First car for nephew | Page 2 | FerrariChat

First car for nephew

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Thomas Magnum, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vroom

vroom Karting

Sep 9, 2007
    Pasadena
    I bought a E36 M3 sedan auto for my teenage sons, cheap, fun, safe. Now for sale. White/tan, 136,000 miles, new stereo, very clean.

2. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  3. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I would not suggest any older BMW as a teen's first car unless he or his dad are good with a wrench. Yes they are well built but at some point each model has its needs. I keep and maintain 2 E46s and a 5 series E39. I had an E36 M3. The parts for M cars can be really pricey. If you want bullet proof, the E39 is the better choice. Its about twice the car the E36 and E46 are. Very safe too, tank-like. I'd look at a 2003 525 or 530. The V-8s are more problematic plus I wouldn't put my teen in something with that much power. A 525 manual seems pretty good. I like the idea of forcing them to learn shift cars. They cannot do other things while they are driving that way and have to pay more attention. Also the manual 5's will have less maintenance. The autobox is a $2500 part used.

If it were my kid it would be a 90's Cadillac with 2 plugs pulled. ;)

4. scoobysteve

scoobysteve Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2004
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    I'm surprised no one here has mentioned a mid-2000s Honda Civic Si. It's a coupe. It's fun. It's well-made and reliable. There's a 2006 on eBay with 107,000 miles, looks clean, $9600 BIN.

5. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We're (they're) currently looking at a 2006 Civic Coupe. I guess that's what he's wanted all along. I've seen a lot for much less than $9600 with comparable miles.

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Look in Houston and come visit!!!

Lots of used cars in this town....

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm coming to visit one of these days. Look forward to it Tex.

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Make sure you get a manual transmission. It makes them better drivers in the end. Don't skimp out with anything automatic--no matter how tempting.

9. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I agree and said as much. Again, they have their parameters, and an automatic is one of them. Dad is not a car guy. Nephew likes my 308 but not really into cars. In fact, every Ferrari model, remote control, poster, etc., I bought for him through the years has found its way back to me and now my son. I'm not close enough to influence him in cars like I desire. It is what it is. He's a good kid.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Convince them it's safer. Safer always wins out. Heck, even a manual transmission Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (probably cars you wouldn't desire) would be fine.

Car guy or no car guy. Manuals are safer for new drivers.

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Sounds like an expert........not. A Miata would be a fine first car. Mazda 3 would as well.

12. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've seen some Fiat Abarth's pretty cheap lately.

13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #38 PureEuroM3, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    First car, by the sounds of what you are saying, for your nephew should be either a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla/Matrix, or a Subaru.

You can't go wrong with the reliability of these cars and the maintenance is also cheap. Subaru vehicles are known to be bulletproof and, depending on the location, great in the winter!

Mazda (older ones in the price range) will consume more fuel and have a more expensive maintenance cost.

A lease is a good idea however I typically suggest leasing for a younger individual if they have a steady job that they need reliable travel for and/or driving to school. Most 16 year olds can afford a day where the car doesn't start (parents car, friends, get a ride etc...).

With that price I would also keep an eye open for some domestics. They will be cheaper vs the imports. One trick of course is remember the cross usage of platforms such as the Pontiac Vibe being a Toyota Matrix.

The final trick I have is see if you can find a 2008 or so Saturn Astra. This vehicle is basically an Opel and if you find the right model batch/year (forgot exactly what it is) the vehicle will be made in Europe/Germany. If someone can find the exact details on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I spent years advising younger individuals about cars so if you need anything else just pm me.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    She was speaking from an insurance perspective based on what she'd seen in the past. Since I don't see car insurance quotes every day, and don't have 20 years experience, I took her advice.

15. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I saw a few good BMW E39's on eBay for you. Some even had manual transmissions. Tell the parents that you cannot text and drive while driving a manual. In fact you cannot do much more than drive the damned car!

16. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Excellent point.

I don't know what all the "E" numbers are for BMWs, but I bought my daughter a 330 (E46, I think?!?) to use here in here in Kuwait and she liked it so much she wanted one in the US to replace her ageing Jeep Grand Cherokee, so, I bought her one there, too.

She's 22, just finishing college (in December, finger's crossed), and really likes the car. Comfortable, good gas mileage, no problems, easy to drive and park...

Just my .02.

Mike

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Why does the car have to be a coupe or "mid-late 2000s"? Buy the kid a MKI MR2 for $2K and he will be cool, his car will not break down and he will learn what driving is all about.

The SC430 is a joke and a money pit.

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ended up with a 2005 Scion. Everyone is happy, especially my nephew. Thanks all.