458 Italia /488 GTB design | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia /488 GTB design

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Feb 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Since this is the design thread, I'll ask a design question. What led to the end of the relationship between Ferrari and Pininfarina?

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The Pinin design is worth something that's for sure. How much time will tell.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Mirrors are the same as is the roof and steering wheel.

I like my 458 spider diamond wheels better.

4. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    488 looks anorexic in a bad way...

Robb

5. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Those side by side comparisons make me want to put the Speciale rims on a 458 and just call it a day

6. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +458

8. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    #33 colonels, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hah i actually photoshopped it. rims do make a big difference. i think i might actually do this to my spider!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #34 MalibuGuy, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    The side intake design and the nose appear to reference the LaFerrari.

In fact, if I were to order a car, I would ask the factory to paint the splitter flat black or omit it entirely, to give the car more of the LaFerrari look. Also maybe paint the roof black too!

This is a small point, but I think the side mirror design should be in some even very small way different from the Italia and perhaps the roof too.

10. Webraider

Webraider Karting

Sep 12, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ulli
    Just about EVERYTHING that came to MY mind once I laid my eyes on the car.

It does NOT have the wonderfully fluid forms of the 458 which has a VERY unique
    look comprising of BOTH futuristic AND classic-inspired, soft lines.

Maybe I'm a bit old-schoool but I prefer the looks of the 458 and wouldn't
    swap it with the 488 as in my view the absolutely georgeous, sculpture-like
    flow of the (nearly) non-interrupted bodylines of the 458 is second to none.

Especially the side that looks like a scarf cast upon the car and blowing in
    the wind - perfect.

Front of the 488 is Lambo-like, side is spoiled by the (necessary turbo-)
    air-intakes, only thing good is the backside which is simple and flowing.

The 488 will surely be quicker, but to me it isn't PRETTIER which is THE
    major part of my buying decisions. A 250 SWB cab e.g. is STILL my dream
    car, even if it s*cks in terms of driving compared to modern cars.

I prefer pretty women to quick ones, so MY choice is obvious... ;)

Best,
    Ulli

11. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    #36 Forcefed, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    Love the side vents and profile especially the rear. Not a big fan of the front looks a bit too busy.

Will keep my Scuderia thank you

12. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    Here is my take on these futuristic cars. Automakers have to follow the strict emissions rules. The new cars will be faster/powerful and out perform the older ones. Looks are very subjective, some will hate and some will love the new designs. But to me the key point in owning these exotics is the character, emotions and how they drive that truly sets them apart from your run of the mill other make cars.

Unfortunately those new generation Ferraris, Lambo, Macs and even Porsche are becoming less fun to drive given all the intrusive computers input thus making it a boring machine that will mostly appeal to those who just want to be noticed while driving downtown.

And unfortunately again this is what sells these day, we enthusiasts love a raw, engaging car, but how many of us r there, the general public wants the digital tach, the huge screen and the touch start button. To them the comfier and the flashier the better..........oh well, life goes on.

13. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    a traditonal bauhaus design resembles the shape of a box with nothing on it or in it :)
    joke aside, cgt is far from simplistic and the discontinued roofline really hasn't dated well imo ( from 3/4 view it looks like a pick up truck!) 918 is definitely a leap in aesthetic to me for porsche. p1 though, is not so much an improvement at all from f1, and from most angles it is less pleasing to look at compared to the old car. but laferrari is definitely an improvement over enzo. sure it is an evolution derived from the basic enzo form ( compared to the gap between f50 to enzo, the gap between enzo and laferrari seems less ground-breaking and less original) but the in-house design team really improved on the aesthetic issues that happened on enzo, for example, enzo looks beefy and odd from the front top view and it departs so much from its profile, where laferrari excels in being more sleek all over from almost all viewing angles ( of course if you hate laferrai even up to this day, you will disagree with what i just said). also lighting and camera distortion of photos really affect our judgement sometime. having seen both enzo and laferrari in flesh, i must say laferrari is the more desirable one of the two.

but this 488 so far is working only 50% for me. lets hope that they show the car or release some better photos soon.

14. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Hopefully, like the 458, it will look a lot better in the flesh. Having said that...

It can't be a coincidence that this design lacks the cohesion of the 458. There's no grand composition here. More a collection of jarring parts. And, therein, would have been the experience of Pininfarina had their pen been brought to bear.

'Boarderline vulgar' is a good way to put it. In fact, the side vents are almost childish, comical in their gape. They 'fight' with the side of the car rather than grace its profile. The front is horribly abrupt and also, somehow, characterless. The rear is rather bland, almost Toyotaish, though the treatment of the rear lights, where the bodywork 'folds' over the lights and a sympathetic line runs off to the back window, is just wonderful. As are the much simplified glass elements of the rear lights.

The whole thing looks like a 458 that has suffered at the hands of Mansory.

I very much look forward to being proven wrong when I see it in the flesh.

15. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Mmmm... then again, maybe red is the problem...

View image: F2

View image: F3

View image: F5

Lol!

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    To my untrained eye it looks as though they handed a beautiful and elegant design by Pininfarina (the 458) to a highschool class of automotive design enthusiasts.

The base they start with is so superb that any reasonable effort will also look superb, but the angles, cuts, and swoops are mere additions to a previous design language, and not a concept that can stand on their own.

This may just be a function of my advancing age, and younger eyes admire and appreciate those add ons, whereas I appreciate more the flowing lines of the underlying theme.

My sense is however, if the same people who came up with the modifications on the 488 were tasked with a new ground-up design, it would be horrible. I don't think they are demonstrating the same level of sophistication the people at Pininfarina have done year in and year out.

Of course, this could all change when seeing the proportions in person, and different color schemes and CF contrasting pieces could make all the difference.

[Another thing which concerns me, and it isn't design, is the performance. I am a very competent driver who pays close attention to everything going on around me when driving my Italia. My Italia has an insane amount of performance as it is, and if not very careful one can end up in a lot of trouble very quickly (not just with the Law, but with other drivers on the road not being able to predict your rate of speed and directional control). It is one thing to be alone on a backroad and "overcook" a corner, it is quite another to be on more populated roads and having to account for other drivers. Now, add another 100HP and another >100 lb-ft of torque, and you have one lethal weapon right there. This HP war has to stop sometime, and then the "beauty" of the car, and the aural beauty, will be the selling pieces...and the Italia has the 488 beat in those regards IMO.]

17. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Unfortunately there is, all other things being equal, one thing you can always sell people: 'More'.

18. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    I don't want MORE, I want less :D
    Less weight and the same power would do ;) And also the consumption would be less. Job done :D

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They did come up with an all new design: LaFerrari
    An excellent 1st car IMVHO

20. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    It's quite simple. This has nothing to do with Ferrari, Sergio or Luca and their relationship with Pininfarina. Around 2011, Pininfarina announced that they would stop making automotive designs. Cars that have been designed in conjunction with Pininfarina and debuted after 2011, have been done so simply because the design process was started before 2011, like with the F12. There will be no more Pininfarina cars, from any manufacture, this was in no way shape or form, a decision made by anyone at Ferrari or Fiat/Chrysler.

21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I find the 488 a bit love/hate. Some aspects look great (rear end), some aspects look out of place (side vents). It's as if the car was designed by a group of individuals who focused on their bit of the whole, but didn't compare notes. One focused on the front end, another on the side, another on the rear. Then some magical committee came together to review the assembled jigsaw before meddling with it a bit more to end up with a bit of a fruit salad.

22. Valkyre

Valkyre Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    I think Pininfarina seized automotive production in 2011, not the design part of the business. Their website even now, clearly states that car design is still a service they provide.

23. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    There's something missing from the flanks of the 488 that sums it all up for me: one word, in classic script, "pininfarina." Fred

24. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    The fact that neither the front nor the rear are in any way designed to accept number plates shows that this is a bit of a hash job re-design.

On this evidence, I would much prefer to have Pininfarina on the side rather than shields (although both is also good!).

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Didn't realise it was the same team.
    Thanks.
    (Though I don't think personally the LaFerrari is as graceful and elegant as the 458.)