Current Testarossa Values | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Current Testarossa Values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UAS, Nov 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Absolutely stunning! Every time I take my car to a gathering it attracts attention from 5yr olds to 80yr olds. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but how can anyone not be impressed by that picture!

2. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    The way the market looks to me is that when the TR's are depreciating, the later models sell for more, but when the TR market is appreciating, the single-mirrors sell for more. The reason that this rule is not more obvious right now is that the market seems to be in transition, so we don't see consistency in the pricing. Some people in the market are still thinking of TR's as depreciating, and others are thinking that appreciation has begun. The same effect occurred with E-type Jaguars -- the early E's are the worst to drive and to maintain, and least comfortable, but when appreciation overcame depreciation, the early models became the highest-priced. Same here. The flying mirror doesn't make rear viewing easy, but when the TR's are appreciating, the "cool" factor and rarity of the feature will dominate over ease of driving and mechanical improvements.

3. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
    respectfully, the flying mirror isn't difficult to see objects from behind, it can be used with some assurance of proximity to others…if I cared what was behind :)
    (bastardized quote from cannonball rally: The first rule of Italian driving is: what behind, no matter", hahahaha)

4. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Thanks Jeff....Even next to a new 458, the TR gets more attention because the design is so outrageous. If the single mirror was placed at regular height, low on the A pillar, it wouldn't be as dramatic. Up high is where it belongs!

I always know what is around me and try not to make many lane changes so the single mirror is not an issue.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    In a Daytona of course ;)

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0[/ame]

6. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    My favorite Ferrari.

Joe

7. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Bidding ended at $77,000 on '86 blk/tan.....no sale.

8. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Ny idea how many miles were on it or any other details?

9. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    No surprise, contrary to the belief of some on this site, early single mirror cars just don't bring the $$$

10. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    You can't make blanket statements. Anyone here actually know the car? Each car is different, each auction is different and even which day of the auction is different. You forget GregTe, today is Wednesday....Would you want YOUR car going on the block on a Wednesday at 11:30 am after a 3 day holiday?

Would it have brought more in Scottsdale last weekend? Maybe?

Have you seen this car personally? I doubt it. Do you know the condition of the car? Miles? Paint? Who did service? Wrecks? At $77,000 + commission = $84,700. What we do know is it got to $77,000....Not bad....

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ho! Greg I think you stepped on Jag15 toe. Same year, same color as his. You hit a sensible nerve.

12. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Not toe stepping...Not at all. Just stating that people make blanket statements on cars they know nothing about....It is a general statement that stands if it is any car.

BTW....I predicted it would bring only $65,000 on a Wednesday.....It went higher.....sorry.

Again...anyone know this car PERSONALLY????

13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Look at the other cars in the auction
    Then think about who showed up
    Cleb kadiidilhopper was there for sure!
    Seller made a poor choice

14. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    Didn't mean to step on any toes, fact is though I have not seen one single mirror car sell for big bucks, contrary to what people one here say. There are just no facts to backup that the single mirror cars are more valuable and collectable, sale results show the opposite. I have owned two single mirror cars and both times I bought them only because they were substantially cheaper than the later cars, as I suspect is the same reason fellow Fchatters bought theirs. You are right $84700 is pretty good for that car, especially because it is black. Black is probably one of the best looking colors on a TR but red is hands down more valuable to collectors.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Guys I made the toe stepping comment as a joke. And I also think the price is not bad at all.

16. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I personally know of a 1985 Flying Mirror TR which sold for $100K in early 2014. Car has low miles and is red/tan and all original. The sale was a private sale between collectors.

Ken

17. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    It isn't. Good in fact for a Wednesday. 5-6yrs ago that was 50-60 car. There's a 8k mi '91 up on Sat.

18. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #343 Jaguar 15, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No offense taken guys....we're having a friendly discussion with different viewpoints. I'll put my side on the table.

Early in 2013, I felt the Testarossa market hit bottom and went looking with a $60,000 price in mind. I specifically wanted a black/tan single mirror because of it being unique. Luck would have it, found my future beast with a private party in Florida. Previously owned by a lawyer, a Delta pilot then an insurance company owner, it had won a number of FCA trophies in it's day. Always been serviced by Algar, then Tim Stanford and Murray Bacchus.

I called Murray Bacchus who did the engine out one month before ...his comment was, "Is he crazy selling it , I just did everything possible on that car". It had just had the engine out, open check book service 1 month before with 200 miles on it. Clutch, all bearings, motor mounts, trans separated/dropped/sealed, side cover, boots, axels, water pump, hoses, air cond, brakes, remove dash, evaporator box, new blower motor, even new stereo and speakers. You name it, it was done. Total bill...almost over $24,000! Service records from 1987 included with manual and tool kit.

I flew to Florida, looked at it in person, went to his bank, wired the cash to him. We dropped it off at Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale who handled the shipping and it was in Huntington Beach one week later. The rest is history....I had exactly what I set out to find.

Now....the best part....drum roll please....I paid $38,000. So we are all straight, the $38,000 was the total, not $38,000 + $24,000......

As you can imagine, I really don't care what the prices of a Testarossa do. I'm as happy as a pig in....well, you know.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    CONGRATS!!..Have no Words:)

20. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Wow Jaguar_15 - that's a great story & great buy. Thanks for sharing. One of these days we'll bump into one another in HB.

21. Total Recall

Total Recall Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2014
    East Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Dominic Bradley
    Well just shows anything can happen at auction!

For me black and single mirror would be the ultimate. Maybe not being red does affect the value a little but not by much surely?

This red lhd 86 with 65,000 miles sold at auction in September for 63k GBP or about $100k:
    Bonhams : 1986 Ferrari Testarossa Coupé Chassis no. ZFFAA17B000062173

Needless to say if I could trade my euro rhd red 86 for an identical black one and the $23k difference between those 2 auctions I would! Somehow don't think that opportunity would ever arise though.

For the person who was asking for last weeks auction results a few posts back, here they are:
    1990 red lhd 171 miles, $250,800
    Bonhams : 1990 Ferrari Testarossa Chassis no. ZFFSG17A8L0083742 Engine no. A04018159

1991 red lhd 8000 miles, $154,000
    1991 Ferrari Testarossa | Gooding & Company

1988 red lhd 280 miles, $269,500
    1988 FERRARI TESTAROSSA - Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

1988 black lhd 6000 miles, $159,500
    1988 Ferrari Testarossa | Arizona 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

Prices are all in ofc.

Dom.

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Jaguar15, you're a super Lucky guy! I would have use different words but I don't know you :). That was a real steal, the deal of a lifetime IMO. Even If I didn't really want a single Mirror I would have buy it. Yes that guy was crazy. Or the wife gave him an ultimatum.

I started looking around the same time as you. My choices were 1st yellow, 2nd black. Found mine near and at a price I was happy with.

If I was to sell the car now I wouldn't let it go for less than a $100K, and I would have remorse at this price.

The market value is what an owner is willing to sell for and what the buyer is willing to pay for a specific car.

Some may say my car is not worth what I'm asking but it's their problem if they want it not mine. I think it's even worth more than that compared to what I've seen. I know the condition of my car.

So like you said about the black one we don't know the condition of it.

No matter what our cars are worth on the market if we are happy with them that is ALL what is important and I am. Even if they fall down to $20K.

Your car is absolutely gorgeous. Except for the Mirror ;-)!

23. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Great thanks

24. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Here is a great look at the "dark period" of the Testarossa. I still remember it well. I have posted about this before. It was the early 2000s and everyone I talked to regarding the TR or Countach had nothing but bad things to say. "too eighties, car looks cheesy, outdated" etc. etc. Listen to the fifth gear fellows shred it as well. I'd love to hear their comments on the car present day. However, if you look at the facial expressions of all the people they talk to on the the street. When they utter the majestic word, "Testarossa" their faces light up with excitement! Which is what the car is, was, and will always be :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt0G_VVlAm0

Fast forward to 4:00

25. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I don't know, I think the video vindicated the T.R. as an eternal legend even then.