VECTOR cars! | Page 29 | FerrariChat

VECTOR cars!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by philt68, Aug 31, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    He was storing it at Dave Kostka's shop, and there was talk of Kostka potentially buying the car, but I don't know if that ever happened.

2. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Dejoria is one of the very few remaining W8 first owners.
    I am not so sure he would ever sell the VECTOR.

In this clip he says that chassis 013 is his lucky number:
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUz6uD747vc[/ame]

3. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Even the bare frame looks great!

4. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Holy hell! That is awesome! I was lucky enough to see that same chassis when I visited his shop.

Chris

5. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    #706 vectorfiles, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
  7. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    Hey Vector guys.

Check out my ad in Collectables for sale - 1 vintage Vector sales brochure plus one page insert. Pm me if your interested. Best offer

8. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    any direct link?

9. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
  10. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
  11. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    My Vector documentary just hit 100,000 views!

My delivery of commentary was a bit overdone, but still came out well.

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XgJYS0KsU[/ame]

12. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just my thoughts, but some problems with Vector were that he initially priced the cars too low & lost money. This was later adjusted to the $448 figure. Vector was finally building cars & had orders lined up. Then there was conflict with Jerry & the board. Jerry wanted to take the car upmarket with the Avtech being a $700k+ car, while others wanted a cheaper car. The Megatech investment was to be used to expand production facilities but was used as a hostile takeover. Then they built their cheaper car (the M12). People cancelled their orders & the company went under.
    Hard to say if Vector would have been successful building the Avtech, as other cars like the F1 didn't sell as well as had been hoped for, although I don't think Vector ever intended to sell 300 cars.
    Another issue is that after years of hearing outrageous top speed claims, the cars have never been officially verified, which tarnished its reputation...

13. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
  14. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes, Jerry is back at it, although I feel he faces the same funding challenges as before, in addition to Vector's poor reputation as a company (deserved or not). Nothing new has been reported for the last several years. I might add that although his claims are outrageous, there are cars doing what he intended (Koenigsegg)
    Vector Avtech WX-8 HPV - Auto Shows - Car and Driver

15. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Some additional thoughts on negative views towards Vectors, is that the 3 spd auto wasn't very accepted, as most performance cars had 5 or 6 spd manuals. Nowadays the auto might be better received with more ratios. Also, its been reported as having a Corvette 350 engine, which is false. They do not share any components at all.
    There was also an instance published where the W2 had a transmission failure & another where it overheated. Then there's the Agassi car.
    I think the long gestation period before producing cars is a big factor.
    I'm not sure how much these affected Vector at the time, as imo they were finally producing cars & had orders coming in when Megatech entered the picture.

16. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That statement is not entirely accurate as the W8 does, in fact, use the same Tuned Port Fuel Injection components which are found on a Corvette/Camaro/Firebird.

17. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I could be wrong, but I believe the Vectors used larger runners etc. & are not the same parts... ?

18. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I think it's important to remember too, that the W8 first went into production in the early 90s, which was not a good time for supercars. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it would have done better if it went into production in the mid 80s.

Chris

19. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Yes, '89, but I don't think the problem was selling cars...I think it was more an issue of funding & building them.

20. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    #722 vectorfiles, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    The Vector W8 actually celebrates its 25th birthday this year. First customer chassis was delivered in 1990.
    That was right at the beginning of the economic crisis.
    A launch in the mid ´80s would most likely have resulted in a larger success for VECTOR as well as for many other supercar builders.
    Quite a few cars were launched at least 2-3 years late back then: XJ220, Mercedes S-class W140 among others.
    After 1991 money was tight.
    So sales did not meet expectations.

That economic crisis also hit ISDERA cars who did not quite make it to pass the US crash test regulalations. Isdera ran out of funds in 1993, just like VECTOR Aeromotive.
    The same goes for the Bugatti 110EB which never got the NHTSA approval and thus failed to conquer the important US market.
    So the hyper modern Campogalliano Bugatti factory closed doors before the launch of the EB112.
    And when was the final Cizeta built?
    Many other supercar projects in the line back then were even dropped: Yamaha, Spiess TC522, Lotec Sirius and quite a few more.

Had they all begun production 5 years earlier they would have hit the peak of the 80´s booming market.

21. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There were definitely more small, ambitious builders back in the '80's!

22. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    1994 (early) for Cizeta.

Missing in your list is the McLaren F1 ;)

23. vectorfiles

Mar 15, 2004
    Thanks, Brian. I was thinknig whether I should add the F1 to the list. Eventually they did not build the number of cars that was intended, but yet they built quite a few dozen, took part in professional GT racing, even won a few titles. Therefore I would not necessarily add the McLaren F1 to the list of unsuccessful supercar ventures.

Compared to the number of cars built by Spyker, Pagani or Koenigsegg today, McLaren was very successful.