Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ?? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Who Knows which California Spyder was owned by Alain Delon ??

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Impuls2000, Nov 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A nice writeup on the Baillon collection - how it came to be and how it came to be "lost". This repeats some of what is known and is written in French so you may need to translate it as I did.

Collection Roger Baillon | l'automobile ancienne

>8^)
    ER

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Translation errors are always possible, always, no doubt...you may have words for which the translation in another langage might be exact, but the meaning different, or sometimes even opposite: the french "libéral" and the american english "liberal", when used in politics are one of the best known example.
    But not here, especially between Italian and French which are closely related
    (although with a lot of "false friends" like "primavera" in Italian, which doesn't mean "primevère" in French (a flower), but "printemps" (= spring); but that's not the subject here)

The italian "Lusso" translate in "Luxe" in french, or "luxury" in English; but was very probably employed in Ferrari's italian in a generic meaning of "high styling finish", not as a name for a car.

As for books: the 1977 edition of Pouret's doesn't mention 2935GT, BUT the 1983 does.
    The Raab files were amended in 2001 to include 2935GT (see Matthias Urban's post in this very thread, post n°60)

Finally, it seems that some "respected trainspotters" are taking notice of the car as being 2935GT

250 GT s/n 2935GT

As for myself, I am still waiting for a picture of the plate (like the one for the "Daytona" found in Canada, in another thread, which has the plate of the car well shown...)

Rgds

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It also confirms what all french enthusiasts were guessing, that the collection was known but not in details, and that it will be dispersed also for a question of inheritance, and associated taxes...

Rgds

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In Nerofer's letter )post #95--(posting number is in upper right of each individual posting) he says " There are still a few number of living people who well remember this blue California with exhaust snaps, first with Gérard Blain, then with Alain Delon, then for sale in the “Maison de la Radio” surrounds in Paris, and then owned by Paul Bouvot (Note that it was the first California that Paul Bouvot owned as, to complicate things further, he then owned #2175 in partnership with Jess Pouret, before ceding his shares to Jess Pouret) . The trouble was that after Paul Bouvot in 1966, it was known indeed that the car was sold to a Canadian gentleman living in Paris, but the track stopped here…"

Is Bouvet listed anywhere as the owner between Blaine and Delon?
    When I Googled his name, oddly a Paul Russell website (Russell a restorer) comes up showing a fly yellow swb California spyder but then the name Paul Bouvet doesn't appear in their story. That was chassis 2163GT.

(The problem in following this story is that there are WAAAY too many swb California spyders...)

Who is the Canadian gentleman referred to? Maybe the Canadian forumites can confirm or deny a swb California spyder was ever imported there from France during this time period?

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As I understand, the Canadian gentleman never imported the car in Canada: he sold it again in France. 2935gt never left France, it has a continuous road registration here.
    Rgds

6. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I know this is supposed to be a serious thread, but this is the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time.

8. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    +1

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #110 bitzman, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    Above, some forum poster says "As for books: the 1977 edition of Pouret's doesn't mention 2935GT, BUT the 1983 does.
    The Raab files were amended in 2001 to include 2935GT (see Matthias Urban's post in this very thread, post n°60)"

I am not very good at math but , if 1983 was the first year Pouret confirmed that a California Spyder was built with that SN then the barn finders had a good 30 years since then to find it, before the auction company became aware of it

You would think that when Raab seconded the motion that such a car existed in 2001 that the previously dubious barn finders --now with two experts saying there was such a car--would have gotten "off the dime" as we say in America.

Methinks life was too good for the barn-finders for them to get out to the hinterlands and actually get some horse and cow poo on their boots looking for cars like I've done....

10. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  11. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #112 bitzman, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    There is some funny lines over there,,worth going over there.
    As regards the two" clean"cars being in one place that is better protected and others shabby I agree there seems to be some "staging" but then the owner might have liked those two the most and made a feeble effort to protect the ones he liked most. We will never know what the scene looked like when the auction company first happened onto the scene, it's like letting reporters go into a crime scene first before the police get there and moving things around to make a better story.

And , reallyt, these Frenchmen really have no imagination. if I was staging the scene, I would have left an old trenchcoat of Delon,s, maybe some beret carrying the regimental insignia from his time in Indochina,or a Borsolino hat straight from the movie wardrobe dept., maybe some driving gloves left over from his runs at 24 heures du mans, plus,in the True Romance dept., an old wallet photo of one of Delon's hottest dames on the console, maybe with a little lipstick on it, and a half burned cigarette and a forged-but-tear-jerking love letter and maybe some music piped into the barn , perhaps Claude François' "Comme d'habitude" (french original song that inspired "My Way" ) or
    Charles Aznavour = "Hier encore j'avais 20 ans" .
    Don't forget these are the same auction people who sold a previous Delon Ferrari for a bunch more than it was worth by dangling the carrot of a signed Owner's Manual with a hand written message for the buyer from Delon himself.
    And,hey, how about a case of Alain Delon cologone? I thought the French were supposed to be the Kings of Romance?

12. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Great fantasy tale!

13. Tom Roland

Tom Roland Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    ... and certainly vast ignorance.

14. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #115 torquespeak, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ....photos of the engine(s)?

Has anybody noticed photos that shows the engine of the Ferrari and Maserati with their correct no.s?

I wonder why ARTCURIAL does not show them so far as the correct engine is very significant for the value of each of both cars......

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    #117 gt4me, Dec 22, 2014
  17. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Great! I also received photos from ARTCURIAL confrming the matching-no.`s of the Maserati!

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Walter--this proves you are a VIP--While it caused consternation on FC, someone suggested earlier they didn't need to show the SN of the two most important cars if they already had them in hand, because they already had customers who they could impart these proofs ,making them feel very special indeed, Now the next question is--will Delon show up to hype it like he did when the same firm sold his Testarossa? On that car he still owned it. Maybe he is open to "appearance" money and it would hype his cologne...I wonder why he didn't tell earlier Ferrari hunters who he had sold it to--maybe he had promised the old man he wouldn't and was merely keeping his promise...

I think the appearance of a famous owner makes the buying experience at an auction more memorable...

19. Pekka Perkeles

Feb 11, 2004
    Furthermore, will it (the auction) be done using french as a language?

Now that would be something.

20. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    #121 MikeRSR, Dec 29, 2014
  21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    There is a new movie about a reporter who, often arriving at the crime scene before the police, has the cheek to re-arrange the bodies and so forth to make for a better picture. It also shows me why Tom Cotter and other writers so eager to find pictures that show exactly how a car looked when found is a useless enterprise, because sometimes it is completely buried under a hoarder's debris and does not make a good photo ( I know, I've found them) . So you move this and you move that, and pretty soon the picture you take does not represent anywhere close to "as found." I think the real "academy award" of barn finders should go to those who recognized a classic car under a car cover and guessed right...

By the way an better example of staging in the Ferrari world is the barchetta found in Arizona awhile back where the car didn't have that much debris on it in the garage when Elliott Grossman found it but after the dealership bought it, it was trailered out to the desert where a world class photographer showed the dusty car seemingly abandoned, just to fuel the fantasy that one could find such a treasure abandoned outdoors..,it made the cover of CAVALLINO

22. NCB

NCB Rookie

Mar 21, 2011
  23. Fiorano78

Fiorano78 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2011
    Aix-en-Provence FRA
    Full Name:
    Lamine
    #124 Fiorano78, Jan 6, 2015
  24. Fiorano78