zipp) that are carbon and they have gone from a nice black color to a faded, almost blotchy look. Is there a way to "rejuvenate" carbon (they look like they need some armor all or something on them)? I have been hesitant to use anything on them as I have no idea what might do more harm than good. Thanks for any suggestions (I realize this isn't a ferrari specific question, but I'm sure other forum members are cyclists!)