Noisy fuel pump ? | FerrariChat

Noisy fuel pump ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by bob348, Jan 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    #1 bob348, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    I just bought a 599 from 10/2008...
    Only 10.000 miles.

Car runs perfectly, damn fast, no error message, no problem at all BUT...

I don't now if it is normal but...I do have Noisy fuel pumps (I assume) during 20 s after start-up, then noise stop.
    The noise come back for 4 seconds if I blip the throttel to 6500 rpm ????

No anoying noise when I switch the power on, only after start up, everytime for exactly 20-21 seconds ???

Any explanation ?

Video: https://vid.me/9pNI

noise starts at 16s and stop at 36 s ?????
    Then come back after hit the throttle at 47 s...for 3 or 4s

2. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    The fuel pumps (two of them, one for each cylinder bank) are in the fuel tank, which is in the rear of the car. Is this indeed where the noise is coming from?

Contrary to older EFI systems that have the fuel pump running at a constant speed, the 599 pumps are controlled by the ECU and only pump as required, managing the returnless fuel system. So it would make sense that they'd have to pump harder when you blip the throttle.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Geoffrey- You sure it is not your F1 pump?

4. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Yes , i am sure , F1 pump is less audible than that and the noise from the F1 pump is shorter. And if I select the first gear, I can hear both noise together...
    When I switch the power on, before start up I can hear the fuel pumps very slightly. Then after start up i have the noise in the video....

5. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Yes the noise is coming from Behind the seats... Do both pumps work Together ?
    So the pumps have variable speed. depending on the amount of the necessary amount of fuel?
    So this Could be the explanation...
    But is it normal that they are So noisy ?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Geoffrey- One pump for each bank, just like the Motronic 7.3.2 ignition/injection ECUs. Treated like two inline 6s.

7. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Ok, I understand, So both pumps work together and have variable speed Depending on the fuel request.
    But is it normal that they are so noisy at higher speed ? Or does it show that they are becoming weak ?

8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #8 4th_gear, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    A possible explanation for the noises could be that at engine startup the pumps are working harder to pressurize the fuel injectors. The pumps then back off once operating pressure has been reached. When you blip the engine, the injectors once again require more pressure because they are being worked more rapidly in line with the engine rev speeds, so the pumps have to work harder again to maintain the pressures.

If this is the case and your pump(s) are noisier than they should be I would have them checked ASAP. Should be easy to verify in the shop with a mechanic revving the engine and another to listen for the pumps.

The fuel filters are apparently integral to the fuel pumps in the 612, not sure if they can be changed without changing out the entire pump assembly. You may want to examine the pumps/filters to see if they were contaminated by dirty fuel. If so, the fuel tank should be checked as well to avoid ruining another set of pumps.

9. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    Thanks for your input.
    I think that the explanation of the nouse variation is correct.
    What i don't know is if the noise level is normal or not.
    If some 599 owners Could comment it would be nice !

10. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    I presently have a thread on Algar tech line and the pumps shouldn't make noise in the passenger compartment. The actual R&R of the pumps is not difficult. Access is another issue. My thread asks how to remove the interior pieces behind the seats without damaging the panels. Bottom line... they shouldn't make noise that can be heard in the interior.

11. bob348

bob348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Liege, Belgium
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey
    have you already replace your Noisy pumps or not yet ?

12. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    No, Haven't had time to start taking interior luggage shelve apart. Pumps are about $650.00 each. One has the fuel level circuit in it the other does not. BTW there's a youtube video on how to change the style fuel pumps we have.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I cannot hear my fuel pumps, but i do have the exhaust valves open all the time.
    My pumps have just been replaced due to poor starting after a hot shut down.

14. ddonzella

ddonzella Karting

Jun 2, 2014
    Davie
    When you have a noisy pump you can here the hum at idle even with the exhaust valves open. Once you are underway with valves open the noise is harder to here.