365 GT4 2+2 under resto | FerrariChat

365 GT4 2+2 under resto

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Cazna, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Aussie based GT4 # 17369 under full restoration.
    Ex UK car so all rust removed and restored to original Blu Ribot.
    Hope to have back on road for Summer cruising at Christmas.

2. EVOeng

EVOeng Karting

Jul 1, 2011
    London, England
    Lovely colour, when was it last in the UK?

3. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Are you taking it from 4 rear lights to 6? Looks like a outline has been marked out for the extra light but there is no center hole for the wiring yet? or was this panel new metal that you put in?

4. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Car was exported from UK in late 70's as far as I can ascertain. Car originally was white from Factory(which I think looks great on the GT4) but before delivery, the UK dealer asked for it to be in Blu Ribot, so it was stripped and resprayed at the Ferrari Factory before shipping. It has 6 (3 x 2) rear lights and these will stay original. Rear panel we believe is still original but will be returned to black, not silver as when we took over the car. The third light on there when removed is only a reflector lens, not a powered light. Is this correct?

5. squidmark

squidmark Karting

Sep 11, 2011
    Oxford
    Full Name:
    Howard Dent
    It is indeed a reflector, and there are no wires to it - so no 'hole'!

Looks good, keep up the hard work ;-)

Howard.

6. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks Howard.
    Yes, lots of elbow grease going into this project.
    Cheers

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    That is a lovely colour. It'll be fantastic if you can get it done by Christmas!

8. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    Very nice. Where abouts are the main rust spots? Also nice VK.

9. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Well done Robert. Good to see someone else restoring these cars. Love that colour.

10. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    That looks great Robert. Hope you get it back on the road soon. Is that a lotus Cortina parked next to it?

Cheers Al

11. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, Lotus Cortina. Good spotting. Rust was in both sills, and both front and rear side panels down low as well as bottom middle of front screen and as one can see in the photo, the spots around the rear screen. Complete replacement of outer skins and also sub chassis members on both sides. We've also completely restored all brake components including piping,fuel lines,all suspension rubbers in fact all rubber parts underneath as well as new Mille Miglia exhaust system;the list goes on. The car was in very good original condition but 40 years on… you know how it goes.
    Internally,completely original in excellent condition. Original mats etc.

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    What about the red and white race car? What is it? Looks vaguely Fiat 131ish.

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's a very cool thing, Aussie made, similar era to a 131.

M

14. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Its a 1985 local Australian made GM Holden VK Commodore. We have a annual race here in Australia; the iconic Bathurst 1000 where Ford and Holden have gone head to head for many years and more recently opened up to other manufacturers. If you like racing, check it out on the web and I think you can watch it live, again via the web. The VK was a very successful fast unit which was popularised by one of our local race hero here, the late Peter Brock. Not mine, belongs to a friend.

15. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm looking for a lead knockoff hammer to complete the tool kit. Any suggestions please?

16. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Qf3yuofVE]Peter Brock Bathurst winner, sideways in the '84 HDT VK Holden at Goodwood Festival of Speed 05 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqM87WJEPc0]Bathurst 1984 - Peter Brock '05' Lap. - YouTube[/ame]

M

17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ah, ok. I drive Bathurst often! Albeit virtually on iRacing. :)

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    LOL! As a Fiat-phile I'm glad you put that 'era' in! Just kidding... but as an aside if anyone is interested in a genuine, mint 131 Racing a friend is selling his.

19. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    One of my favorite colors!

20. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Good to see it is being restored and will be back in its original colour. Robert, if you know the original UK registration number I would appreciate it for my records.

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Well, technically the original color was white. :). But yeah, that blue is awesome.

22. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I think the first UK rego was UGH90M.
    Ordered for delivery by H.R. Owen Ltd.
    Tony Willis has been excellent in helping us track the vehicle.
    Some "Classic" pricing has recently come to light.
    It cost all of GBP£15 to deliver the car to Owens in London by lorry from Dover and the 4 gals of petrol supplied with the car were invoiced by Maranello at GBP£1.54. Oh to have petrol at that price again as each time we fill it in Sydney, it is well over AUD$140+
    The respray at Ferrari was very good as we have only found parts of the original white around the windscreens and some remaining on rear quarter panels.
    The colour was changed after a letter dated June 8th 1973 from Maranello Uk to Ferrari.
    The Nero colour inside as stood the test of time well.
    We needed to repair two panels on the leather trim, one on each of the front seats and were very fortunate to obtain a 40 year old Connelly hide from a local supplier in Nero so perfect match. We have spare hide for any future repairs. One hole looked very much like a cigarette burn!

23. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Thanks, if I discover any early history about your car I will let you know. I have it as first registered in the UK on 7 November 1973 which given the colour change request in June indicates that it took a while to be repainted and delivered to the first owner, which was not unusual in those days.