Audi S3 | FerrariChat

Audi S3

Discussion in 'Other German' started by scoobysteve, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    My local Audi dealer got in their first S3s this past week so I decided to take a look. Just a few observations:

- In Daytona Grey this car is stunning
    - The optional 19" wheels look amazing
    - I would best describe the interior as "intimate"
    - They had 5 in their initial allocation and have already sold 3
    - Absolutely horrific lease rates, the salesman mentioned he could get me into a 2014 S4 for $240 less per month (ouch!)

Is anyone else looking at these? I absolutely love the interior and the proportions. I love the feeling os the small car with a powerful engine and stiff suspension.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I want to stay with audi for my next car, but it won't be an A/S3 unless they bring back the hatchback.

The new cars are great looking in and out.

3. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Honestly, unless you're addicted to some of the tech features and things, I'd go with a Mk7 Golf R and save a bunch of pennies. That's the direction I would be going except:

1. I *REALLY* want a car with adaptive cruise control
    2. For work I just don't think the VW Golf is mature and or high-end enough. I'm in a business where appearances matter.

4. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Saw one yesterday actually. I liked it a lot, definitely better looking than the Merc CLA (IMO).

5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I drove a smaller-engined A3 in Germany earlier this year including laps of the Ring, and had a ride in an S3.
    The Audi looks sharp and was fine for cruising the autobahn but for driving pleasure (and not really much, if any, sacrifices to comfort) would MUCH prefer an M135i. Not sold here though :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xwecTp91-o

when our E39 528i is due for replacement I'm leaning towards a 5-door Golf GTI. Most of the performance and interior quality of an A3 for what $10k less?

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    The CLA is a platypus on wheels.

7. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Hah! Not one model in the Mercedes-Benz range is attractive these days. The SL was always the most striking but even that one now has a hanging butt ugly butt. Audi is making handsome cars as always and BMW has cleaned up the horrific mess after the cross eyed Bangle era.

8. scoobysteve

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    It's funny, when it first came out I thought it was striking and beautiful and the Audi was bland and boring. But as time has passed, the Audi has enduring handsomeness and the MB is just looking funny and overplayed.

9. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Maybe wait for the Golf R when it comes out in a few months?

10. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    S3 hands down!

11. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    IMO, there is only one vital flaw with Audi's S/RS cars, and this is coming from a long time Audi fan and owner, the flaw is the lack of manual gearbox in the lineup. After living with a DD with DSG for 4 years, I will NEVER buy another for as long as there is a manual option available on the market. All of these dual clutch transmissions may be great on the track, but they are beyond just plain boring on the street.

12. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    +1 Mercedes has taken over from the Bangle era BMW as some of the most unattractive cars produced. Rarely see them in Colorado thankfully. Audi on the other hand are quite attractive.

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    While I do wish the A/S3 came with RWD now that I've driven the car for 2 years it makes sense why. The wheelbase is really too short to get good traction if playing around or at the track. The A3 is the least offensive FWD I've ever driven. And I get plenty of driving pleasure out of it.:D

It's hideous. The CLA looks like a modern version of the late 90's/early 2000's Ford Taurus.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have a 2014 S4 and has a 6 spd manual transmission...one of the main reasons we got this model. You can get a manual in the S5 as well. Could not get a 3 series
    BMW with the big engine and 4wd. Audi worked best for us.

I believe the S3 only comes with DSG. Looks like manuals are going to be very hard to find going forward.

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I'm waiting for the A3 Clubsport Concept (basically an RS3), I sat in one of the first A3s our deal got and loved it, very nice, love the interior, so hopefully the RS3 will be similar to the concept.