Yet another engine noise | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yet another engine noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, Aug 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    hahaha yes I remember. I can also remember he didn't speak Dutch ;) so we can question if he is really from Burges!

---------------------------------------------------------

Okay so I did an initial check this morning taking off inner fender and cover of the waterpump and alternator wanting to take off the belts. It looks like the cam belt is to loose. I can wiggle it too much on the spot down the cam pully.

I try to fix it this afternoon to see if the sound stays away.

2. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    When were the belts done last and by who? That won't be the noise though matey...

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    By me myself and I :) I did them just before Italy (2nd time) 5000km ago and I checked valves a 1000km ago (2 were too tight). I'll make a vid tomorrow morning as it was hot today and no sound with test start, didn't drive. Did not had the chance anymore today to look at the belt.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I was wondering if that engine rattle/knock was drive into gearbox noise.
    Might be worth pressing the clutch and see if it goes.
    So the ''marble'' noise was the AC pump, was that a bearing?

5. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I was wondering if that engine rattle/knock was drive into gearbox noise.
    Might be worth pressing the clutch and see if it goes.
    So the ''marble'' noise was the AC pump, was that a bearing?

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    "Marble" noise was indeed the AC pump. That job is for the winter. I placed it now without belt and need unfill it as it is still full with R12, before I can look into it.

Let's hear tomorrow what what noises we hear, some might be gearbox related. I actually have a noice when things are heated up, but that is not the flapping noise I hear now.

7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    My belt tension was not good of the front bank. Now the flapping noise is gone. Also the Alternator needs new bearings as I have some play on the shaft. Not sure if this is the sound you are hearing or the other one that appears to me a too lose valve sound, which is strange as everything appears to be within the normal ranges. I didn't had this sound before valve adjustment.
    Bell for the record When I push my clutch pedal it stays.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-NW8Gsfco[/ame]

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey MvT, watching you handling the belt on the long side, it does't look that loose to me only, a tiny tiny bit but it's still in spec.
    Alternator bearing is on it's way out for sure.
    Water pump is good.
    My computer is not that load but I can't say that your engine is that noisy now, and the rattle I heard was as you turned the motor off and may have been linked with the ac sound anyway.
    Check out my video to varify belt tension it's got 3 methods there as you know and they are all cross ref.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-bpUziJag]Ferrari Cam Belt Change Mondial/328/308ish - YouTube[/ame]

All the best Bell.

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #59 MvT, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll have a close listen when I shut her off. Last week I tensioned the belt and got my alternator back yesterday with new bearings. 30 Euro (40 USD) 27year old grease is again not what it is used to be...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login