Rear brake pad replacement | FerrariChat

Rear brake pad replacement

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Beefcakes, Sep 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beefcakes

Beefcakes Rookie

Nov 14, 2013
    I am being advised to replace my worn out cc rear brakes at 11,000 miles, I've tracked the car three times this seems awful premature please advise?

2. pride355

pride355 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Full Name:
    MOT
    I have changed both front-rear rotors @10.000 km.
    The rears were ok (@%40 worn-out) but the fronts had lost surface smoothness so that when I brake, the steering wheel was shaking/vibrating.

I have re-furbished all 4 of my rotors and changed my brake pads to Pagid.
    The vibration has gone on braking and stopping power seems to be good. I'll test on 14th of September when I take my car to the Track.

3. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    metals or carbon disc on your car ?

4. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    The car eats the rear pads, especially if you're driving in Race-mode. The stability-system works with rear-brake inputs, as well as the traction-control and cornering-aid. If you track the car regularly use CT-off to save the rear brakes...

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I can live with changing brake pads often, but not the ceramic carbon disks. Those should last a long time.

Please clarify if "race mode" wears out the disks quickly or just the pads?

Btw, did someone say they refurbished or refinished ceramic carbon disks?? It's my understanding that ceramic carbon disks don't wear away the same as steel. Instead their life is a function of heat cycles. Anybody knowledgeable on this topic please chime in :)

6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Wet, Sport and Race mode use the rear brakes as part of Stability Control and Traction Control, the mechanicals are really impressive but the software that runs it more so.

As a result, when you drive hard (i.e., on track), the car is using the rear brakes (one side or both) and throttle modulation to keep the car pointed where it thinks you want it to go. Hence, if you 1) track the car a lot 2) need a lot of help and/or 3) are really driving the car hard, it will consume the brakes, particularly the rear. The level of "aggressive intervention" is highest in Wet, then drops as you go thru Sport, Race, and until you go ESC OFF. At that point, it's all about skill and grip...

Generally speaking the pads will wear very quickly on track, but by definition, you're also wearing your rotors as well. Pad changes will be a multiple of the rotors (though unsure what the real-life ratio is..). On the 458C, I got an entire season out of the front rotors (4500km) but went through pads every 3-4 days. A lot depends on how you drive. CCM2 rotors are "lifed out" based on weight (grams), though the car's computer has an algorithm that tries to track rotor life based on usage. You (or your dealer) can see what the car thinks it has left on the rotors with a DEIS (or SD3, or....etc). The other factor is how well you've bedded the pads - makes a big difference on brake performance. (lots of previous threads on this topic with 458 brakes)

As for refurbs, have not seen any data on refurb'd CCM2 rotors. I believe Taurino Racing has tried some refurb rotors for the older-gen 430C CCB's but I have heard little about how they worked.

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
  8. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Hey Beefcakes, what's the cost estimate for the replacement of the rear brakes (assuming rotors + pads).?

9. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    On my Italia the rear pads were due after 25000 km. The cost was a little south of 2000 Euros... BTW at that moment the car showed rotor-usage was 1% front and 2% rear...

10. TomTom77

TomTom77 Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2013
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just changed the pads (front and back) on my Speciale, after less than 6k km of mileage, driving hard on the track and is the deserted mountain roads here. Price of the set was 6k USD including fitting. And worth every penny...

11. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm at 7500 miles and i am going to have to replace the fronts shortly which are 80% worn...they asked me if i have been tracking it much! :)

12. racingbrake

racingbrake Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2014
    Fullerton, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren