Fiat to Spin off Ferrari | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Fiat to Spin off Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by kosmo, Oct 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Roberto Fedeli did leave. Perhaps he suspected this as well.

2. leggs

leggs Karting

Apr 5, 2007
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Full Name:
    Matthew Rapoport
    Who's going to buy these cars? Reality is people have a hard time getting by, who are their potential new customers? People who already buy these brands?

3. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    what cars?

4. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    I think what they mean is that the Ferrari shares owned by FCA are being distributed to FCA shareholders after they split off the initial 10% -- meaning that FCA will not retain any of Ferrari. Fascinating! Combined with the announcement that Marchionne is personally leading Ferrari, wonder if this isn't all just a succession planning exercise for FCA!

:)

5. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Absolutely. Often a spin announcement is a way of soliciting bids to buy the company being spun.

Then again, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

6. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Yes, Ferrari borrows so that FCA can have money. Not an unusual structure for a spin.

But given the significant ownership of the families, you'd have to think they would be a little crazy to over-leverage Ferrari just to benefit FCA?

7. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    I think you'll have to work a bit to get an actual paper certificate. These days, all shares are pretty much book-entry only unless you hound them for the paper (and maybe not even then).

8. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Ferrari should offer shares of the IPO first to registered Ferrari car owners! Little perk for brand loyalty. They should have some kind of investment program setup for this where you can put in for an allocation of shares (no limit) and decide if you want some or all issues via book entry or certificates. Just sayin'

9. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    This is Ferrari. Therefore, they would take a certificate for a single share of stock worth $20, mat it, stick it in an "authentic" ferrari frame, and sell it for $250 out of their ubiquitous gift shops.

10. leggs

leggs Karting

Apr 5, 2007
    Coral Springs, Fl
    Full Name:
    Matthew Rapoport
    The cars they are robbing from Peter to pay Paul with. If they are selling Ferrari stock to fund other marques who is going to buy those cars?

11. dennymeister

dennymeister Karting

Jan 30, 2013
    If I was chairman of apple I would consider to buy ferrari. They have 150Bn dollar in cash.
    It would fit there image of extreme performance and luxury goods

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Marcel, perhaps I've misread the press on this. I had understood that FCA bonds would have to be purchased by buyers of Ferrari SpA shares as a part of the iPO. I'm not clear on how they expect buyers of Ferrari shares on the IPO to buy significant amounts of FCA bonds. Nor is a Ferrari company saddled with billions of dollars of FCA debt with no financial benefit to Ferrari a very attractive economic proposition.

What do you understand to be the terms of the Ferrari IPO of 10% of the Company with subsequent distribution of the remaining 90% to FCA shareholders?

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have you driven the cars for sale today? 2003 is a very long long time ago!

Today's Maserati is not selling those cars. Today's Maserati is selling an E class level car for an S class price.... This isn't the model for sustained volume sales. And Maserati needs volume sales...

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He went to BMW and now we hear of an improved i8 model coming out in 2-3 years time to celebrate BMW's 100th birthday...

15. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

My 2004 CC Coupe would concur.

16. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Ah, your thinking the FF set the stage for Traveller XL. Good call.

17. larrymakow

larrymakow Rookie

Oct 22, 2014
    I saw nothing to indicate that this is a leveraged spin. It may ultimately be, but the 2.5 bn convertible offering is FCA and appears unrelated to Ferrari. They did say that they expect bondholders who convert into FCA shares to be in a position to receive Ferrari shares in the spin off, like any other FCA shareholder of record. The 10 percent looks to be a partial IPO that will be sold broadly to the public. The Ferrari shares FCA owns after that will be dividended out to FCA shareholders pro rata.

18. ace355

ace355 Formula Junior

May 23, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ferrari getting floated...the pessimist in me is thinking its a sign of the top of the market. Never underestimate the arrogance of new management! As LDM rides off into the sunset we are told about these 'ultra limited editions'...the US F12 NART and the Sergio...not sure if I like it, and won't be disappointed that nothing comes in the mailbox!

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    +1 :)

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #170 WCH, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. patekswiss

patekswiss Formula 3

Mar 31, 2014
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo
    Although it is not uncommon for spun off companies to take on debt to fund a one-time cash dividend to the parent prior to the spin (leveraged spin), I didn't see anything in the announcement that suggests that FCA was doing that here. They did talk about a $2.5 bn convertible debt offering at the FCA level and did mention that buyers of those notes could expect to participate in the spinoff by means of the underlying FCA shares receiving the dividend of Ferrari stock, but that to me is not the same is saying they will lever up Ferrari. Of course, that doesn't mean they won't ultimately do that, but the large family ownership stakes suggest to me that they won't overdo it. Am I missing something?

22. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003

Have seen comments to the effect that the 4 billion financing plan includes debt to be transferred to Ferrari, amount not stated.

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    LOL

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Change can be good. the whole Luca Ferrari schtick was getting stale. i would just liek some great drivers cars to come out of this, that si my interest and interest in ferrari, the rest is all fluff, although that fluff has sold well.

25. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    When the head of Fiat-Chrysler was in Beverly Hills to announce the F60 a few weeks ago, I should have asked him why he isn't worrying more about coming up with a replacement for the Chrysler 300 which is really growing stale in styling. You need a bread and butter car that is bought by the millions to make it as a carmaker in America. So he shouldn't be occupying his time worrying about tiny niche models in the Ferrari line. (I didn't approach him because of determined bodyguards..) That is a little like asking a food planner at McDonalds for advice on planning a gourmet meal at The Palm.
    But anyway I think separating out Ferrari as a separate entity leaves them to make their own decisions, and with more flexibility. And a split is significant especially if Fiat-Chrysler hits the rocks of reality and sinks, a split allows Ferrari to escape their fate. Fortunately for Chrysler, America still loves Ram pickup trucks. One punster joked that Chrysler is a pickup truck company that also makes cars. With the Ferrari stock at under $12 a share I would think a Ferraristi would now be able to brag he owns a few hundred or thousand shares, and he would no longer have to support Chrysler with their convoluted marketing plans.

(though I do think the John Varvatos Luxury Edition SRT8 is a good idea, (even if putting lipstick on a pig doesn't mean it still isn't a pig)