Looking for a good 328 under $30k. Possible? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking for a good 328 under $30k. Possible?

Discussion in '308/328' started by kidryno, Dec 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    No problem.
    Use a time machine and travel back 2 years.

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think 50-60 is more like the number for a nice one
    Ask me how I know

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    This right here^^
    We're all here to cheer you on , But I still remember absolutely needing to buy an abused Porsche Turbo when I was 19 and at the very limit of my financial budget that gave me a financial Ass Beating that took me two years to recover from and soured me on the marquis for over three years to the point where if I saw a 911 coming down the road I would turn my head and look away. LOL! Don't want this to be your experience with your first Ferrari. Might I suggest a rust free 81/82 308 for a few years?

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Some key points based on your request:

A "good" 328
    • looking to find a quality example for around $30k
    • okay with some minor repairs and cosmetic work
    • no major mechanical issues

I was looking for the same awhile back (2005 - 2009) and all the cars that fit this description were priced at $37K and over. The same cars, as described, are now at $45k and up.

Unless, of course, you're in the business (wholesaler/auction, estate sales, etc.) or extremely lucky.

5. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Why Don't you Set your sights at 50K and get a Good car that needs no work, just off a major service with new timing belts and everything works...You'll Enjoy it a Heck of a lot more than the 20K you are trying to save.....You can Ride the appreciation curve up, who knows where it will go, At worst, you can get most of your money back, even if you spend 50K.

I just got a 430, I have a Red/tan 328 that is like described above, I may go 50K for a quick deal.....but I'd like to get 54K....I can wait longer also and see if prices go up more. I just don't know how long I want to take care of Two Ferrari's :D

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good advice. And if you're lucky, the "driver level" 2-valve might be worth a bit more in a few years, and you might decide to keep it.

A $30k 328 is going to be a tired old car. Good ones seem to at least twice that right now, and it's getting into winter which typically isn't the best time for sellers. I suspect prices will be up a bit in the spring.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If the OP can swing $50k, he should consider this. Two late QVs just sold above $60k (one of them to me; one locally in Denver before the dealer could take photos.)

It's pretty unlikely at this point to find a $30k 328 that isn't going to need a significant cash infusion.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I agree with most of the posters re the likelihood of finding one in the 30's that will meet your expectations. But hey, anything is possible - the last two 328's posted on Ebay did not get out of the 40's USD as far as bids and they both looked decent to me and one of them was RED! So who knows what careful and persistent looking may find...

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The better idea may be to get a decent driver mondial. That budget will still limit your choices but I've always dug the look of the coupe

10. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Do you have a link to the 328 with a new engine, we could better evaluate it for you if we knew more about it.

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    It's almost always cheaper to buy a car with the work done than to pay for it after you buy the car.
    That being said, if you like doing the work yourself and want to know that it's been done right, a fixer upper can be the way to go.

12. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I disagree. Don't get almost the car you want. You should get a Mondial only if you want a Mondial. Don't waste your time and money feeding a car you don't want.

If you can't afford a 328 then save your pennies until you can. That's what you really want.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    A lot of guys here don't understand what the OP is looking for. First he's looking for 30K because that is probably the budget he has to spend, not 50K. He want a 328 and he found one. For sure it's not a prime exemple at this price.

He probably want to fullfil a dream.

From what he said the car has maintnance records. And a new engine.

Here is MY opinion.
    -Does the car look good to you?
    -Are the paint and interior presentable for what you're looking for.
    -Do you think you'd be proud to own this exact car?
    -Can the car be road tested?
    -Do you like how the car drive?
    -Do you hear or feel anything wrong with it?
    -Do you see any major leak Under the car?
    -Try all the electrical option and A/C

If everything fits the bill for you and what you're expecting from a low budget car go ahead and BUY IT!

ANY 328 you will find that is not a prime exemple WILL NEED work. And the top notch cars are now near 100K.

You won't find another soon in that price range and another will buy it and you will regret.
    Everything sells if you ever regret, but ask more for the car to be able to negotiate down a lot and the buyer will be happy to go with it at a bargain price.

Post pics if you can.

BTW, that's how I got in the Ferrari world. Not enough money to buy a nice one so I bought a project. NEVER regretted it and I still own the car after 15 years.

14. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    But get a PPI first to minimize your surprises.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    IF the replacement engine is the REASON the car is priced low, then it's totally a non-issue as far as owning/driving the car is concerned - assuming everything else checks out OK.

I totally agree with the advice to NOT buy a car that you don't really want. You will regret it later and constantly feel that you settled for something just to have a car with "Ferrrari" on the label.

16. Conchyjodyoos

Conchyjodyoos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2013
    FL450
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My $.02 I looked at several cars that were not quite what I wanted, either wrong color combination and/or beater requiring lots of work and everyone here can attest there is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. I finally found the exact car I wanted and bought it, yes it was a few more bucks than I wanted to spend but you want the car that gives you a warm fuzzy each time the garage door is raised. Take your time, save a few more $$ and get the car you want.

17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #42 308 milano, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

18. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I gotta go with the guys here who say provide a link, even by pm, to a disinterested person (esp. If you think someone might buy it from under you) and let them evaluate the car.

PDG

19. Yo328

Yo328 Karting

Jul 26, 2014
    Brentwood CA
    Full Name:
    Yoram Limor
    I ended up spending a little more than I wanted but bought a recently serviced 25k red/tan car for $57K. Everything else I looked at was in the $40k's and after the work they needed I felt I would be in deeper than $57k and have a much higher mile car. I don't regret the extra upfront investment one bit. Best of luck.

20. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you all for the input.... 30k is not the top line budget but rather what I was hoping to spend knowing I would still have to put in some cash over time. I was just wondering if $30k would get me a solid car that I could then do some minor work on the mechanics and cosmetics. If anyone has a lead on a nice 328 gts in or around Atlanta, please drop me a line.

21. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    find the best you can and get into the market for $30k, then sit on it and fix it as you can afford it. in another year you will be laughing as your $30k will be $50k and you can always unload it to someone else who said I should have got it last year when it was $30k.
    I wish I could pick up another 246 for under $30k, at the time when no one would buy it for $18k.

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Exactly my thinking. If I was close I'd have a look at it and would probably make money on it.

23. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    What do you mean a new crate engine? Is it s Ferrari engine? When was this engine installed and why? Do you get the old engine? Miles on car?

24. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Get the mileage crap out of your head first.

It's all about age now. And condition. A low mile car can need a **** ton of work and cost you much more than one that was driven regularly. One that has sat for years will need major work.

My car sat for 8 years, I still have things to fix on this thing. I have had it 6 years! The headliner leading that list!

If you do your own work it's fine lots of us DIY but the parts are expensive that's all I'll say.

Watch out for cars to pop up in the usual places these things show up at.

eBay, craigslist, auto trader, Hemings. They are out there but most of the ones with issues tend to be parted out.

Check copart.com and Iaai.com

Auto salvage auctions.

25. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Well, I may dig the lines on the mondial but even if you did get a little better example with $30k you better make sure it is what you want because it will need fixes and they are $$$