Reducing Weight on 308. Tips? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Reducing Weight on 308. Tips?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SeanPeterLynch, Feb 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Put down the fork.

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    This is a radiator I bought here from FerrariPilot. I believe there was a thread discussing its' performance here somewhere.

3. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    And the rest of the entire A/C system (all the components) too ---- total weight is close to 75 lbs, IIRC.

4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    What? I find that hard to believe. I'll weight everything except the compressor today to see.

5. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Ya Steven I had to put it in there when I thought of the old sodium wheels, haha :)

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Okay, I gave it more thought. Lose the cig liter, take out the side glass and install mesh, and lose the passenger seat. A little something left over from my racing days, I only carried 2 gallons

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    #32 HotShoe, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I weighed my evaporator enclosure complete with the RetroAire upgraded motors and backing plate. I also redid my enclosure out of fiberglass. The entire assembly weighed in at 13.4 pounds. My new Sanden compressor weighed 14.4 pounds and the AC condenser weighed a whole whopping one pound. Even if you add the rocker hoses, drier, and pressure switch you are still well below 50 pounds.

Glad I kept it given the Florida heat.

I'll weigh the hoses and fittings tomorrow. I took pics of everything on the scale for future reference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #33 finnerty, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    The stock OE Aspera compressor (some of the 308s did not have these units) that was on my US spec '81 weighed 27 lbs, the OE condenser was 6, the OE evap / enclosure with controls was about 16, all the brackets + mounting hardware was nearly 4, the drier / expansion valve / switch was 1.5, all the hoses + fittings was 13, and misc (idler pulley / bracket / clamps / refrigerant) was another 3.

= 70.5 lbs for the system I pulled of my car.

The 75 lb figure was from memory ---- so, I checked my notes to find it actually was 70.5 lb.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Mine is so going away...

If I can't drive with the windows down, what's the point? So why have AC? Sorry, but to me it's a stupid luxury thing that I just don't even want, let alone need. The weight seals it's fate, in my opinion.

My 2006 P car has perfect AC...I've never used it! Even in summer I drive with the windows down for the sound and feel. If I wanted a comfy cruiser, I would have bought a German taxicab.

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think he meant water volume. Water is heavy. If the aluminum radiator is eight pounds lighter and holds an extra gallon of water then it's even.

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    They do help road debris from puncturing the fuel tanks, so if you go lighter do put something heavy-duty between the tire and the fuel tanks. The rest of it seems less important.

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think your weights are off or you are counting something twice. The air pump is way less than 30lbs. including brackets and hoses. The air injection rails are probably a pound combined. But the AC, as described above, is double the 30lbs. you cite, so your overall is about right.
    Depends on year. Could be more savings for a thermoreactor being swapped for an intentionally lightweight system.

A full size wheel and tire is 40+ pounds. A can of fix-a-flat is maybe 2?

Lithium ion battery, anyone?

No, we already know. It all goes on the shelf!!

13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Wow! What year/model is your car? My OEM condenser isnt any where near 6 pounds. 27 pounds for the compressor is crazy.

For this of us who need AC and are worried about weight I highly suggest you look into the RetroAire kit.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I'd agree but then I'd have to park my car from May to September. 90 degrees with insane humidity makes AC a must here not a luxury.

15. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Search through my earlier posts about my 308. I cut nearly 400 pounds of weight off my car years back.

16. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    arrgh ... you`re right ;-)
    I mixed up some items ... thanks for the correction, Brian !

17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Yep. Removing weight Willey Nelly has the potential to get one into trouble and could make a very good driving car a death trap.

18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Is it going to be a Daily driver or a track/ D.E. car?

19. SeanPeterLynch

SeanPeterLynch Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Its more for those windy country backroads. Maybe track here and there

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Here's mine:

No air pump
    No A/C
    Euro front bumper
    Fiberglass euro replica bumper in back
    Lighter exhaust
    No spare - a lot of the time
    Removed US metal "diaper" and metal vents and replaced with replica rear euro valence
    No distributors - replaced with XDI ignition

I think that's it. It is a significant amount of weight. I'll weigh my GTS this summer to see what it weighs.

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  22. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is very close to mine, how much weight do think you shed?

23. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Definitely true!

I would also add suspension tuning. I still need to do a proper shakedown on my 308, but I have more perished bushings to replace before I can do so. In the meantime, I drive it at a lower limit so to speak.

People put various spring rates and shocks on these things sometimes, various sway bars, etc - then they mess with weight. It will behave differently. Very important to understand that and get a proper alignment with corner-balance and ride-height/rake set if possible.

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    200 lbs maybe? I will drop a touch more once I put this Tubi exhaust on. Plus it sounds like people argue about the actual weight from the factory to begin with - I have never weighed mine. I will head down to Fowler Automotive once I have completed my current work on it for a full alignment, so we will see.

Also - the weight with the bumpers is quite far out from the front/rear axles, so it really does help handling to get that weight reduced + pulled in toward the center of the car. How much? People will argue. BMW puts CF roofs on their cars so...depends how your brain works and what makes you happy. Some people can feel the difference, and others cannot.

25. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    A good question, with a very, very simple answer: for truly radical weight reduction, relocate the vehicle to the Moon, or Mars. NASA can most likely be of assistance here, providing that sufficient stowage space on an upcoming heavy lift rocket can be scheduled, and that sufficient funding is obtained.
    On the Moon it will then weigh 1/6 of its current weight; on Mars, about 3/8. Of course the mass, and therefore acceleration times (discounting the loss of drag from a lack- or near lack- of atmosphere), will be the same, but that wasn't the question, was it? Traction on moondust may, however be an issue. If you plan to actually drive it in its new home the issue of no atmosphere on the Moon or only mostly carbon dioxide and no oxygen on Mars will of course inhibit performance, suggesting the necessary design & installation of a new, enclosed O2 injection system (at least!) not to mention the somewhat massive spacesuit, etc. the driver would have to wear, and so on. Perhaps conversion to an all-electric powerplant? Think solar panels, here! Details, details!

Cheers,
    Rich