2014 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX - RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 19 | FerrariChat

2014 FORMULA 1 JAPANESE GRAND PRIX - RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Oct 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I had the same thoughts: reminded me of Senna, full speed straight into the wall/tractor

Maybe something broke on the Marussia.

2. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes it looks like. Sutil spun because of aquaplaning but he went in straight on...No brakes?
    As far as I can see the video is already deleted...

3. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    #453 maulaf, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am not 100% certain but hasn't there been a picture circulating earlier that showed him spinning with rear wheels digging up gravel?

Edit: found image via google from http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4383339.ece/alternates/s615/Jules-Bianchi.jpg

I would assume it is from yesterday but tabloids tend to grab something else at times...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    That flag station was after the incident though - SOP is to wave the green to signal a clear track from that point on. *Maybe*, and this is of course pure speculation, Jules saw that and got on the power a little too early? Maybe there's an argument that the section immediately following any incident should also stay yellow? But it's never been that way in the past.

It's got to reach out and pick up an 850kg race car. Physics is physics.......

Ian

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Totally worst case scenario for Bianchi. That is just a horrible crash. We can only hope he pulls through, but will he ever drive a racingcar again? I doubt it.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    On the video the crash happens at 1:12, the green flag is still being waved 12 seconds later at 1:24 ..... He hesitates a second right after the crash then resumes ..... Total shock I think.
    DEFINATELY a freak event and very tragic.

7. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think it's a case of which is the bigger hazard: leaving a car that won't move on the track in changing conditions or removing it with a crane that is functional and has a much smaller window of time as a hazardous threat.

Just terrible luck, imo....

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    No the green flag was directly over Sutil's car.

We've seen much smaller equipment used to move F1 cars.

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think the problem is with the equipment moving the cars. They need to be big and poweful machines to get where they need to be and effectively arrive, lift, and move out as quicly as possible. It's just a really really freak accident. I kind of had the same reaction when Montoya hit the jet dryer truck during yellow. You watch that and think how can that ever happen? I mean not the same thing... but you scratch your head when things like this happen.

i think you have to set the shock aside and assess the situation as it is. I mean, how many times in the last 20 years has a retrieval vehicle been involved in an incident like that? If it's once a year... than yeah... something needs to be done. If this is the first incident like this... I'm sure there are other circumstances that need to be address first before the truck itself.

Should the yellow track speed be slower or should there be a lower mandatory speed around the caution area?

Ricksb is right... it's difficult to tell from the footage to get a true perspective of speed and what not, but it sure looked fast. Would the same thing have happened if the caution speed in that area was say the same as the pit speed? I don't know.

10. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    He was on the brakes, but it looks like he slid onto the escape road and it was a short distance to the crane. Just bad luck.

11. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It looks that way - I'm sure partly as a result of the 'flattening' effect of long lenses. But, we're looking at the first station *past* the incident, and again, SOP is for that station to show the green.

Possibly. But would it have made any difference? :(

Ian

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm surprised it got deleted. That really reeks of censorship.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember watching live on TV when Rega crashed into a parked car. They said that made his injuries worse. Double edged sword

14. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
  15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Could be a distorted perspective but you'd think that they'd excerise an abundance of caution under that situation.

Would it have made a difference? Tough to say but it certainly wouldn't have been worse.

16. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    That's exactly what I said yesterday, but I was lectured about it :rolleyes:

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Its a tough room.
    What can I say?

18. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Unfortunately, SOP for FOM. I don't think it's anything to do with trying to censor it. A few years back remember Mclaren got in trouble for allowing some VIP to post a video shot inside their garage..... Bernie, righty or wrongly is another debate, wants to control *all* video leaving the circuit.

Damn, my little video of Senna qualifying in '89 just got me banned from Vimeo! :(

Ian

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    We have a few of those 'cranes' underground. That looks like a CAT version. We have Kotmasu, they nearly all look the same.

They are called IT's. *Integrated tool carriers* They can have up to 12 different tools/attachments placed on the front of it which make it very versatile.

They articulate in the middle, have good ground clearance, are fast and the only reason they use that style at the track is because they have a high lift boom on them. They can lift up to 4 metres high.

(I have also seen Telehandlers used at other tracks, entirely different machine but have an extremely high boom lift on them and a lot longer reach also)

They need the height to be able to pick the F1 cars up off the ground to take them away. The cars weigh around 600 kg, these can lift 9000 kg. Overkill for the weight of the lift, but as mentioned they need the height and they need to remove the damaged cars off the track quickly and efficiently. This is the perfect machine.

The counter weight on the rear of the machine is made out of solid steel and unfortunately.....................that is exactly where Bianchi hit at high speed. :(

That machine weighs around 16,000kg. To lift the rear off the ground like that was a hell of an impact. Lucky it didn't kill him instantly.

Thoughts are with him, hope he pulls through.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah yes, right. Each ticket stub states that all footage belongs to F1. Yup.

I'm glad Bernie has left me alone. :)

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There's got to be a safer way.

22. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    very ugly... It doesn't seem to be a terribly high speed. It is just such an ugly object to hit. It looks like he might have been lifting a good part of the truck with his helmet.
    The immediate concern is the head but I truly hope that his neck was strong enough to sustain that massive knock from above.

23. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Nothing,I don't expect you to say anything.
    I was just saying. :)

24. nick@island-fever.com

Jul 17, 2013
    I don't understand how something this terrible could happen. Shouldn't the safety car been deployed before the crane was allowed to be any where near the track? I've seen races stopped because they were repairing impact areas. This seems like a huge screw-up and should be investigated and perhaps in the future this may not happen again.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Not trying to be clever here, and I'm sure Charlie is looking at it in much more depth than us, but can you name one?

Not trying to say they're perfect (obviously, they're not), but this protocol has been SOP for decades, and has served us well until now. :(

Ian