330 GTC MARKET VALUE | Page 8 | FerrariChat

330 GTC MARKET VALUE

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by geno berns, Feb 8, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg

Madness

2. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    That would be $846k US wow the train rolls on!

3. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    #178 intrepidcva11, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I wonder how I missed this thread for 15 months, have tried to read it through to be certain I haven't already posted what I'll write below. First, to expand a bit on Ken's comments, driving a GTC is akin to dancing with an experienced ballet dancer who is also your devoted lover; she is perfectly light on her feet, a delight in your arms, anticipates your next move even before you're aware you're going to make it and never causes you to wonder, am I doing alright. Well, maybe there's a bit of hyperbole there, but not a lot. On the other hand, driving a Daytona at below 75 mph/120 kph is like trying to dance with a 250 pound truck driver; but note that above that speed the Daytona also becomes a serious dancer.

Going back to the Bonhams Scottsdale auction of my old 365GTC special in January 2013 that I think kicked off not only this thread but also the remarkable spike in GTC prices, dragging upwards most of not all of the 1960s road cars. for those who may have missed it, here is the url of the Bonhams auction catalog page for my old car:

Bonhams : 1967 Ferrari 365 GTC Speciale Chassis no. 10581 Engine no. 10581

Their photographer did an awful job; the car's color cannot possibly have deteriorated to that dull drab maroon from the rich deep Bordeaux that Bill deCarr applied to a bare metal body - below, taken when I still had the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    And I have an insight on the 'Barbara Hutton' GTC that also sold at the Jan 2013 Scottsdale auction. I acquired my GTC from Luigi Chinetti in June 1978, garaged it in Greenwich CT since I lived in New York City and drove my DD to Greenwich on weekends to enjoy the GTC. Not more than a year or two after getting the car, I was collecting it from service and saw in Chinetti's service area what must have been that car. I recall it because it was so strangely unique: that salmon-pink paint, tobacco/suede upholstery and carpets and painted on the driver's door a few inches from the sill, a five-point green star that the service manager said resulted from the fact that the car's first owner was Hassan II, the King of Morocco.

5. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Seth: I like your analysis between a 330 GTC and Daytona.

GTC is so easy to drive with great visibility out the back.

Daytona is fast (but not compared to today's cars) but a real
    bear to drive under 50 MPH

Ken Goldman

6. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
  7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    There are two 365GTCs available at Fantasy Junction. Not an advert -

8. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
  9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    ERA likes this.
  10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow. Just wow. When the party starts on BAT, folks can sure party hardy. I guessed $250k. Man, I was wrong.

Oengus likes this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Hasn't it been common in the vintage Ferrari and Porsche world that barn finds often go for as much as a fully restored car? That certainly used to be the case.

Don't ask me to explain why, I can't.

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’m guessing you can pour $250k into this car in a heartbeat. You can find less expensive already restored cars in the FML. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Oengus likes this.
  14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    And add 3 years of effort at less than $0/hour.

While it makes no sense to us here how many 330 GTCs have been offered on BAT? Honest question since I don't go there often. But maybe it's just another buyer that doesn't know what he is getting into.

That's the only explanation I can come up with.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... but keep in mind that there are "restored cars" and then there are "restored cars".
    Beyond having been performed(?) on same make* & model**, one may not have much or hardly anything in common with the other, especially when it comes to depth and quality of that claimed, pesky little word, "restoration".
    Difference in interpretation can easily cost/be worth hundreds of thousands.
    Very simple and easy to figure once one understands what they're looking at. Many buyers often don't as has been proven by millions of examples out there (& here ?) already and more being created daily.

*/** Regardless what they may be.

readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yup., but here's one of the cars in the FML,

330 GTC, S/N 10639 (1967). Red with black interior. Factory air conditioning. Purchased new by Aristotle Onassis, who specified the distinctive Rosso Cina livery and an array of bespoke features including a leather-clad padded dash, leather-wrapped steering wheel, stainless steel rocker panels, and a special front-bumper section protecting the grille. Recently discovered after nearly three decades in storage, is running although further mechanical attention may be required prior to road use. Largely original condition with original matching numbers engine. Massini history report. An original tool kit and jack. $595,000. 4514 Peter Kumar, [email protected], 800-452-9910 (NY)

Not hard to find. I just wonder at the gunpowder that gets spent on BAT. It reminds me of the early days of eBay and drunken buyers.

TTR likes this.
  17. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Classic description...."running although further mechanical attention may be required prior to road use". No need to comment on that statement. The good cars are out there. You just have to take your time and find them.

readplays, Texas Forever and TTR like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, but, Jackie O sat in the car!

SCantera and Oengus like this.
  19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There are very very good cars out ther in the 500-550k range....ask me how I know.
    I bid the bat car up to 285k....I figured 200-225 to make thing right.

I didn’t want to be without a car I just purchased for 2+ yrs........so I bought a good 330 at a good price. Ready to drive, ready to enjoy, minimal headaches.
    Details to follow.

20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I rest my case...
    ... or Dale, which end of the spectrum between “restored car” and “restored car” would you consider this to be ? Remember, the difference can (easily) be significant amount in $$$s.

Besides, as I’ve said before, (at least) I’ve never taken any abnormal, unexpected or unusual auction result without some sense of skepticism for it being legit or real until proven otherwise (which doesn’t seem to happen very often). Too many potential unknowns and lack of transparency.

SCantera and Texas Forever like this.
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I haven’t a clue. However, I would never buy a Ferrari at an auction unless I had extensive prior knowledge of the car. I might buy a Miata, but not a Ferrari.

enio45 likes this.
  22. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The BaT car has two paths forward. First one is to get it running, and drive it. The cosmetics are fine, really. Even if you have to rebuild the motor, that's not all that bad, unless you have to have a name brand rebuilder. And sure, there will be various other mechanical stuff-- brakes, gas tank, hoses, etc but unless the motor is really messed up, that shouldn't be too bad. And honestly, there is a pretty good chance you don't even have to rebuild the motor.

But... someone buying a car for half a million bucks doesn't want it to look like a ratty old used car just purchased from Honest Al's...

So, that opens door 2. Take it all the way down, and bring it all the way back to new, just the way you want it. I would guess that's what is going to happen here.

23. GLENN@TEAM AI

GLENN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Jun 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I will second what Chas said -- I sold a good driver this spring in that same range.

JimEakin, Oengus and Texas Forever like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo

So, what was the point of reference for this then ? :confused:
    Just curious (but only mildly).

25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You're right. Bad example. I can offer up my old car. Sold it in 3- condition in 2008. Talked to the second buyer in 2018 and confirmed there is about $500k put into the car. Pay for the restoration and get the car for free.

Oengus likes this.