Opinion on a 360 I want to purchase | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Opinion on a 360 I want to purchase

Discussion in '360/430' started by mkzhang, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #26 mkzhang, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is the name for the blue called "Blu Scuro"? I quite like it

I've seen the below at a car show before, and I do not like that. Not the same, right? Feeling a bit color blind right about now lol
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NCromwell

NCromwell Karting

Apr 27, 2014
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Called them today and was told their policy is that any mechanic or anyone can come look at the car and "look it over", but they do not let any car leave their lot for the purchase of a PPI.

I would look at other cars. When I was looking for my 360 every dealer I worked with (4 total) not only encouraged a PPI but helped facilitate it.

Midwest Exotic Motors in St. Louis (whom I ended up buying a car from and was excellent to deal with) even PERSONALLY DROVE AT NO EXPENSE the car to another dealer of MY CHOOSING for the inspection.

With a car of this type, a PPI is an essential part of not only the decision process but also the purchase price negotiation. Having a look at the maintenance work they are claiming to have done is important as well.

Good luck in your search and please let us know how it goes about.

Cheers,

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    The interior looks to be Blu Scuro which is a proper complimentary interior for Grigio Alloy.
    GA's don't look as sharp with black or tan interiors due to predominate GA's blue tones. This is the right color combo.

4. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    appears to be Blu Medio whick I have in my Grigio Alloy 360.

Scuro = Dark
    Medio = Medium

5. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you all for your help, and thank you NCromwell for making the call! I will get on the phone with them in the next hour or so, see if I can make them budge...

6. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So the dealer absolutely will not budge on PPI or price to accommodate the belt service that is over 5 years old. Guess no deal on this car then.

7. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Walk away... that's a deal killer. A first Ferrari should be a great experience from Day 1. A PPI is not a guarantee that nothing will go wrong, but it is a great step in the right direction. If they are not willing to do that, then you should keep looking.

FWIW, I too have a GA and Blue Scurro car and happen to LOVE the combo. That said, I'd be happy with a bunch of other colors out there too so I'm more interested in a great car with up-to-date service than a particular color combo.

Good luck! Your car is out there... keep searching!

8. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    #33 GaryR, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. neunelf

neunelf Rookie

Nov 18, 2004
    SC
    No PPI; then tell them to PPIS off.

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Did the dealer ever state a reason as to, why they would not allow you to take the car to a PPI? It's very strange. I can't even imagine how such a conversation would go, it's that odd to me.

11. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The conversation went something along the line of:

"I dont even want to begin talk about all the various reasons why I would not allow a PPI prior to purchase".

Even after I told them the person I want to use happens to be the shop that services all of their inventory. Shame, because I was ready to buy that car last night.

12. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    You did the right thing. They shouldn't be selling Ferrari's if they're not open to PPI's. They know it's going to impact what you offer them, because if the were confident in the car they would do it, or at least have had some type of formal inspection and report done for any potential buyer so they don't have to keep sending the car out. It's not worth buying a car that cannot be inspected.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    HA, It's great when they show their nasty lying side right out in plain site like that. Forget that place...and the car. They were going to punk you soooo good! You dodged a bullet. IMO

14. robertpel9

robertpel9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You should run away. Personally I don't feel there is anything great about this deal from a pricing perspective even if all is in order. When i was looking before buying a few months ago there was no shortage of non red cars in the 65-75 range for modenas and 75-80 range for Spiders, all under 20k miles, etc

I was going to buy a 2002 Spyder in this color combo with a stick for 77k, i rally had to have red and i bought a MINT fully loaded up to date on service with all records F1 Red / Tan for 75k, 1500 miles later and all is perfect

Keep looking, nothing special about the car or the price

15. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    never having owned a Ferrari and based on everything i have read on these chats for over a year. I would never buy a used Ferrari without a PPI. No question, as the service and problems can cost huge amounts of money.

16. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you open the Carfax? When I tried it said that the VIN was wrong. And, I bought a 360 last summer and thank God for the PPI because I was able to make a better deal because of it.

17. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes there is a carfax, after checking the VIN against the ferrari VIN decoder, the part of the VIN that says "S1" is supposed to be "51". So what they have on the site is a typo. The last string of the VIN is "610122831", not "610112283" as they have it on the site.

18. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    So to update on this story, I (against all logic) decided to go back and make the deal on this car but as luck would have it they sold it the day before.

Maybe its a blessing in disguise? Because I would have bought the car without a PPI. A pure emotional decision.

So after being super frustrated, and spending some more time looking around. I am unable to find the car that i truly wanted within what I considered my price range.

Before giving into my desire to own a Ferrari, I was shopping heavily for an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.... so I just signed the paper to trade-in my beautiful yellow lotus Exige for a beautiful Aston Martin.

Guess I will be lurking again for some more while staying in the british car family.... but I will be back!!!

Thanks for all your help guys :)

19. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
  20. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Holy blast from the past!

I joined this forum back in 2009 as a young kid dreaming about Ferrari and want to know what real Ferrari owners talk about.

Then in 2014 I was so close to buying a 360 but the opportunity slipped by, and i couldn't really reach for a 430.

And a few years later I have a beautiful 430 parked in my garage (well, my parents as I work in the city a hundred miles away). The buying journey has been a rough and not the most pleasant one, but I hope the ownership and driving experience will make up for it.

It's almost been a decade, and I wouldn't have believed I would own a Ferrari if you told me back when I joined this forums.

Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Congrats!!! Post some pics :)

22. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I was reading this (had not checked the advert which no doubt would have come up with a 404 error or like) assuming it was current and not checking the dates.

Isn't it great to come back to something like this after a time.

Back in late 2004 I bought a Mondial but had been considering a Ferrari since 1998/9. The latest kid on the Ferrari block then was a 360. It took 11 years to get a 360 but here I am.

I'm an average bloke doing an average, IMO, job with a gorgeous fun car. How things turn out.

Pictures please :D

23. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! and RE: MalcH: It is, both in that its fulfilling and also shocking in how time flies (and everything in life that happened in between). I am very much your average bloke working hard for the chance to own and treasure such a beautiful piece of machinery as well.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics, I took delivery of the car last week, drove it 30 miles to the tire shop and back for some new sticky rubber, washed it, parked it, and had to go back home. When I get some time there will be pics :)

24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    #49 Sean F., Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Me too...2002 Manual. Love the color and get tons of compliments on it. It looks fantastic on a 360.

DUH, didn't see this was started 2-years ago!

25. sblvro

sblvro Karting

May 13, 2013
    Arkansas, FL, MI
    Congrats!