Hard to start | FerrariChat

Hard to start

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by martinez9049, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinez9049

martinez9049 Rookie

Nov 22, 2014
    Hey guys,

I have an 87 3.2 mondial and having issues getting it started. When cranking it turns over and runs for 2 seconds from the gas from the cold start valve, but dies immediately afterwards. Sometimes it turns over just fine but that's the rare case. Once it's running it runs like a champ though. I've searched through the forum and have checked some of the usual suspects but can't seem to find what that may be yet. I pulled an injector to see what happens while cranking it and nothing comes out. Is there a rpm sensor or a sensor that makes the fuel injectors come on during crank? Does anyone have a fuel system technical doc on how the system is supposed to work or conditions needed? Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance...

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #2 Rapalyea, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    Just my own home remedy. I have always added about 8oz of two cycle oil to my gas to coat all the surfaces against ethenaol, to lube whaterver might be there to lube. And of course the injectors can us some lube.

I have been doing this going on 10,000 miles so I doubt it will do any harm. Also injector cleaner might loosen something blocking the flow. But I defer to actual experts on this matter. Also, if you never give the car full throttle at some moderate speed you will never get much flow through the system. Or exercise all the little bits. Even full throttle from 2,500 to 3.500 might address that. Though I almost always shift between 3k and 4k.

I beleive in exercising mechanical devices. But all this is from no specific knowledge, though I don't think any of it is dangerous.

3. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Try checking the accumulator by the fuel pump.

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I would also think about the disintegration of the fuel pump sleeves blocking the fuel system but I would be surprised if both cylinder banks would be blocked at the same time. I would try adamae82's suggestion first. Then check if the fuel pumps are working by activating the fuel pump by bridging the relay plug. You can find the procedure by searching fuel pumps,I think. Good luck. Keep us informed.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do a search on "blue safety switch" -- those threads will explain how two relays (along with the safety switch) control the K-Jet fuel pump operation during starter cranking and normal engine running.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is exactly what happened to me..the fuel pump sleeves feel apart and blocked the fuel system. It did juts prevent one side from firing - so your situation might be very different. Ended up replacing both of em for about $1,200

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Gents, this only applies to a t -- the OP has a 3.2 (that only has one fuel pump and no disintegrating sleeves).

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks Steve, my apologies....

9. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Sorry. I should have known this.

10. martinez9049

martinez9049 Rookie

Nov 22, 2014
    thanks for all the response guys...i just tested the fuel pump and am only getting about 2 bar when blocking the flow. I previously ruled out the fuel pump since the car runs great once it gets started, but i ordered a fuel pump and should have tomorrow to put that in and see.

11. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    so you can read my issues that I had

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/465425-cold-start-valve-csv.html

if your accumulator is holding pressure to cut to chase if it runs well once started most likely some kind of electrical

my advice is to change out the relays first

see last my last post in the thread

$10 bucks each from NAPA

have not had starting or dying issue since!