Miami Vice Daytona Replica | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Miami Vice Daytona Replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Yamaric, Jan 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JurrasicNarc

JurrasicNarc Rookie

Jan 24, 2009
    It was a body shell with some suspension. And it wasn't blown up by Ted, he was in an earlier episode. The car was blown up by Jeff Fahey.

2. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
  3. Pritt

Pritt Rookie

Sep 1, 2009
    Switzerland
    #78 Pritt, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
    What do you think of these two stories?
    The one I found at a site which no longer exists. But I made a copy for me:

"The documented “Miami Vice” cars were redone a few years ago with one going to Carl Roberts in Tennessee and the other is owned by Roger Pamperin in Lubbock, Texas. The last time I saw the car it was sitting in the rain behind a garage. I drove back from L.A. the better of the two, and trailered the other one before that to a shop in Lubbock. I don’t know if they could be purchased. Roger would want a lot for the car. It was not very well done actually and the only claim to fame it was used on the show."

The second story you can find here:
    http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0611_miami_vice_ferrari/index.html

Identical stories? Is this the real MV thing?

(Sorry, my english is not the best)

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    looks like Dallenauto has been "had"

I hope his shop didn't pay too much for it. I am assuming there was a premium asked since it was a "actual Vice car".

live and learn...

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wow, that sucks for somebody.

PDG

6. Pritt

Pritt Rookie

Sep 1, 2009
    Switzerland
  7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
  8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    great (but old) link

10. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    There was no real Daytona. On the show Car Chasers on CNBC a few months ago they bought the other car and had the actual person that built the cars on the show to verify that it was the real "fake" that he built for the show. He said there was no real Daytona.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    In the opening shots of the pilot show crockett sat in a real black daytona on the street reading the paper, but correct no real daytonas were used in the show for anything more than that

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Yes. Go w no 2.

13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    how do the mcbernie daytonas relate to miami vice show? mcbernie was based in santa fe springs, ca , not far from where i grew up. i would see the cars in the yard there once in awhile.
    interestingly, a woman in carmel, ca was driving a mcbernie around carmel/pebble beach in the nineties claiming it was real.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    that episode will re-air 1/7 on cnbc, so we can all review it then ;. Internet chatter is less than convinced that this "reality show" has it's facts straight.

The Car Chasers' TV show think they have a 'Vice car! - Ferrari Daytonas Of Miami Vice - The Miami Vice Community

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The Ferrari Daytona on Miami Vice - Cars / Autos - The Miami Vice Community

16. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There was one other episode where a real Daytona was used. I believe the episode name was last Flight or something to that effect. Sonny's female mechanic Tommi was working on his car and in the next stall was a yellow Daytona spider. You can tell it was real by the wind screen curvature and the vent windows. The yellow car did not get driven or moved in this episode.

As to the OP's query, since everything under the body is C3 Corvette, the resto costs will be no where near what a Ferrari resto would cost. Personally, I would make it road worthy and detail it and press on from there.

17. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    The 'Car Chasers' fake was NOT used on Vice.

18. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The car chasers car..what a Crock(ett) of TV show smoke and mirrors.

even without close inspection it's obvious the wheels are not the correct make
    seats wrong style and color
    never looked for the "second brake pedal" installed for action driving
    never showed the engine
    never showed yes/no if the car was an auto trans
    with that huge scrap book of pics he didn't happen to have the vin of the 76 donor vette lying around?
    cant even provide the vin so it can be decoded as a 76' vette?
    left side of the car short, but not short enough so he comes up with a "they could have done this/that" story

Mcburnie's verification basically comes down to the center console and some wood trim of which thousands were sold (trim kits for C3 vettes).

I'm not buying it and doubt many others will either. Personally I'm for Tom McBurine coming out and verifying these cars once and for all, but this was not convincing.

19. Volobrian

Volobrian Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Jurassicnarc please get ahold of me. I have some very interesting news / discovery. Frame # found, not same as dash #. It's a 76 frame and body with a serial # to try and verify.

20. Volobrian

Volobrian Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    After years of research, the Volo Auto Museum Miami Vice Daytona has been verified 100% to be the stunt car (Car #1). The dash VIN was changed at some point in time throwing everyone off. The Dash VIN is for a 1981 Corvette. The frame numbers were located, the numbers were for a 1976 Corvette and were verified against the Universal documents and matched. Furthermore, the data information provided on the body verified it to be a 1976 body (not an 81 like the VIN tag called for) and to have been built in the same time-frame as the frame, proving it is both the original chassis and body. Car #1 has been found and proved un-disputably as authentic.

21. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Yep a real Daytona in that episode. It was "owned" by the criminal defense lawyer character in the episode. The lawyer gave the vice cops evidence on a client. If my memory is correct, he leaves it in the Daytona for Crockett. They show the lawyer driving the Daytona into the repair shop. The lawyer was played by John Heard who was also the corrupt cop on Tony's payroll in the Sopranos.