Lost 1961 250 GT, Vin 1831, engine 1831 | FerrariChat

Lost 1961 250 GT, Vin 1831, engine 1831

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by leefchambers, Apr 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leefchambers

leefchambers Rookie

Apr 7, 2011
    I bought a Ferrari from a mechanic in Modena, Italy in 1970 while I was stationed in Germany. I drove it for about a year and then shipped it home to my folks in Salem, Oregon while I took my discharge in Europe and spent the next year traveling in a VW camper. About halfway thru my travels, I decided I would need the money and asked my dad to sell the Ferrari. He did, to a dentist in Lake Oswego, Oregon, and from there I have learned it was traded to a Realtor in Portland; then I lost track, sometime in 1978. If anyone know who has this car, I'd be pleased to fill in some history and provide some pictures. Thanks,

[email protected]

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I have nothing on this car, but I sure would love to see some pictures if you have any!

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome pardner!

This website will find it......

It's now worth a zillion dollars!!!

4. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    1831 GT 27 Feb 1960 Body No. 29457 19 Apr 1960
    Destination Malago - Sodeni. Exterior paint color blu sera MM 16439. Interior vinyl and leather naturale 3218.

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Does anyone have any information on this car ? 1961 series 2 ....Trying to discover early history, original colour and country of original sale.........Nothing on Darren's site nor Barchetta.......Many thanks Paul

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    1831 GT
    PF Body Number: 29457
    Entered PF: 27 Feb 1960
    Completed: 19 Apr 1960
    Destination: Italy - Sodeni
    First Owner: Malago
    Exterior: Blu Sera MM 16439
    Interior: vinyl and leather Naturale 3218

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Malagò was not the first owner of 1831 GT but the dealer in Rome.
    The name of the first owner is Filippo Palma and he was resident in Civitavecchia, Italy.
    Car is currently for sale by Foskers of Brands Hatch, UK.

Marcel Massini

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thank you....Much appreciated. The car remains in a very similar colour and interior. Modern restoration so colours not exact

9. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #9 PAUL BABER, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
    Thanks Marcel..........at the moment.......

10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    marcel, you are amazing!
    ed

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks for the correction. I should change that heading in my notes.

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    What is Foskers asking for it?

Thanks,

Geno

13. bluev12

bluev12 Rookie

Nov 3, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    £325,000 which is $496,000 - plus it apparently would benefit from a respray (currently in a Rolls Royce color).

There's also a Series 1 in a similar color in Germany at Eberlein Ferrari for Euro390,000 or $506,000.

14. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    This 250 GT PF Coupe is now at Foskers in the UK, undergoing a nut-and-bolt restoration to concours standards.

I've sent the OP an email to the address listed - hope he's still using it!

15. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Four hours to find it !

I love this site !

16. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Plus the other 3.5 years :D

17. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have the delivery/spec info and name/location of first owner, then a gap until ownership from 1975. So I'm hoping that the OP (guessing that username refers to a 'Lee Chambers') can fill in some of that gap.

18. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Well spotted

Clearly a senile moment on my behalf

19. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #19 torquespeak, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
  21. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Thank you for highlighting

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Threads merged.

23. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The following is mostly copied from our website, where you will also find a work-in-progress gallery of photos on the restoration. Foskers is currently in the process of a comprehensive nut-and-bolt restoration to concours standard of 1831 GT, and with the help of Lee Chambers (OP of this thread) we have been able to start compiling the history of this car.

Here's a little summary of 1831 GT's life so far...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1831 GT is a left-hand-drive 250 PF Coupe Series II – the later four-wheel disc brake, outside-plug 128F engine model. The car, originally specified in Blu Sera paint, was delivered to its first owner in Italy by the summer of 1960, and remained in the country for the next decade.

In June 1970, a US officer, Mr Chambers, who was stationed in Germany was told about the Ferrari by a colleague. He said that the Ferrari was at a small workshop in Modena, held on a mechanic’s lien by the garage owner. Mr Chambers called and made an appointment to view the car, then drove down to Italy soon after.

Later that afternoon, a deal was struck to buy the dark blue car and have the remaining work done to get it in good running condition. A month after this, Mr Chambers returned to Italy to pay the agreed price of $2332 and to drive it back to Germany that evening.

Mr Chambers kept and drove the Ferrari in Germany for the next nine months, before it was shipped back to his family home in Oregon in March 1971. It was subsequently sold to help pay for a lengthy European road trip. 1831 GT passed through two subsequent owners in Oregon before ending up in the care of Mr Edgar of Portland in 1973. When purchased, the car was in need of restoration, and was painted orange. Mr Edgar, with the help of his brother and father, repainted it in Rosso Chiaro, then dyed the tan leather hide black.

In 1993, the Ferrari project was finally completed, with a freshly rebuilt engine, new exhaust, replacement fuel tank and overhauled brakes. In 1996, Mr Edgar spotted a Peugeot 405 Mi16 BTCC car for sale in a British motorsport magazine, and worked out a deal with the Peugeot’s owner - racing driver Mr Hamish Irvine - to do a straight swap for the Ferrari. The cars were then agreed to be worth around $30,000 each.

The car was shipped to Midlothian, Scotland in 1997, and was kept by Mr Irvine - unregistered in the UK - until 2005, when he sold it on to a Mr McLeod of Glasgow. By this point, the odometer recorded just 31000 km (19000 miles) from new. During Mr Irvine’s ownership, the car had been retrimmed in the original tan, but remained in Rosso Chiaro. Within months, Mr McLeod had repainted the car back to its original dark blue, and over the next eight years he barely drove the car, adding only a hundred kilometres to the total.

Foskers acquired the car in 2013, and embarked upon the no-expense-spared restoration last year. A full bare-metal body restoration was completed in 2014, which showed the car to be in outstanding condition. This 250 PF retains all of the original factory seam welds and all original, rust-free, accident-free panel work. This process was followed by a complete repaint in metallic blue (Tour de France code 522), with the wonderful interior restored in tan leather.

We are now carefully restoring all of the mechanical components to the highest standards and re-assembling the car ready for concours competitions this year.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My thanks again go to Lee who has been invaluable in piecing together parts of the history from 1970 to the mid-1990s.

24. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I shall look forward to seeing the progress on the car!!!

PDG

25. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #25 torquespeak, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Photos of 1831 from the early 1970s - posted with the full permission of copyright holder Lee Chambers, to whom I am so grateful.

Captions (in order):

- Outside the US Army barracks in Budingen, Germany; March 1971
    - At the Chambers family home in Salem, Oregon (US) with other 'rolling stock'; July 1971
    - In a garage in Budingen, Germany getting a new alternator fitted
    - In Vonhousen, Germany, below Lee's apartment; February 1971
    Image Unavailable, Please Login