Castrol 0W-30 STP (GC) | FerrariChat

Castrol 0W-30 STP (GC)

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ed_Trottier, May 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    OK folks, and Dr. Haas, here is what I have painfully learned over last week, re Castrol German formula (GC).

BP/Castrol has totally "hosed it" in integrating their oil products. There is an SAE 0W-30 A/3, A/4 "Orange Label" oil produced in Belgium, with NO SPT additive package, AND an SAE 0W-30 "Red Label," WITH SPT, which I deduce is "German Castrol" (GC).

Got it? Same weight, Different additive package and Origin (Belgium vs Germany). OH, and did I mention that the geniuses at BP/Castrol assigned SAME Part #06244 to BOTH products ???

It is true that (at least) Advance Auto Parts carries Belgium (Orange) 0W-30 in some stores, and German (Red) 0W-30 in others. In my town...stores about 6 miles apart !!!

BP/Castrol is (apparently) unable to grasp this FUBAR. As for me, well, I have received three (2) orders of 4/6 and (1) order of 5/6 Qts...ALL the WRONG Belgium (Orange) 0W-30, so, I have written to Advance Auto Parts to arrange a "swap." Will keep all posed.

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know of any of our cars in this thread that recommend using 0W-30 weight oil.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    valve train got real quite

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    What weight??

5. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    Castrol USA informs that 0W-30 German/Belgium are SAME formula. Current product (I have ordered and used 4 cases) DOES contain SPT, and containers ARE labeled "Made in Germany." Having said that, I just changed to 0W-30 Castrol Edge with SPT and found it MUCH more quiet at "spin up" on cold start than Mobil 1 0W-40 in 2013 Murano V-6!!! Did it twice, same ambient temps, same overnight resting location, just to be sure. Seems much less "clattering" and "clacking." I am going to this Castrol in our '89 928GT and '97 MB 500SL, as well already in Ferrari 400i GT.