Musings | FerrariChat

Musings

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by alastairhouston, Feb 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Its been a wee while since I sold my beloved 400GT but no regrets cos it was used worked upon and enjoyably driven all the time in my ownership.

On reflection I per chance was in Paris during the recent classic car auction bonanza and visited with a kind of mixed 'seen it been there feeling' there was the usual slightly awkward auctioneers drooling at the prices fetched for there wares, maybe its just me but I get the feeling they are uneasily just thinly disguising the fact that they are actually robbing the people in front of them and they almost cant believe it themselves. The reality is they actually aren't and its all fine and good work because even at inflated prices a commodity like a classic car only has a limited number and its only going to get rarer and rarer so its all ok.

I watched sale after sale of the usual Daytonas, 250s, Astons etc etc all very nice and there mega euro plus prices and superwealthy bid waving with a wee bit of and quite rightly so showboating I mean I would too if I had that kind of dough!! Did they know what they were buying ? will they drive there cars? Probably not, will they ever do any work on them themselves? probably not, that's ok but it just wont ever add up to the same enjoyment of a car if you haven't done these things.

It was all a world away from my experience of ownership, when I looked at the various cars especially a nice 365GTC4 (with our engine) I dreamed again! Its all good.

Regards
    Alastair

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I've always loved the GTC/4......too bad they are now out of reach, I should have bought one 10 years ago.

Thanks for the musings Alastair. I'm still surprised you sold your car.... :)

3. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Yep I saw loads of superhigh value cars last but one out of hundreds really caught my eye was the 365GTC4 it was light grey blue colour, beautiful lines and same usability as our 400s ie a boot with space 2+2 seating understated in a beautiful way. Your right its lovely. Well for me out of reach and it went for 170 000 euro and that was completely untouched so only a starting point before the usual expenditure!

I only sold because I was skint! (in Scottish that means without excess cash!) I would have never ever sold it otherwise, but like I said I am delighted that I enjoyed the experience of it.

Regards
    Alastair