COTA's ALMS/WEC events? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

COTA's ALMS/WEC events?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by texasmr2, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is more in line with what I was thinking. It's not always possible for various reasons, but it usually is. Time is everything in vehicle extrication/rescue.

2. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    WEC appoints Andrew Craig to help COTA promote the Austin round of the WEC and get the brand out to North America.

WEC appoints former CART boss to support Austin race | Formula Austin | www.statesman.com

3. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm still editing my photos, but here's one shot of the @AudiR18_1 testing out at Haywood's Hill near COTA T10-11...We hear they'll be out there through Tuesday.

[​IMG]

4. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  6. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just Audi with only the #1 car as far as I know. Heard Porsche is coming in a week or two.

7. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    COTA has finally put the WEC on it's schedule of events, and now Atherton has come out & talked about it, too.

IMSA -

Google Translation from Corporate Legalese to English:

"COTA barely promoted this event last time around so now, like the WEC who hired a special liaison to make sure the race gets promoted, we're holding their hands and walking them through it step by step. They better be "switched on" & get it done this time around, or there may not be a next time."

8. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Heard Porsche will be out there testing & doing media Tues - Thurs this coming week.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm in, partying with the Tequila Girls...pics later bye!!!

10. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    So the Tusc series races first today then the WEC cars have the 6 hour event after?

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes. And Blue Oyster Cult in between.

12. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Sounds good to me! WEC have any streaming video? Maybe Audi or Porsche or Toyota live stream?

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I'm sure there will be live streaming.

What time does the WEC race start?

BHW

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thanks.

So, most of the race will take place at night then.

Photographers love that, ha!

BHW

15. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am also looking forward to this race, wish I was there.

16. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Foxsports2 is showing some college game. any streaming available?

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The usual suspects don't seem to be live streaming today.

Radio Le Mans is working though.

radiolemans.com

BHW

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #194 GuyIncognito, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ^^^d'oh! upside down. stupid iPhone

20. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yeah...so wtf is up with that bs? You dvr their program b/c they say they're showing you the whole race, then they just move it Fox Sports Go for the first 2 hours.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Audi celebrates second WEC season victory at Austin

• Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer won turbulent race in Texas
    • Audi took lead of the standings with second victory of the season
    • Audi R18 e-tron quattro celebrates one-two victory

Audi has celebrated the second consecutive one-two win in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC). Following their victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in June, Marcel Fässler/André Lotterer/Benoît Tréluyer (CH/D/F) in the fourth race of the season at Austin prevailed again. A sudden downpour of rain, red flags after a series of spins and a tactically challenging course of the race on a drying track converted the night race in Texas into a real thriller. Lucas di Grassi/Loïc Duval/Tom Kristensen (BR/F/DK) completed Audi’s success by taking second place.

The 20th race in the young history of the WEC was a classic that remained open up to the very end. After six hours of racing, the victorious Audi driver trio prevailed with a very narrow margin of 53 seconds against their team-mates. The round at the Circuit of the Americas treated the spectators to supreme suspense up to the checkered flag. The race had a regular beginning in bright sunshine and temperatures of more than 30 degrees centigrade. Audi put down an early tactical marker, opted not to change tires at the first pit stop, and advanced position by position. One and a half hours into the race drizzling rain set in that soon changed into a downpour. Audi made a timely switch from slicks to wets on both R18 e-tron quattro cars. While Benoît Tréluyer took the lead and Tom Kristensen third place, numerous competitors slipped into the gravel and came to a halt in dangerous places. Therefore, race control decided to red flag the race.

About 50 minutes later, the teams resumed the race behind the safety car. Both Audi diesel hybrid sports cars kept their rain tires when the race was restarted on a wet track. Fifteen minutes later, Audi Sport Team Joest decided to switch car number 2 to intermediates. On the tires designed for mixed conditions, Benoît Tréluyer defended the lead before changing to slicks an hour later. In the case of the sister car, the team opted for a different strategy. To save the switch to intermediates, the squad wanted to use the rain tires until conditions became dry enough for slicks. This tactical option resulted in one less pit stop. However, Tom Kristensen also had to first change to intermediate tires before being able to switch to slicks at the next pit stop. Following a recovery by Lucas di Grassi at the end of the race, car number 1 finished as the runner-up.

Audi decided the WEC race in North America in its favor last year as well. For Audi, this marked the 13th victory in 20 WEC races since the beginning of the World Championship in 2012. On achieving this most recent success the squad of Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich and Chris Reinke, Head of LMP, after four of eight races, took the lead in the WEC manufacturers’ standings for the first time. Round five on the WEC calendar will be held on the track at Fuji in Japan in three weeks from now.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What an ugly amateur start and restart.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I assume you're referring to the IMSA race, and yes that was amateur hour (the driver on pole for that race is a bit of a goober)

24. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy

At least you and I had a great view of the carnage. We were really darned close to the action. A bit more than the cameras from the angles I have seen.

The night race was mesmerizing and awesome. I have some pics but I think only 3 or 4 came out decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk