Where is it going competition | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Where is it going competition

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by alastairhouston, Jun 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And in a right hand drive car no less! :)

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Indeed good one.

3. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Yes, I know - I'm English and am always on the pulse of exchange rates. Still, that price will look like a steal in the not-too-distant future.

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    BTDT - 400 Rescue Squad Member :D

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yes,I was doing the conversion to Aussie,as Wayne is one of these..$36950.Having written this,considering the Aussie has been falling from the US,what was the exchange rate,for the pound,in June?

The thread has turned,as has been said,into one large pile of Bull@#$%.

The last manual GT,in Aussie,(which I think Wayne owns)went for about $25ish.
    That had known issues but,as is the case here,the car was for sale for quite some time(at least a birthday).

Not taking any sides here at all,just sayin'.

I do,however,know that Wayne will take the car to a terrific level if,having seen it,his 365 Boxer is anything to go by.

6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Just thought of something else relevant to Australia - Isn't there a huge "% of value/cost" tax on importing even (or especially?) vintage cars?
    I may be recalling that wrong, though.

7. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    The cut off is 30 years,so the 400 makes it .
    There is a luxury car tax,but this will fall under that as well.

8. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Simon
    what are the facts you know about this car? what do you mean by known issues?
    Are you suggesting to me that this car was too expensive because he bought another for a lower price !!!! Are you being serious? I am as I said very happy to go into discussion which will ime afraid prove that Wayne or any other human being buying a Ferrari for 20k and expecting it to be perfect is plainly stupid.
    I didn't make that mistake I bought it for less yep that's right I bought it for 10k and spent 25 to 30 how can he possibly expect to buy it for less than 20k?

9. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I do,however,know that Wayne will take the car to a terrific level if,having seen it,his 365 Boxer is anything to go by.[/QUOTE]

Interesting you suggest he will take it to a terrific level! Obviously he does not know what that entails if he expected it to be perfect already. Firstly I understand he does not actually do any work himself on the car otherwise we wouldn't be having any discussion. Which means you are suggesting he is going to spend at least 80k because that's what it will cost if he wants to rebuild the car completely minimum.

10. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Interesting you suggest he will take it to a terrific level! Obviously he does not know what that entails if he expected it to be perfect already. Firstly I understand he does not actually do any work himself on the car otherwise we wouldn't be having any discussion. Which means you are suggesting he is going to spend at least 80k because that's what it will cost if he wants to rebuild the car completely minimum.[/QUOTE]

Alastair,I'm not going down the line you are going.
    You feel as though you're being vilified here,not by me.

I have stated some actual facts,A:the pound/dollar conversion,you can read into that what you will,B:the other 400 had rust and other issues-fact-I enquired re the car when it was for sale,C: I have seen one of Wayne's other cars and made positive comment.

That's it,leave it alone.

I've seen Wayne's Boxer,it is great,that is

11. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Now that I have criticized Alastair on a public forum ime now going to pretend life is all rosey and we should be nice and positive life is too short!!!

Ime afraid Wayne I wont be letting you away with that. This is a actually quite funny, the great teacher and font of all knowledge wishes to offer lessons! If I were you I would do some more learning before you start to offer lessons.! Making accusations on a public forum is fine and ime prepared for that fight but don't expect me to be sitting back I have all the receipts all the pictures and all the argument and I wont be leaving until you are proved completely wrong.

12. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland

The fact that you recovered only part of your investment is hardly unexpected. If you spent 30k on maintenance and just drove it, that would be the normal cost of operation for this group of cars. It appears more likely that this was the case. Without viewing the car prior to purchasing misunderstandings happen.
    You were paid 20k for your 10k investment. You used it and accrued maintenance needs that, in some cases were addressed, and it appears some were not. That is where your hobby spent your 30k, not on restoration. It was well spent and you should have enjoyed it immensely.
    As for sight unseen 20k 400GT's, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a running car let alone a restored one. Your buyer recognizes he should have at least looked at the car. At 20k it probably is a fair price for him too.
    Wishful thinking can get the best of anyone.

13. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Alastair,I'm not going down the line you are going.
    You feel as though you're being vilified here,not by me.

I have stated some actual facts,A:the pound/dollar conversion,you can read into that what you will,B:the other 400 had rust and other issues-fact-I enquired re the car when it was for sale,C: I have seen one of Wayne's other cars and made positive comment.

That's it,leave it alone.

I've seen Wayne's Boxer,it is great,that is[/QUOTE]

I don't feel as if ime being vilified, I am being vilified and I will respond accordingly. you stick to your own line and I will respect you otherwise don't start to get involved in someone elses dispute.
    That's it leave it alone!!!!!!!!
    Are you kidding no chance of that.

14. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Absolutely correct, normal. included in the money of course there were hundreds of hours work that I undertook that would otherwise have been spent in a shop, however I was happy to accept 20k only the buyer wasn't happy. Although I am very unhappy now about the outcome I had a great experience learning and driving the car it really was a fantastic thing appreciated.

15. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I don't feel as if ime being vilified, I am being vilified and I will respond accordingly. you stick to your own line and I will respect you otherwise don't start to get involved in someone elses dispute.
    That's it leave it alone!!!!!!!!
    Are you kidding no chance of that.[/QUOTE]

AAhhh I see where you thought you had a problem with my initial statement.
    My punctuation/English/etc was taken out of context.
    By the "as with this one",that was in relation to the amount of time you had your car for sale,NOTHING to do with any issues with your car.
    That was my mistake in not proof-reading what I had written.
    I can see how you can have taken offence at that and I apologise publicly for the mistake.

16. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    AAhhh I see where you thought you had a problem with my initial statement.
    My punctuation/English/etc was taken out of context.
    By the "as with this one",that was in relation to the amount of time you had your car for sale,NOTHING to do with any issues with your car.
    That was my mistake in not proof-reading what I had written.
    I can see how you can have taken offence at that and I apologise publicly for the mistake.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think I had a problem with your initial statement I 'had' a problem with your initial statement you referred to the fact that my car had been for sale for some time to suggest that it would have been unreasonable to sell it for so much!!! which is of course wrong.
    I dont blame you for that but I will point out every time when you are wrong if you want to get involved in someone elses argument.

17. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I didn't think I had a problem with your initial statement I 'had' a problem with your initial statement you referred to the fact that my car had been for sale for some time to suggest that it would have been unreasonable to sell it for so much!!! which is of course wrong.
    I dont blame you for that but I will point out every time when you are wrong if you want to get involved in someone elses argument.[/QUOTE]

Nup,had nothing to do with any of that,just what I stated.
    cheers.
    Simon

18. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    For my .02c/.01p

This whole thread should have stopped on the 28/10/14.

After that there should only have been PM's or emails between the parties involved.
    None of anyone else's business.

19. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Simon apologies, you are absolutely right. That is a very sensible idea.
    Appreciated
    Regards
    Alastair

20. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Doesn't anyone know how to reply to a post while leaving the original post quoted properly in the gray box?

The "I thought I said this but I can see why you thought I said that" is starting to overtake the thread, which is well off the rails anyway.

My recommendation is that buyer and seller, having each had their say, let this issue rest as far as the public discussion is concerned.

Unless you're both willing to chip in for popcorn for everyone of course! :)

21. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    This thread just started doing this phenomenon.
    I haven't changed anything from the norm then all of a sudden......

22. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Doesn't anyone know how to reply to a post while leaving the original post quoted properly in the gray box?

[/QUOTE]

No clue. Please enlighten us.

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Please don't let this thread ruin what was an otherwise "wonderful story" for you Alastair.
    You're a stand up guy and I, for one, don't believe that you've done anything wrong.
    All the best my friend,

brett

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Must be losing the open

25. alastairhouston

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Thanks Brett
    Your right, good words. I just got too annoyed there so will calm it down and remember the good stuff for sure, it was a wonderful story. Kind Regards from Scotland.
    Alastair