18775 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GreggG, Jul 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow, that's tempting just for the investment potential given where GT4s have been going.

3. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It looks like it has California plates on it...perhaps Maryland has a similar looking plate to the 70's CA plate.

On second look, its probably not CA, since it is a 7 digit plate, and CA plates in the 70's were just 6 digits.

4. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    great just as i buy somthing else, that always happens!

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Nope..it is a blue California plate. Late 80s blue plates were 7 digits....

6. guitnwithit

guitnwithit Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Well, you went from wanting 365 GT4 on the 21st to buying a 348 on the 24th !?!
    You didn't even give it chance !!!

7. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #7 zc911, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    I am impatient lol. I don't mind very happy with what I got:D
    I have been looking for longer than when I made the post, not just for a 400i but for a 348 or 355 as well. Just a good ferrari to drive at a reasonable price.
    already gone, bet he got a ton of calls. Someone got a smokin deal

8. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    This is my car. I had decided to sell it. I was not using it. I was surprised when a friend of mine who I had entrusted the car to, called me and said he had it sold. He placed the ad on Craig's List without my knowledge. But I approve of his actions.

He said that there was an immediate response that was pretty strong. With some saying that it was offered for too little.

I will have some pictures up in a while.

There is a gentleman's agreement in place. The car has been spoken for, and I believe it is going to a good home. I will let the new owner share his good fortune with our community if he should wish to.

There are still some little details to be tended too. But I think we will both be happy.

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    The ad is no longer up on Craigslist. How much did you list it for?

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    It was listed for $24500 or something like that. I say it was way undervalued. 365 values have been steadily climbing this past year or two. It was priced like an automatic 400i with needs--not like what looked like a solid 365.

You could have gotten quite a bit more for it.....probably 5 figures more for it at the very least if it was as advertised.

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just a quick note that I am the fellow that purchased 18775 from Stan. The car only arrived home last night and so it will be a while before I clean her up and take some good pics! Overall 18775 is a nice solid and unmolested car... all of the bits and pieces are all there and have not been mucked with or changed throughout its life. The car runs and drives very well. The car does have needs, but this is to be expected given its age and that it is mostly original. I am very pleased with the car.

Getting it home was a bit of an effort, as there were very few transport carriers willing to go up North... adding to this the need for an enclosed carrier, made it even tougher. However, after about 3 weeks a carrier was found and the compromise was that I had to meet the carrier in Montana (about 600 miles South of me) and then bring the car the home myself ... the journey was completed last evening.

As for the transaction... Working with Stan was an absolute pleasure and the whole process was very painless. Stan was most gracious dealing with my US Border paperwork details that were needed by the Border agents. You see the US Border requires cars to be "exported" and so certain documents had to be completed in specific ways otherwise problems would result. Thankfully this was all sorted and the physical US exporting process was fast and trivial... Even the Canadian Importation side was trivial as well. I guess having all of the bits, pieces, and details they needed made life easier for both the Agents and for me. I have to say I was really impressed at how well my girlfriend and I were treated by both the US and Canadian border agents. It was a very pleasant experience!

Anyway, I will post photos and details of the car over the next few weeks...

Cheers,

Sam

12. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I took 18767 from Canada to the US and you took yours from the US to Canada so the balance of the universe has been restored!

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day AK Jim,

Indeed, I now feel a balance in the Force :) ...

Also, can I ask what year your car is? I ask, as 18775 is registered as a '73, but the chassis number places the car in '75 ... Knowing where yours is at would help to establish the actual year of manufacture... not that I need it here, but it is good to know and document.

Secondly, I found some really cool history on 18775 today...the original importer (to the US) /owner used the car as his personal golf cart! ... This was fine with the Golf course, as he owned this and a few other courses too.

Were you able to trace the history of your car?

Cheers,

Sam

14. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    #14 GreggG, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    Well, I guess that explains why we were not the beneficiaries of the typical "just adding documentation" for the historical record post.

FWIW, Marcel provided the following details, re: 18539:

Chassis frame sent to Carrozzeria Pininfarina on the 26th March 1975; and

7th May 1975 completion date.

Marcel seems very generous when in comes to information sharing with owners. If you ask, he may give you this and more.

Congrats!

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day GreggG,

Thank you!

I did capture the doc, but got sidetracked with posting its details (I have had a very chaotic several months). That being said, I thought that once all was said and done I would post all the info... I thought it would have been sooner, but I never expected the to have the transport process to take as long as it did. I must say it was an eye opener for me, as I can transport virtually any size crate from anywhere in the World to my City with a single phone call... for a car... not so much... I guess I am unaware of the automobile transport logistics.

As for Mr. Massini...I did try and contact him, but alas I received no response. I even tried with my Boxer a number of years ago and had the same result and so I must assume that I somehow offended him in some way. I am not sure how I did this, as I very politely asked if he could help, but I received no response at all.

Anyway...I was able to trace back the history to 1979... In 1979 the car was purchased from Saudi Royalty that had the car in a collection. Then there is a gap until I found what looks to be the first owner and production date... I found this info just this evening from "The Ferrari Serial Numbers part I" book by Raab... a book that I forgot I had. Here it states that 18775:
    - was made October 22, 1975
    - the first owner was Meita (Dealer) delivered in Italy
    - assembly number 449, body number 486
    - coach builder was Pininfarina

And for 18539 that you mentioned, Raab States the same production date you mentioned along with:
    - the first owner was Bonide (Person) delivered in Italy
    - assembly number 396, body number 422

Thanks again for the additional info, as it triggered my memory of the Raab book, but also it helped to verify the Raab info too!

Cheers,

Sam

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day AK Jim,

In case you do not have the Raab Book... here is what it states for 18767:
    - Production date: November 7, 1975
    - the first owner was Crepaldi (Dealer) delivered in Italy
    - assembly number 454, body number 493

Cheers,

Sam

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    Enjoy it Sam !

18. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is fantastic news, Sam!!!!! Congratulations and I hope that you have many happy miles and smiles with your new car!

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    18767: The first private owner was Mr. Adamo in Milan, Italy, not Crepaldi (he was just the dealer at the time).

Marcel Massini

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Very sorry but I never received any emails from you. However, I do get about 200 Ferrari-related emails and inquiries every single day, 24/7, from all over the world, and it is therefore easily possible that an unidentified email went straight into the spam. It is just plain impossible to handle it all.
    I very rarely check and answer PM's on fchat, simply because it is way too much. Emails only. And if I travel (which I do a lot) then one will have to wait weeks if not months for replies. Thanks for understanding.

Marcel Massini

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is not Meita.

The correct Name is META. This is the abbreviation for Middle East Trading Agency, a company which sold several Ferrari 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxers as well as two 365 GT4 2+2 in Arab countries. 18775 is one of the two META cars, originally Blu Tourbillon with Beige VM 3218 interior. The other 365 GT4 2+2 sold new by META is 18859, originally Grigio Mahmoud 2.443.931 with Beige VM 3234 interior.

Marcel Massini

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mr. Massini,

Thank you very much for your post! Indeed, given the magnitude of the inquiries you receive it is impressive that you have the time to view and post here at all! That being said, I totally understand and my apologies for my misunderstanding.

Cheers,

Sam

23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day again Mr. Massini,

Thank you for the additional information and the correction! With this it looks as if the history of 18775 is virtually complete, as I was told that the car was purchased out of the Emirates ... which you have also stated. 18775 is still sporting its original colors, except that there looks to be some sort of a repaint to some areas, but thankfully no color change.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond with this fantastic information!

Cheers,

Sam

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brett,

Thank you! I will do my best !

Cheers,

Sam

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

Thank you very much! Sadly, there will be no miles this year, as our nasty weather has arrived somewhat earlier than expected... however, the smiles are certainly there!

Cheers,

Sam