Another new owner | FerrariChat

Another new owner

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 82Black8, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    Hello... I'm Bob Fay from Graham, WA, and we have just agreed to purchase an 82 Mondial 8 from my wife's brother. He's had the car , in Miami, for some 20 years, but health issues have forced him into selling. He's a whiz at mechanics and has done most of his own work over the years. We're getting the car at a very reasonable price, and we're really looking forward to having it here.
    I'd like to hear from other Ferrari owners in the Tacoma/Seattle area, and get together to compare notes.
    Not sure when we'll get the car up here; we have to find a reliable transporter... any suggestions out there?
    Contact me thru this forum, or email ([email protected]) or call 253-847-0657 h or 253-732-1014 c.
    I've only scratched the surface reading all the good info on this site, and hope to contribute as well as benefit from it.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 soucorp, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Hi Bob, welcome to the Mondi Group, best on Fchat! :)
    If you have an 82, its most likely a Mondial QV, not an 8 model.
    The Mondial 8 engine, although a DOHC design, used just two valves per cylinder. The 1982 Quattrovalvole or QV introduced a new four-valve head, the combustion chamber design was purportedly based on the early eighties Formula 1 engine. Again, the engine was shared with the contemporary 308 GTB/GTS QV, and produced a much more respectable 240 hp (179 kW). Appearance was largely as per the Mondial 8, although with red engine heads and prominent "quattrovalvole" script at the rear. 1,145 coupés were built between 1982 and 1985.

You can download your car's owners manual here: http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/The%20Documents/Owners%20Manual%20Mondial%20QV%201982.pdf

Your car is 30+ years, before you use your car as a DD, you need to know what condition your car is in, what parts has been changed and when, (i.e. cambelts, waterpump, filters, fluids, dry rotted rubber hoses/tires, etc) and what needs to be serviced soon if you don't want to be stranded or have a big repair bill waiting for you.

Respect to Tacoma/Seattle area Ferrari owners, I would stop by your biggest Cars n Coffee meet as it is a good starting place to meet like minded car enthusiast and owners.

Here is my site to find one in your area: Mikes Cars n Coffee site http://soucorp.wix.com/mikescarsandcoffee

Best

3. billh1963

billh1963 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2004
    Mid-state, South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bill H
    It could be an 8 depending on when the car was built and when it was registered. The 3.2 came out in 1985, however, my '85 QV (early build date) was definitely a QV and not a 3.2. There may have been some overlap.....

Only way to be sure...we need pictures!!!!

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes, theres some over lap with the model build dates. 3.2 coupes came out late 85 but the cabriolet 3.2 came out in 86. You must have an early 85 that still has the QV setup.
    Yes, lets see some pics new owners!!!

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Welcome to the Ferrari family Bob. I'm sure you will enjoy that car. This Mondial group of owner is the best. I've been here for a couple years and they made my Mondial experience a success. They will never let you down.

And like other said. PICS PLEASE ;-)

6. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    Thanks for the welcomes; we're looking forward to getting the car... As to pictures, what's the best way to post pics? As soon as we get some from brother Robert, and when we get the car here, you'll be inundated with them!!

7. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    If you have an 82, its most likely a Mondial QV, not an 8 model.

According to Robert, it's definitely an 8. It's black on black, which according to other info sites, is more rare than the reds.

Your car is 30+ years, before you use your car as a DD, you need to know what condition your car is in, what parts has been changed and when, (i.e. cambelts, waterpump, filters, fluids, dry rotted rubber hoses/tires, etc) and what needs to be serviced soon if you don't want to be stranded or have a big repair bill waiting for you.

I'll be looking for some experienced help, as well as a reputable shop in the area...

8. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Bob:

Welcome to the world of the Mondial. I'm in Seattle, so at least the same time zone. I'm an OK mechanica, i.e. I've done a belt change and dealt with many minor electrical gremlins and some HVAC problems, but you'll get much better information from this website than you will from me. I have read up a fair amount and can at least provide somedirection.

I have a 3.2 Cabriolet, but there should still be a lot of crossover. I'll pm you with contact information when I have a bit more time.

Peter

9. 82Black8

82Black8 Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Graham, Washington
    Full Name:
    Bob Fay
    Thanks, Peter..I don't have messenger set up, so it's best to call...253-847-0657 home or 253-732-1814 cell. Look forward to meeting you.

10. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 soucorp, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Bob, you probably dont want to post your phone and private info on an open forum.
    You just need to click on the private message on your top right corner under Welcome, XXXX and says Private Messages.

11. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Welcome and congratulations. The Mondial group here is one of the best.

12. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Congrats sounds like you have a great car!

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    You will enjoy the experience.
    Ron Frohock

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner