Recommended method for jacking? | FerrariChat

Recommended method for jacking?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Roadking80134, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    I'm looking to do an oil change and maybe brake pads on my 2004 360. I've seen a few thoughts on how to elevate the car. Some include rolling the car onto a set of ramps, jacking the other end and using jackstands on one end. What procedure have you USED successfully to elevate the car, allowing access to remove the belly pan and also remove the wheels for a brake change?
    Thanks!
    Rick Slan

2. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Bought two pieces of 8ft 4" x 4" post from Home Depot and had them cut it into 8 pieces. Used a low profile racing jack to jack up each corner and placed 4 pieces under each wheel. Gives you a tolerable distance to get to the underside....don't forget to put the parking brake on (-: .... got the idea from another FC post.

3. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    ...ooops! can't do the brakes this way!

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    First jack the car using the cut out holes in the belly pan in front of rear tire. The entire side of the car will rise. Place rams under the rear wheel and jack stand behind front wheel at jack point. Car will now have one side in the air. Go to opposite side of car and do the same. Car now in air with jack stands behind front wheels and rear wheels resting on ramps. Remove belly pan. To be able to remove rear wheels, you must now jack up the rear and swap the ramps out for jack stands in the rear. Be careful and go slow. I always leave the jack in place as a backup.

5. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
  6. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    Or, do as Skippr1999 suggests but rather than use a ramp for the rear wheels, place jack stands on the outboard end of the suspension link shaped like a wing. Don' t put a stand in the middle; the link will dent. But where the welded reinforcements are on the outboard end, it's plenty tough. That way you can easily remove all the wheels and do a brake job plus have more room to drain the engine and/or transmission oil.

7. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve