43,000 mile FF detailed and coated with GYEON | FerrariChat

43,000 mile FF detailed and coated with GYEON

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #1 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As soon as I mention a 43K mile FF, most of you here on F-Chat immediately know that it belongs to Rick Lederman...a long-term customer of ours. He's been a great ambassador for all things ESOTERIC, and we certainly appreciate his continued support.

While we detail a little bit of everything, our specialty is, and always has been Ferrari. As we speak we have an Enzo, 599, California, and a 288 GTO in here getting worked on. We see all types from collection cars that never get driven on one end of the spectrum, up to daily driver Ferraris as with Rick's cars. Having said that though, we have never seen Ferraris get driven like Rick's do...he enjoys every single minute in them, and will go out of his way just to spend more time enjoying them (good for you, Rick!).

Having seen all types, we occasionally hear from Ferrari (and other highline vehicle) owners that say "I can't have / don't need high level detailing...I actually drive my car(s)". Well for one, compared to Rick, they don't "drive" their vehicles! :) And secondly, Rick is the poster-child and / or perfect case study proving that you can have both...a highly detailed car that is driven all of the time.

When Rick purchased his FF a few years ago, we immediately polished it out to bring out the best in the new factory paint (factory paint only represents about 80-85% of the true potential of good looks!), and coat it for long-term protection. From there, Rick understands the proper washing and drying techniques so he can regularly and easily maintain it himself between the more major work. So when we received the car 2 years and 43k miles later, the paint was still in very good condition...hardly any swirls whatsoever (the arch-enemy of good looks and high gloss). It just needed a light polish to restore gloss, apply a new durable coating, and touch-up a lot of small areas to bring it back close to showroom condition.

So we proceeded to clean / decontaminate / polish the paint, then it was on to all of the little details and interior cleaning. We are the exclusive US distributors for a fantastic new line from GYEON, so we were going to focus all of our efforts using these durable coating products to give the FF the kind of protection it requires being driven this much. The main paint coating, called Mohs+, is a 3-layer process using 2 different coating formulas. This provides for a hard base layer (x2), followed by a softer formula on top. When done, it provides an absolute brilliant gloss that looks like it was dipped in a candy shell. We have done the same process on the red 599 and the yellow Enzo in the shop and we will share those photos and processes in a later thread.

When finished, we used the following:
    GYEON Mohs+ coating for the body
    GYEON View. Durable windshield coating
    GYEON Trim. Durable coating for trim and headlights
    GYEON CanCoat. Extremely easy to use coating that we did the wheels with. Normally if it were a wheels-off service, we would use GYEON Rim (more durable than CanCoat, and designed specifically for wheels / calipers).
    GYEON FabricCoat. Durable waterproofing of carpets
    GYEON Tire. Durable, dry to the touch, satin-finish tire dressing (our favorite!)

More information on the entire GYEON line can be found at: Gyeon quartz coat - gyeonquartzusa.com
    Orders can be placed at: Gyeon Quartz
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #2 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014
  3. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #3 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014
    The carpets and floor mats were cleaned and treated with GYEON FabricCoat. The stuff is amazing, and works equally as good on convertible tops. Below is a link to the product page...do yourself a favor and click on the video I made with a pair of Porsche floor mats!

Gyeon Q2 FabricCoat - 120ml

We also applied GYEON Trim to the black trim. Even if you had faded out trim on your car, this will turn it back to black, and keep it that way for over a year of daily driving!

4. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #4 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014
  5. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Driven like it must be !

F*** garage queens.

I love Detailing threads. Anymore pictures ?

6. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    #6 Esoteric Auto Detail, Oct 24, 2014
  7. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    #7 NSXLuvr, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    That FF looks amazing after 43K miles!!

I have never heard of Gyeon before. I need to do some research. How long have you guys been using it? Any significant downsides for a DIY.

Thanks

Ritesh.

8. Esoteric Auto Detail

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    GYEON has been very popular worldwide, but just now making it into the states. You can find a lot of good information out there about it. The products are very easy to use, most have detailed instructions, and their website has a lot of great information and videos as well.

And thanks on the looks of the FF!

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Beautiful. And a yellow Enzo in Ohio?? Nice!

10. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Rick's car looks fantastic. Awesome to see Fcars with that sort of year/mileage ratio.

Does that yellow Enzo have a tan interior? I believe I've seen it a Mid-Ohio a few times. I can't imagine there are too many Enzos in the area.

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great thread, I always enjoy detailing thread. The end result of the detailing is superb.

12. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Beautiful and ready for another 43000 miles.

One thing I prefer that is different is a real polymer protective film on the windshield. It hasn't saved my FF's glass ($8,000) yet but it did at least twice on my X5M. Don't leave home without it.

13. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    How old is Rick's FF?

14. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    Looks like new! Quite beautiful!

15. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Looks fantastic! I'm sure Rick will confirm, but I believe his FF is a 2012 as is mine. I only have 16K odd miles on mine though! (Almost daily driver)

16. ferrari169

ferrari169 Karting

Jan 14, 2014
    Northeast USA
    It's a 2012

17. SRRY4RE

SRRY4RE Rookie

Sep 15, 2014
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    The dry tire coat is definitely intriguing, I hate hate hate the splatter aftermath of "wet" tire dressing.

18. SRRY4RE

SRRY4RE Rookie

Sep 15, 2014
    Tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Do you get wiper chatter with a windshield film? I assume it's a film similar to clear bra? Or is it totally different material?

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #19 RickLederman, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Todd beat me to the post. I now am driving a brand new FF !!!!! even though I've owned it for two years and almost 43,000 miles :). The job Todd and his guys and this new coating product is STUNNING. The paint looks an inch deep. The resale value just went up a BIG bunch :).

I put some of the Gyeon windshield coating on my California windshield a couple weeks ago and it is perfect in the rain. The more rain the better. With slow speeds or slow rain during the day you still use the wipers. No chattering and now filmy look like I have seen with RainX as I remember. These products are great.

On the drive home some butthead (can I use the A word here?:D) must have been dragging a giant spider nest as the front got covered with cobwebs ... made the car look like it was scratched everywhere. Then coming down the street leading to my house (normally a spotless street) I found 1/2 inch of dusty dirt for 1/2 mile, man was I unhappy! Anyway, the cobwebs instantly came off along with the dust when I got home.

These products are amazing, and I said that with the 22PLE but these look deeper, much deeper. I am VERY happy and the FF is spectacular again.

20. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Glad you've got your FF back Rick! Looks fantastic in the photos! Not sure I could live without mine for that long, Cali or not!! :D

21. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    There is no wiper chatter; wiper action is very smooth. The film looks similar to a clear bra but seems thicker. There are two debits:
    -- a slight visual distortion which your brain quickly accommodates to
    -- it will last only a couple of years depending on use and UV exposure.

The second point is no big deal since the film is pretty cheap -- about $200. My X5M had taken so many hits that it begged for replacement after about 18 months. The underlying glass was pristine -- none of those tiny erosion craters that accumulate from high speed driving.

22. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Rick, I have Ivan work on my cars. What is it that you used on the exhaust pipes to make them look better than new?

Great Job. Rick enjoy the new car I guess you won't be trading it in for a long time.

23. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Hi Todd,

Can you give a quick comparison between VX1 & GYEON?

Thanks

24. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Todd can answer the exhaust pipe question. I almost hate to drive it but :) get over that feeling when I start it. In fact I had been without the FF for two weeks as it was at the dealer for a couple warranty issues, all fixed, then Todd picked it up from the dealer. My first look at it was a breath taker. After slobbering all over it for 30 minutes Todd started it to pull it out and I about crapped my pants. The sound of a FF when starting is unbelievable. Here that once and you are SOLD.

Today at the office as I walked out to go to lunch the look of the finish, so darned deep ... I am so fortunate to live near Esoteric Auto Detail (no I don't work for Todd) and also so fortunate to own a couple Ferraris! The California is there to get the paint etc. done and hopefully Todd posts pics of that too, I am sure he will.

I will be back to the thread once I wash it the first time, then monthly to report on how easily it cleans up.

And it is a late 2012 that I bought in August 2012 as I remember. I had no wait as it was destined to be a dealer demo car but I bought it from them before it had any demo miles. They just recycled their existing demo car back into demo status. I do hope to sell it mid or late next summer to move into a 2015 FF. I know I will take quite a hit on mileage but even with all these miles it is stunning. Taken proper car of these cars will last a very long time. I HIGHLY suggest all of you visit Todd's website for instructions on properly washing and how to dry your car without towels. And throw away your STUPID California Duster ... Please.

Today I jumped on it a few times :D and man does it move better than the California!

25. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Forgot to mention - beautiful FF Rick - and glad to see you are putting so many miles on it.