First Ferrari purchase | FerrariChat

First Ferrari purchase

Discussion in '308/328' started by stonker, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Hi, I've just purchased my first Ferrari an 81 308GTSi red with tan interior. It's having a cam belt service and a few bits and pieces looked at and I should pick it up next week. Obviously very excited. Hawaiian shirt also on order.
    Any other owners got a hints, tips etc for living with a GTSi? I know it has a reputation of not being the fastest 308 but that doesn't bother me. It has the same beautiful looks as the other models and well it's a Ferrari!!!!!

2. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Red/Tan = Classic!

Congrats and Pics please!

3. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Welcome, post a pic.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Welcome and congrats! When you get the car back, see and feel how it shif to 2nd gear when the engine is cold, if it's difficult, you need to change the gear oil to he right stuff.

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats and welcome! +1 on pics

Cheers!

Ruben

6. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Congratulations and welcome also.

7. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Congratulations and welcome

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Speed is secondary to the driving experience. Dont expect huge differences between any of them really. They are all huge fun!

Congrats and welcome!!

PDG

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Since you're shopping for a Hawaiian shirt, find the Reyn Spooner LeMans/Ferrari GTO shirt. :)

10. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll post some pics soon when i pick the car up. Spent most of today making room for it in the garage.

11. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Don't worry about it not being the fastest 308. The fastest 308 is 30 years old and tortoise slow by modern standards. How you are going is what matters in this car, not how fast you are going.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

12. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    None of these cars are fast but , to me, they are a great combination of speed and agility in a street driving environment. The only thing you need to do is drive it and when/if issues arise the people here will get you through it.

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Personally, I don't enjoy mine much on city streets. Over here, there's too much traffic and too many speed bumps. And I'm not at all interested in showing off.

Out on wide empty country lanes with a mix of big sweepers and tight bends around gently rolling hills is the best place to be. Welcome to the UK GTSi club, stonker :)

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    congrats: a 308 is a fantastic looking Ferrari, one of the best ever. Enjoy!

ciao

15. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I find the 308 to be a very enjoyable car to drive on twisty roads. They are not good at drag racing between turns, but are a blast when driving on roads where conservation of momentum is the key. If yours is a Euro model it is even better for this that the US model due to the lack of those massive bumpers hanging on the ends. It is surprising what a difference this makes in the middle of a turn, how the car reacts to throttle inputs. Enjoy!!!

16. cabbott2

cabbott2 Karting

Oct 27, 2014
    chicago/ Iowa
    Congrats! I just got my 308 in October, so I feel your excitement! Sadly, winter is in full swing (with snow and everything) so mine is now confined to the garage with weekly startups.

17. Cranky Puppy

Cranky Puppy Rookie

Nov 26, 2014
    #17 Cranky Puppy, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm new here, bought my 83 308GTS-QV in 2006 and it is still one of the best feelings in my memory. People said I was crazy for buying an old car with high maintenance cost. Didn't care and it still brings a huge smile to my face cruising on the highway, as I am sure all of you members feel the same way.
    I call her "RED" more personally "JENN" after a "dancer" I dated, even personal plates were Jen. LOL

One thing I learned is that there are tons of information out their on the web. Even Factory Service Manuals are out their. So if you can swing a wrench, be meticulous, and don't mind triple checking your own work then maintenance is very affordable. There are even some videos on how to service the 308s on the web.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Transient

Transient Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    transient
    Hi Cranky,
    What an interesting front grill you have. can you post any more detailed pics of this please? i think it looks awesome.
    thx....

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bumperless

20. Cranky Puppy

Cranky Puppy Rookie

Nov 26, 2014
    #20 Cranky Puppy, Nov 30, 2014
    I am actually the Forth Owner (I think) of this 308GTS qv. It is Eurospec and has all the Federalization Paperwork. The Front Bumper was a custom job done by the second owner. I liked it myself very much and bought the car at asking price. It has been repainted by the second owner also.
    Thank you for the earlier compliment. I too like the car without bumper.

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Here's a tip (and I'm dead serious about this):

DRIVE IT!!

Nothing could be worse than to treat the car as a garage queen. I realize the tendency to do it, but it's just not good practice.

These cars like to be driven, and you will have a blast. Easily one of the most fun cars I've ever owned, I love my 308.

Best of luck and congrats! Sounds like you are on your way!

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Congrats! Register for myferrari.com as an owner (they will email for proof) and then you will get a nice 20% discount on merch to celebrate your new acquisition! : )

23. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    DRIVE IT!!!!! Lost

24. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    #24 stonker, Dec 20, 2014
    Here's my car. I'm really pleased with it. It's such fun to drive and beautiful to look at. Lot's of little projects to do but no rush and that's part of the fun of owning a classic car for me.

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome! That is the right attitude to work on it AND enjoy driving it. I've tried to do the same and it has worked out fairly well.