How good is the Ford GT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

How good is the Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luke Warmwater

Luke Warmwater Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    You're...

I sold my FGT a few years back. Shortly after, the build on the car above commenced. I am confounded how connecting these two dots has escaped you? I take that back lol

2. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It is great to hear your perceptions as well. That is what my perception of that car is, and I am happy to hear that it was right. I have a couple of Detomaso's(73 L and 85 GT5-S) and they are very easy to live with as well, although probably not anywhere near as comfortable or as powerful.

At one Italian car event at the Pocono's there was a red Ford GT there with the racing exhaust on it. I was very impressed to say the least. I also think the owner had done some minor upgrades and the power was supposedly ~700hp. It went very well.

Ford did a great job on this car. If they do build another one, I hope they do not alter the formula too much.

3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Its amazing how many GT's get modified. For such an expensive car, owners can't wait to unlock potential HP.

4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    It appears that the majority of us who do upgrades on the GT stick to bolt-ons/tune/exhaust....very easily reversable if you go to sell.

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #180 leead1, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Anything that is made by man can be reversed. Some easy others hard which is what you meant :)

For me I never buy a car that has been modified. I always want stock and I leave the car stock.

Only the engineers who designed the engines know how far they can push the horse power. Having said that most machines are built with a 50% safety factors. I built and engineered machine that were sold around the world, 197 countries to be exact. This is standard practice or it was when I worked and it probably still is.

I was fortunate to be able to talk to the engine designer for several cars that are sold world wide. He had just retired and was moving to Florida. He was talking about the engine on the FGT and what struck me in his opinion several of the high hp modifications could cause valve train float and eventually failure. He said he was not sure but it would be easy to run a few numbers to find out. I thanked him but it was not needed since I stay stock.

Best

Lee

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Luke. The car was NEVER built. It is an ARTIST CONCEPTION.

7. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
  8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That is not the Matech car you posted- but is it the one with cup holders lol?

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
  10. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    I'll take that response as an indication that the bulb has finally illuminated if oh so dimly...

How about we talk about the FGT. Is there anyone here who has or would be willing to pay more than $200k for a non Heritage car with > 10,000 miles?

11. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Dude, stop deleting posts and going back and editing old posts. I'm having a hard enough time following your ramblings as it is. I don't know Rich Brooks nor did I sell the car to Rich Brooks. I'm done with that subject, believe what you want. It's not like a great conundrum to anyone but you.

Do you want to repost your $10k finder fee offer?

12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I neglected in reading your post to see that you were talking about non Heritage. A million apologies oh Ford GT genius with the only produced model that had "cup holders". I ONLY POSTED the subject about a Rich because I knuw that was never your car. This renders most of your disparaging remarks about cruiser Ford GTs/Sinatra blaring bs to be just that - B. S.

Bye!

13. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    So after all that you're still clinging to the assertion that was never my car? All you have to do is go read the build thread on the FGT forum to plainly see it was but moving on...

I think there is a misconception that FGTs are immune from the same depreciation that impacts other cars of the era. It is assumed now days that driver 430's and Gallardo's can be had in the low $100's and even less. I was putting ~2500 miles a year on mine which today would have added up to ~16k miles. I doubt it would have brought more than $175k real money. An FGT driver with 30Kkmiles would struggle to bring $150k. While that is impressive for sure it does not indicate the average FGT is headed to a million dollars or even $500k as many have indicated. Wrapper Heritage cars maybe but that's about it.

14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Somehow your insight fails to convince me Luke. Not to mention the entire market. A ford GT with 22,000 miles just sold at Shelby for 194,000. Another one last month sold privately for 188,000 with 37,000 miles! Keep up the BS to try to drive prices down so you can get backin Luke but it ain't happening.

15. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    #191 ghibliman, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Luke (sellers remorse) Warmwater - 61 posts

And I'll leave this previous post here from 'ol Luke when he owned one. Certainly had a different perspective then LOL. Ohh the hypocrisy :)

"Wonderful cars. I looked at an SPF GT40. Unless you're 5'5 I doubt you would be able to fit in one. I'm not bagging on them but you are comparing a kit car to a factory auto when considering investment potential." - Luke Warmwater

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/american-muscle/283639-getting-horny-ford-gt-3.html#post139583613

16. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Then again, you're the person who cannot connect two dots that are nearly touching each other. Asking price and selling prices are not the same thing. Please post any links you have for driver FGTs with more than 10k miles.

17. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    With experience comes knowledge. I'll have to respond later but it's safe to say that several years later my perspective has changed. Probably not in the way you will imagine.

18. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious!!! You literally just made me laugh!!! (Thank you for that)

You sold an appreciating asset to buy a deprecating one......and you're just bitter.

Go crawl in a hole an leave this thread alone you hypocrite.

19. Luke Warmwater

BANNED

Oct 17, 2009
    Busy now, we'll talk more later lol. You know you're getting close to truth when people become petulant and angry on a personal level.

20. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    #196 ghibliman, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Who's angry? I'm not :) I have a FGT and I've enjoyed every minute of owning it. However your banter is proving to be baseless, and somewhat monotonous.

Relax Luke......

21. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those were sales prices. You can read can't you?

22. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    BTW those dots don't connect Luke. That car that was shown your picture is not your old car. Richard Brooks verified this. It was purchased from the company that produces GT1 for Matech. I'm still wondering where those cupholders are? The very fact you keep away from the subject tells me you've never owned one.

You can't keep up with your lies can you?

23. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Drama-Chat at its finest. :)

24. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Time to break out the popcorn!