Ferrari 360 or Boxster GTS | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 or Boxster GTS

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GioBanks25, Nov 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GioBanks25

GioBanks25 Rookie

Nov 27, 2014
    Cary
    Full Name:
    Gio
    Hey I'm new to Ferrari chat I'm from NC and I love cars with a passion and I'm intrested into getting into more car clubs as well. I have a big intrest in the Ferrari 360 and wanna know what all the bad things to think about with ownership and reliability. I lice the new boxster gts and wanna know which would you think is a better move being around same price. I also heard if you don't track 360 you can do 4/5 treats before belt service?

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    WTF? Is the OP saying?

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The Ferrari is fully depreciated. Boxster will drop 50% in value in the next 5 years.

Boxster doesn't need any maintenance. 360 needs belts every 3-5 years. Boxster has a warranty.. 360 doesn't. Boxster doesn't get a second look. 360 always gets comments and attention.

The only rub with 360 ownership is the $10,000+ perfect storm. Belts go and you get some valve meets piston action. Or, a clutch and headers lets say.. Then you're out 5 figures. Generally reliable cars but not as reliable as a Boxster GTS. Generally you shouldn't have to ask which one to get IMHO. I didn't know WHY I wanted a 360. I just wanted one. I personally am doing the 5 year route on the timing belts. I see no reason to do them every 3 unless I really beat on it at the track every other weekend. My 986 was very nice. It danced around corners and was very refined. Very easy car to drive fast. My new to me 997 is the same way. The 360 is very capable but will bite you if you don't know the car. Its more "nervous" at the upper ranges. Just a quick word of advice not intending any mean-ness.. if doing a $2000-3000 belt job is too much money.. get the Boxster instead. Read the stickies above and go to C+C locally.

4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Boxster gts is very nice. And expensive near $100k.

I would guess the money saved on purchase of 360 could go long way to cover maintenance costs vs warrantied boxster

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Are you asking if service centers give out candy when you take your car in?

I guess that depends on the service center.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #7 PhilNotHill, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    I had a 360 Spider and have a Boxster S.

360 had a Tubi. Sounds much better.
    360 gets much more attention. More exclusive.
    360 is faster, more raw. More passing power.
    Window over beautiful engine.
    Interior roomier, more comfortable.
    Ride smoother, more comfortable.

Boxster S has been maintenance free. Has more storage, more "practical".
    More high tech toys:
    Adaptive lights
    Heated and cooled seats
    Nav
    Bluetooth hands free phone
    Sirius XM radio
    Remote trunk locks
    Manual transmission common
    Memory power seats
    Auto windshield wipers
    Sits higher, more ground clearance
    Rear park assist
    Auto dimming mirrors

If you do not have the passion to own the Ferrari get the Porsche.

The Porsche is fun to drive on twisty mountain roads but the 360 is just a quantum leap higher IMVHO.

7. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    ...what do you plan to do with these cars? If you want a car to drive 10K miles a year and commute in, get the Porsche. If you want a weekend fun toy that makes you smile every time you drive it correctly, get the Ferrari.

I have a 360 and I definitely did not cross shop Boxsters when I bought it. Just completely different animals suited for different applications.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    pretty much sums is up. i've never heard of someone comparing 360s to boxsters. I never even considered a 911 vs the 360 and for the record the 911 is the only real porsche to me.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If you don't HAVE to have the Ferrari, get the Porsche. I have both, and have had 3 Porsches in the past. They are both great cars for their purpose, but owning a Porsche is easier.....WAY easier!
    Since you have to ask, I have to recommend you to get the Porsche. If there is any logic in your decision, get the Porsche. The Ferrari should be bought if you have this burning desire to own one, and that urge won't go away. It's pure passion.
    As I tell others that ask me, the Porsche is the best car I ever bought, but the Ferrari is my favorite, there is nothing else (that I've driven) like it. I LOVE the look, I LOVE the feel, and I LOVE the sound. However, I have to honestly say that the ownership "experience" (in other words dealing with the dealers, dealing with maintenance, expensive parts etc.) does stink!
    All that said, I chose a Ferrari because I NEED a Ferrari and HAVE to have one, that's why I have one.

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Funny all this Porsch-speak. I just got an 06' 997 last saturday.

I really like it. So much so that on tuesday eve I was driving down the highway wondering.. "do I REALLY need the 360?"

Then, this afternoon I went for a drive in the 360. And without hesitation. "yes.. Yes.. YES!" There is no magic like a tossing a 360 around. You walk up to that sexy shape in the parking lot... the stuff that adolescent dreams are made of! That's YOUR car. :)

Porsches are nice but you don't get that with them. They're a smoother, more refined drive IMHO, but still not comparable. As Chris says above.. only if you NEED one. :)

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Get the Porsche. It's a better car in every category, except the "look at me factor". And obviously sound.

12. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wonder if it might be a better option to get a previous generation Porsche 911 GT3 - preferably with a MT.

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had the Boxster S and it was a POS. I switched back to BMW (2) and kept the 360 and TR.

But the 360 and be done with it.

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You forgot about the feel!
    The Porsche is boring unless you are beating on it. The Ferrari feels like a race car in comparison. It's even fun and exciting when driving slow. It just feels more special, it's as simple as that (At least compared to my Porsche).
    I have a 911 TT, so I have to guess that a GT3 will feel more special than my TT(since it's a race bred car). To be honest, if I didn't have a Ferrari a GT3 would probably be in my garage. To be fair, I never drove a GT3 so I'm only going by the write ups. Maybe if I drove one, I wouldn't be as impressed as I thought I would be......on the other hand, maybe if I drove one, the Ferrari would be up for sale ;). Until I drive one, I will assume that the Ferrari is better :D

15. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Gio,
    Go drive a 360...then you'll know.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The mid-engined 981 Boxster/Cayman is probably the car Porsche should have been focused on the last 10 years. I drove the Boxster S (not the GTS), and IMHO the main reason for the 991 is the rear seat if you have kids.

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well obviously, who doesn't lice the Boxster or want a bunch of treats before a belt service?

18. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well said.

I truly think the Boxster S / Cayman S **may** be the best pure sports car currently in production at any price (IMVHO - don't attack me). I owned them for many years when i could afford a more expensive car. It is an incredible machine that I enjoyed thoroughly every time I drove it.

My 360 is a different experience entirely. It will almost certainly cost more *out of pocket* each year to own. But it's totally worth it if you can accept it without causing undue stress. No Porsche I've driven (which is many...but to be fair not all) can really match the Ferrari driving experience.

19. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Exactly! For 15 years I told myself each and every year that I should "upgrade" to a 911 (various vintages, turbos, etc) but every time I drove one I was like, "why would I? The Boxster S is a better car."

20. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    I agree...I just bought the 981 Boxster....and thought of upgrading to a Boxster GTS....But instead I upgraded to a F 430 spider, with a Gated Stick shift.....Much better car for the money.....I kept the 981 boxster because its such a fun car for everyday....the Ferrari is a Special "event" to drive !!! I guess you really need one of each :D:D I may still get a 981 GTS, but I'll wait until they depreciate 50%...like in a year or two :D

21. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    But it's not the car they developed and honed for the past 40+ years. It's not the iconic shape that is synonymous with the brand name. Every reviewer and every owner echos what you're saying and im not disputing it, but porsche has made the unique rear engine layout work. 911s are wonderful drivers with near surgical steering. Porsche may make a more ideal car in the cayman/boxster but the illogic of the rear engine 911 and the iconic shape is what i love about them.

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I guess everyone has their view of the last "real" Porsche... I would say the 356A Speedster or '73 911 Carrera RS, but if I had to really drive one on the track I'd take the new Boxster/Cayman, hands down. The new gearbox and brakes are surreal.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    IMHO my 997 handles just as good as my 986. Only difference is that feeling of neutrality at the apex of the turn. OTOH there's also less of that uncertainty... Am I at the limit?

24. GioBanks25

GioBanks25 Rookie

Nov 27, 2014
    Cary
    Full Name:
    Gio
    Are they any indie shops in Nc for the Ferrari I feel you will be more satisfied with the 360 bbut the boxster gts is really nice. Which would be best suited if I wanna mode it like twin turbo