black hardware plating for mid 50's ferrari | FerrariChat

black hardware plating for mid 50's ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Dec 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i have used black zinc before in some restorations but have also seen folks using black oxide.

All the rear suspension bolts on the 58 ellena look to be black something?

What is the recommended plating for the mid 50's ferrari cars?

Anything special i need to ask for related to the plating - i have read about hot and cold process as well.

Appreciate the advise....

2. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Black oxide provides minimal protection against corrosion, is only a tollerance issue coating and needs oil to act as the true protector as the material is pourous. Never have I seen it used on a 50's Ferrari car, and can not understand why Ferrari would choose anything other than paint in the 1950's, Paint being much more corroision protective. The material coating converts the surface of iron to another material called FE304, or Magnetite. In general it was not used by bestoke car manufactures in the 1950's, but possiby on fasteners by the fastener suppliers.

3. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Disagree with view that black oxide was never used by Ferrari the 1950s. Black oxide is yes used on numerous hardware items on Ferraris of the 1950s and 1960s. LOBO fasteners (nuts, bolts), studs, washers, yes. Throttle linkage assemblies a good example, the center generator drive, hubs, miscellaneous machined steel parts, some Weber hardware, etc. etc. Yes, oil is needed for full protection. It is surprisingly durable if maintained (and old Ferraris leak plenty of oil so it's automatic!). Hot process is far superior to cold. Best result and longevity with meticulous preparation like 100% glass bead blasting. Paint is completely impractical on close fitting machined components. Zinc relatively useless as a plating in my opinion. It sacrifices quickly with any lengthy exposure to poor conditions.

4. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Relative to my previous post, I mean that paint is impractical on small machined hardware items. Of course, Ferrari painted machined castings.

5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    agree with lancia - having done a 66 330 car, I'm seeing a lot of the same hardware underneath the ellena and it was all black XXXX something. Suspension bolts, nuts and washers, rear end tubes and backing plates bolts, shackle bolts nuts, front suspension bolts etc are all black.

Question remains - is it zinc or oxide, which is better to go with for an orig look. Clearly i have NOT found any black phosphate used on the car.

As always - appreciate the advise - looking to do this one time!!

6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    It is NOT zinc in my experience. Black oxide generally correct for black hardware in my opinion on an early car.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The shop that rebuilt my brake booster did the "J" hooks in black zinc to mimic the original black oxide. They are black alright, but I have to admit I don't like the look of them.

john

8. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I prepped and re-did the black oxide finish on hundreds of fasteners on the '55 Mondial. Thorough prep is critical.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Most of the hardware on an Ellena is black oxide. It is not a long lasting process, but Ferrari never meant for the cars to last very long either.