Ulf Norinder 3445 250GTO--was it ever just an old used car , before Norinder rebody | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ulf Norinder 3445 250GTO--was it ever just an old used car , before Norinder rebody

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bitzman, Nov 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    2423GT (a 250 GTE).

2. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    For me it does, by combining original nose configuration to a later paint work. Trying to go back to a certain moment in time is one approach, but it doesn't always work very well...

4. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Well, interesting. Do you have any samples, were a correct going back to a certain moment did'n work well? I rather feel that any mix according to personal taste of period configurations is historically wrong and just produces a mess. Original, "delivery" nose and later paint work never existed in that combination.

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    The Drogo body was more original than the replica body.

6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #31 Terra, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    This is fast degrading/devolving into Theater of the Absurd ...

7. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    In the immortal, actual words written by the hand of Shakespear, "this internet forum doth protest too much"...

Okay, those weren't his exact words but that point is valid: By suggesting that altering a replacement body for a replacement body for a 50-year-lost original is "lost history", it raises the question of what *real* historical value these things represent at all. After all, Joseph Salk didn't cure polio while driving 3445, nor did Pete Higgs propose Higgs bosum while racing 3445 (but wouldn't that be awesome?).

IMHO, it's simply a very subtle repair to a valuable race car (that won exactly no major world competitions but which as been crashed repeatedly) reflecting the original, replacement and period looks of its past. If this is a "mess" then perhaps we should all protest every single GTO ever repaired to look anything remotely different to Scaglietti's originals... Or, just enjoy these for what they are -- beautiful old machines, preserved and repaired as best as the various owners and caretakers through time know how.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    +1

For me when it comes to color, an owner of any given car is free to choose to repaint it any color he/she so fancies. Doing so is strictly a matter of personal taste, and in no way reflects sinful behavior.

9. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    #34 kare, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    It does now and has now become a part of this car's history.

In many cases going back to a certain point of time would require removal of historical layers and period features. I could give a few good examples, but don't particularly like to mock other people's cars. In architecture it is a standard approach to accept the fact that a building combines parts and layers from all the periods it lived through. Going back to a certain point in time would often be equivalent "restoring to death". Cars aren't really very different.

In the case of 3445 I think it is nice to remind people of the fact that this is such an early GTO that it did born with the early nose, and on the other hand of the fact that this is the car Norinder raced using the Swedish colors. No mess in that, both details belong to the history of this particular car.

10. mdsaxon

mdsaxon Karting

Sep 18, 2006
    S.W. Florida
    +100

11. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    I see the point but I don’t feel that “new history” should be produced. Manipulations on Mona Lisa’s smile according to the restorers’ fantasy just produced a mess and some irreversible damage over the centuries. The same with buildings. I rather feel, that the car and its period history is relevant and should be focused and not the taste and style of the restorer or a new creation. Fact is, that the car never existed in such a form and this combination is not part of its period history. Today, neither the early nose nor Norinder’s racing version are correctly shown with this combination.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well it's a good thing you didn't pay for the restoration then. The car never existed in any of its prior forms before it was modified, either. It was only original once, and based on period photos, by the time it entered it's second race the nose had already been modified. Why you're concerned with a (factory original) nose modification to a car that was rebodied twice previously is beyond me. It's as correct as it has been at any point since it left the factory, at least. Paint is a lot easier than metal work, so if you buy it you can have it painted it's original color at a mere tiny fraction of the purchase price and have a factory correct nose and matching paint job if you so desire.

13. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    As I've previously posted, it seems Ferrari has put their Seal of Approval on a recent collaborative project with their Licensing Partners Lego and Shell involving this car (i.e. Shell V-Power Lego Collection). Ergo, it would seem Ferrari itself is more than okay with the mixing (combination) of 3445 GT's first nose configuration with its later Swedish livery, etc.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/462077-250-gto-3445-gt-lego-shell-advertising-campaign.html

14. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Absolutely agree Terra.....

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    very exaggerated GTO style but without finesse, It was gray. It was at a shop on some North-South running street a few blocks below Hollywood Blvd. on the West side of the street. I didn't go close because the shop had a mean dog and I am allergic to canine incisors
    The car looked like this. I thought it was the former Ulf car but maybe it was some other 250GT

https://www.flickr.com/photos/parkstreetparrot/6511980437/

16. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/10375-250-swb-2735gt.html

17. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Fully agree.

Owners can do as they please. But that doesn't exempt them from criticism. And I bet the owner would be the first to admit this nose/livery combination is not correct. If he doesn't, well...everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts. The facts are clear.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Well said Peter.

Onno

19. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden