Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    IMO it's just TV I have watched a few of these shows being filmed and they often film multiple quotes by the shows personality prior to the auction. The editing crew then has enough ammo to allow the producer to make the show look and sound the way he wants.

LOL The one thing I have noticed about Wayne while they are filming is that it takes him a lot of takes to get the scene right, he doesn't appear to be a natural, nice guy though.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Wayne is doing the best job out there of anyone on TV. He is a good man and a serious car enthusiast.

3. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    This. Selling cars, making deals, and producing good TV are not all that different. There's often three acts to the story, a lot of manufactured drama, and many different parties doing a heap of pretending. Such is business, lest we forget that he's a businessman.

4. cam man

cam man Karting

Nov 6, 2004
    Wayne was parked next to me at Cavallino this year. I never spoke with him but watched him interact with the crowd. He was very genuine and pleasant to anyone that approached him. Seems like a real straight shooter to me.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The sales estimates for cars, art, sports memorabilia, etc, are so variable with the hammer price that I don't follow that anymore.

As far as Wayne, I like his show, but unfortunately I don't have much time to follow it regularly. He's one of the few that doesn't focus on muscle cars nor the modern cars that are tuned with sleep-inducing ECU reprogramming instructions (how exciting to watch). I also noticed his sales weren't as expected in the earlier years and I felt bad for him because he seemed like a true enthusiast working hard to keep his job and hobby one in the same. It's something I and probably most here wish they could do.

I also don't get the fact people don't want to buy a car someone died in. It's not like the car murdered the person. It's similar to how people don't like the Hitler MBs as if the cars did something wrong.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Rob: If you REALLY want to rant about a TV show, rant about Top Gear Patagonia. That was complete BS. They make it seem like they travel with just the 3 of them and in the end they have a caravan and crew that would have fill a 747 freighter.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mmmmm...no. He's a car pimp just like the rest of them -- pushing pretty metal boxes on people who think there's a buck in their future for it.

The best part of the show is his mechanic, Roger. That guy deserves his own show.

8. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    He really does. I'd watch that.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    For me, that's a fairly low bar. By far the best thing on Velocity IMO is the Isle of Man TT, and that's only one week out of the year.

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

+1 Roger is a hoot! It seems there's no old school car he can't fix...T

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I love watching Roger do his magic.

TG this season has largely been a bust.

12. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Well, I passed on a '66 big tank Corvette because a prior owner had lost it going around a curve, hit a guy wire right at the A-pillar which then sliced his head off. I would have forever had visions of someone's head rolling around in the back of the storage area.

George

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Many have died in Cobra's over the years as well.

14. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    +2 !

Roger is the man and after hearing him talking about something that happened to him years ago I can only guess he must be 70++

15. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    I am pretty sure he is the same Roger Barr who was a pretty good SCCA race driver in the late 60's. He drove Formula cars and ran an Alfa Autodelta GTA in the Trans-Am series with J.D. Iglehart.

16. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Spot on again Bob!

Just another thought, who does Wayne Carini buy these barn finds from and does he pay fair prices?
    I'm sure we all admire the greed of a good discovery deal but what about when it is buying from the widow ?

17. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    I only dealt with Wayne once. As I recall, he had sold an Aston Martin V8 Volante with Quicksilver headers. The gentleman who bought it found there would be a knocking/vibration when accelerating spiritedly. The customer lived close to the shop I was working at the time, so he asked us to have a look. Well, the Quicksilver headers are known to contact the chassis when the engine torques during hard acceleration. Weak engine mounts don't help the situation.

The repair required replacing the engine mounts, then heating the header tubes and bending them slightly to clear the chassis rail. Wayne was up-front and paid for the repair. We were fair with pricing and Wayne was prompt with payment. Very nice over the phone, too. A class-act in my book.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you are referring to the 250GTO the driver supposedly died at the hospital and not in the car so likely no bad juju after all.

19. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    The show is not exactly Sixty Minutes but it is my favorite car show. It gives the average guy like me great insight into the classic car world.

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    From watching the show, I believe if memory is correct, his daughter is autistic.

21. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    A few years ago I saw Wayne at Amelia at about 9pm on the Saturday night of, and he rightfully looked exhausted. Obvious that he was calling it a night. Never met him before in my life, and as he was walking out of the venue we were in, we just happened to make eye contact, and he stopped to say hi, shake another strangers hand, and make small talk about the event. I thought it was genuinely awesome. Garnered a new found personal experience from him. Was pretty cool.

22. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Correct

23. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I like his show. Wayne seams very sincere and a guy that you want to buy a car from.

24. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    No, the buyer of the collection is from California. The person that bought his GTO is in Texas.

And most knowledgeable collectors knew that auctioned GTO was sub $40. Some had it in the $20's almost.

25. Fred32097

Fred32097 Karting

Apr 6, 2005
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Fred
    My wife and I had our picture taken with Wayne today at Amelia. Have spoken to him at Cavallino a few times and talked to him about buying a Lusso several years ago. He's always been cordial. Seems like a really nice guy. +1 on the idea that he has a reputation to maintain as all dealers with significant years and money invested in the business do.