308 GTBi Value These Days | FerrariChat

308 GTBi Value These Days

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Lot of chatter here among us about the rising prices of 328's and QV's presently and in the near future. The back marker 308's - the 2Vi's 1980-1982 I am sure will climb in value along with the rest but will always lag behind as they always have (we all know their little personal issues; less power, sodium valves, metric wheels, etc.)

But by how much?

This is just my opinion but I dont think it is terribly out of reason for good solid driver quality 328's to routinely average in the 70K neighborhood and QV's in the 50's one day. Maybe more.

Just where do you guys see the 2Vi's at that point? Will they ever see the $40,000 range as a matter of routine or will the hit the ceiling in mid 30's and just stick there?

Will the GTBi - because of the much lower numbers produced - command the higher prices instead of the GTSi's or will the market always favor the open cars?

What prices are the GTBi's seeing now? It appears that people are paying more attention to the closed cars these days... or is that just me?

Thoughts?

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Considering the low production numbers of this model it could be a sleeper.

One of my New Years resolution is I gave up on trying to make sense with prices on all these cars.

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Wise words indeed. Would You believe That there is a 208 GTB, That is the 2-litre 155 hp engine, not a "208 Turbo" for sale in Paris, and, on the ground That only 160 were build, the seller asks...90.000 euros for it?

Rgds

4. RobinD

RobinD Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    Robin Duxbury
    I think they will keep rising and believe condition of the car is as important as open or closed, we went for closed 81 car as just prefer it

Prices here in the UK and already well above $50k for GTBi in any form

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    50K??

How big of a pain is it to buy one in the USA and ship it over? Is it still cost prohibitive? It seems like to go that direction, all you need is to pay a tax, no reason to add any safety features like when bringing one over here from there.

6. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    My guess is that the 2-valve "i" cars will command between $35 - 45k.

Some people jsut seem to believe that 308's must be open. That will probably remain a majority opinion, and the GTB's will not command a premium in the general market. Scarcity alone has never been the sole driving force behind price, or the 80-82 GTBi's would have been among the most expensive all along.

So there's the mitigating circumstance.

On the other hand, Dr. Cosgrove, I do believe that the 2 valve prices are already rising along with the prices of other 308's. On the whole, I think that you're right that they will generally lag behind the carburated and QV cars, although an all-original or very well-restored 308 GTBi will always command a premium price if one can locate the right buyer.

For me, this is all just academic, as I have no intention of letting go of my 1982 308 GTBi. It's not all-original, nor is it fully restored, but it is pretty nearly the way I want it. It's also got over 100k miles and is running strong. Probably not worth as much to anyone else in the world as it is to me, which is just fine.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree with Big Red about trying to predict values. There is a higher mileage GTSi in yellow, just listed at $50k asking by Sports Car Company. I doubt it will bring that, but Jim knows the market so somewhere in the $40k range?

With respect to GTBi or GTSi, I don't think the GTBs are all that scarce till the US-spec QVs and 328s.

Overall it feels to me like the pool of available unmodified carb and QV cars is pretty small. That suggests 2vi cars are going to start to look like relative bargains.

8. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I think the 2V injected cars will lag the QV's and Carb'd cars by 30%. Both GTS and GTB. I realize that all three types are slower than a modern Camry, but still - it's a big dropoff between the carb'd car and QV performance and the "i" cars.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is it likely that the days are forever gone when we could buy a GTSi and a GTBi for $25,000?

10. RobinD

RobinD Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    Robin Duxbury
    No pain at all and that's we did in Nov last year on our Euro spec 81, sale price from Ferrari Washington $28k, $1500 for shipping/insurance and 5% of value in import tax, made it a very cheap car for the UK 😃

11. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No. I think there are always deals to be had out there, if you have the time, patience and contacts to find them. And - if opportunity knocks, answer the door!

When I bought my last 911, I bought it for $7500 (84 911 Targa, 3.2L with 915). I got super lucky. Car needed a lot of work, but it had a fresh transmission rebuild. I've had to do a bunch of work, but it turned out to be a great deal.

I bet you can find a 25K GTSi or GTBi out there. But, those cars will be the exception, not the norm.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I am beginning to regret passing on an 81 GTBi for 25K a while back.

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Oh yeah, those days are long gone. A 2vi GTB below $40k is a steal now.

14. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I feel your pain. I passed on another 84 Euro QV that the owner wanted $25,000 just because I was trying to rationalize owning two of the same cars..Will regret that decision for years.

15. 4zaJim

4zaJim Formula Junior

May 15, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Perhaps underestimating the 2V injected cars? . . . but it doesn't really matter because I'll probably never sell the one I have and the ceiling would only make it easier for me to one day buy another

16. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    I just sold a gtsi this summer for mid 20's. Really nice low miles car didn't leak a drop of oil or smoked. I'm really hating how it's becoming a speculator's market again so quickly. 80's are back.

17. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    " The back marker 308's - the 2Vi's 1980-1982 I am sure will climb in value along with the rest but will always lag behind as they always have (we all know their little personal issues; less power, sodium valves, metric wheels, etc.)"

yea sure.....like carbed cars don't have their little personal issues........lol.

18. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sure - but 255 hp (vs 200) makes up for some of that.

And the sound of the 4 Weber's - goodness.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm sure there's a fair amount of speculator/temporary investor influence on the current market at present, but, I also think that the 308 is a stunningly beautiful design that has become fashionable again. The latter element is irrespective of the engine under the bonnet. I think all of the 308s are becoming more desirable and will continue to rise in value as a group. For those of us who really just love the design but don't yet have a 308, I'm afraid it may very well just become more difficult over the next few years.

Ciao!

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    More like 180 hp

21. Quetzel

Quetzel Karting

Jun 17, 2013
    Sugar Grove, Il
    Full Name:
    James Jenke
    Paid $23.5 for an 82 GTSI last July. Very nice condition. 34k miles. New belts. I put $3k
    into it to replace distributor cap; wires, oil, etc and had a complete going over by a Ferrari guy. Car had been in storage.

No tools.

But still - drove it all Summer and Fall - at $26.5k - with the work mentioned completed.

I showed some pic's last year.

At 65 years old.....seems like you can buy most anything - at most any price ($65k to $20k) on any given day - at some given place.

22. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Ferrari 308 RARE Berlinetta | eBay

low mileage 22K, is this the future of the GTBi or is he just testing the market?
    With 494 of them built between '80 and '82, it is rare..

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    If he gets $109k you can have my one owner 85 GTB QV with 31k miles for $150k. :)

24. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo

I personally feel a Carb version will outshine the QVs in pricing in years to come especially when it gets its classic status ( no fuel injection).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    IDK, a few years back, I thought $ 85,000.00 was a lot of money for a 246 dino?

I guess time will tell.